By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - COD Mobile Loot Box Scam

VAMatt said:

Seems extremely unlikely to be the case.  Activision knows how sensitive everyone is to loot boxes right now, so they'd have to be pretty stupid to think they could get away with lying about the odds.  

But, if that's true, they're clearly guilty of fraud.  They'll also be facing a class action lawsuit in short order.  These two factors make it even less likely that they're lying though.  They know they'd get caught if they did.  

Activision-Blizzard, I guess more the Blizzard side but still, very recently lied to us, so yeah they are that stupid to think we're that stupid.

Around the Network

Don't buy loot boxes, problem solved. If the users voted with their wallets by not buying outrageous deals instead of only crying, companies would do something.

CuCabeludo said:
Don't buy loot boxes, problem solved. If the users voted with their wallets by not buying outrageous deals instead of only crying, companies would do something.

I think most of the people "crying" don't buy them. However, only a small percentage of the playerbase need buy into microtransactions for them to be massively profitable. Activision-Blizzard with these practices are mainly targeting people labeled as whales, those who spend unreasonable amounts of money on this stuff.

Also, think about the good hard working employees and their rightfully earned money you'd be robbing them of by not buying into these practices! We just can't have that, it our responsibility as consumers to make sure employees get paid, otherwise we're as bad as an authoritarian regime that suppresses and murders it's people!

Lonely_Dolphin said:

It'll make the greedy publishers more money so it's fine. Anyone who stops paying in the game will be hurting said publishers and are thus the equivalent to communist.

FIFY.

And Activi$ion being scummy? Big surprise.

KManX89 said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:

It'll make the greedy publishers more money so it's fine. Anyone who stops paying in the game will be hurting said publishers and are thus the equivalent to communist.

FIFY.

And Activi$ion being scummy? Big surprise.

But it also hurts the employees, the OPer told me so! Now you could say it's their responsibility to either find work elsewhere or stay knowing the upper-management is corrupt and deal with the potential consequences, but that's dumb! It's clearly our job as consumers to make sure the poor employees get paid regardless of how we feel about the company and their products.

Around the Network
VAMatt said:
How is it a scam? Is Activision telling people something different than the reality here? I see no evidence of that.

At this point, everyone understands (or, should understand) how loot boxes work. We also understand that these games have to make money somehow. Activision isn't forcing anyone to play, and they damn sure aren't forcing people to spend $150 to get some stupid in-game crap. Acti is monetizing their game in a way that entices people to spend money, just like every successful business in the history of mankind has done. But, they aren't forcing anyone to do anything, and (from what I can see) they aren't lying to anyone about how the games makes money. So, there's really nothing to see here.

If someone spends hundreds of dollars in a video game to buy skins and weapon crates, they should take a look in the mirror and think about why they're being so irresponsible with their money. People need to take responsibility for their own poor choices.

I agree with part of what you mentioned. I don't care for loot boxes or MTXs as long as it doesn't affect my Solo play and no Pay to Win in MP modes. However they still need to do them correctly.

This is at face value lying to your customers. They are saying you have a chance on winning purple items by a said % however 2 of those purple items seem to be at a 1% chance to drop and are basically guaranteed to drop on the players 8th to 10th spin meaning they have to spend over $100 in the Store buying CP points. 

The players don't know that, they spend money believing they have a fair chance on winning what they want since it falls in the purple category which is a 42% chance however they purposes placed two of the super rarest items in the purple slots making gamers spend more to spin more when knowing that at a 1% chance to drop its next to imposable.

As a good example, imagine going to a show to win a prise, and they say you have a 30% chance on winning a prise but really its only a 1% to make you continue paying. That's basically what's happening here.

Those super rare items should be moved in another category so gamers know that they wont be winning them any time soon rather than mislead them in thinking they can. There is already refunds being sent out and investigations are being made in there gambling system. Will see what happens in the future.

Video Gambling Chartz (2030)

HOT TOPICS
'Are You A Hardcore VGambler? Explain'.
'Video Gambling. How Did We Get Here?'
'COD Mobile Surpasses GTA:V As Highest Grossing Entertainment Product Ever!'

VAMatt said:
How is it a scam? Is Activision telling people something different than the reality here? I see no evidence of that.

At this point, everyone understands (or, should understand) how loot boxes work. We also understand that these games have to make money somehow. Activision isn't forcing anyone to play, and they damn sure aren't forcing people to spend $150 to get some stupid in-game crap. Acti is monetizing their game in a way that entices people to spend money, just like every successful business in the history of mankind has done. But, they aren't forcing anyone to do anything, and (from what I can see) they aren't lying to anyone about how the games makes money. So, there's really nothing to see here.

If someone spends hundreds of dollars in a video game to buy skins and weapon crates, they should take a look in the mirror and think about why they're being so irresponsible with their money. People need to take responsibility for their own poor choices.

Just read down as far as this, but you should watch the videos or read the OP's post before replying like this.

The boxes which suggest a random chance at the loot inside them are BS, there isn't even a 1% chance of the item from boxes 1-8 and it will always appear from box 9/10, the odds are incorrect which they are displaying, the item literally has a 0% chance to drop from boxes 1-8.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive