Forums - Movies Discussion - Well, Box Office Mojo's new design sucks. And it's a money grab.

COKTOE said:

I feel for ya bro. It's frustrating to have something you liked instantly turned into stinking garbage. Hello even a minor loss sucks. Like how Imgur no longer has a text editor. They explained to me why it's no longer there, and it's nothing nefarious, but still. Sucks.

And you even had a project you were working on deep-sixed. If I were you, I'd be muttering as I made my way to the liquor store for sure.

I'm still able to finish it. The problem is that I have to do a ton of math now thanks to them removing the Adjuster tool, which does not work on the Internet Archive copy of the site. It was so easy to find out a film's inflation-adjusted gross, and I needed to know the grosses of the original releases of a bunch of films. This is going to slow me down tremendously.

venomcarnage said:

Information is a valuable currency only so long that you are gonna get it for free without having to pay. The net is not gonna stay the wild wild west forever.

It's still bullshit. Wikipedia is still free to use and it's one of the single largest repositories of information on the web. Amazon chose to do this, not because they needed to but because they wanted to. BOM had been doing perfectly fine for 20 years without charging a dime for any of the data on their site. The NPD Group was giving out hardware and top 10 software numbers for years, then one day they stopped, not because they had to but because they wanted to. Media Create did the same after 16 years of free numbers.

This is greed, pure and simple. Corporations don't just want money. They don't just want a lot of money. They want ALL of the money, and if they have to stiff everyone and turn everything they can into a commodity, they'll do it. They will squeeze us all dry given half the chance.

thismeintiel said:

Well that fucking sucks. I loved being able to see all films adjusted for ticket price inflation. And the new layout sucks, too.

Edit: I just realized that now the Top Inflated doesn't even label if a film had rereleases or just one.

Shit. I didn't even notice that until you pointed it out. At least on the individual film pages they still have the grosses of the individual releases.

darkenergy said:
Hope the numbers don't follow suit as well, by the way capitalism has always sucked Shadow but it's mostly millennials that are rejecting it and turn to Bernie Sanders for inspiration.

It sucks even more now, though. Back when my parents were kids, the economy worked for everyone. Companies paid their workers decent wages, and their executives weren't lavished with more money than King Solomon. For the most part, they made good, reliable products; my parents bought some Kenmore appliances from Sears back in the early 80s and they worked just fine for over 20 years (the microwave still works). The government wasn't afraid to regulate a company guilty of producing negative externalities. But a combination of technological advancements and a move towards "shareholder capitalism" that began in earnest in the 80s has produced the system we see today. A system where planned obsolescence has been given steroids and where the right to repair increasingly shoddy products has been undermined at every turn, where subscriptions and other forms of unnecessary monetization are making everything from the internet to video games a worse experience, where executives get paid increasingly large sums while their employees deal with stagnant wages and disappearing benefits, where the right of workers to organize has been effectively destroyed in most sectors of the economy. Every single shitty business practice is all the same bullshit, a con job designed to squeeze as much money as possible out of everyone while giving as little back as possible. We haven't reached a "Gilded Age 2.0," but we're getting there. I'm not opposed to the idea of someone running a private for-profit business in an of itself, but I am opposed to this modern shareholder-focused, growth-focused style of corporate capitalism where the world is being run into the ground just to make some rich assholes richer at the expense of everyone else.

Around the Network

Yeap not feeling the new look.

Not only does the new look suck the website now has less information the all time world wide top grossing movies only lists the top 200 now before the chance it was over a thousand that where listed and the yearly world wide top grossing list is no longer available either.

The new redesign has been a disaster. They are also updating the news less quickly. Box Office Mojo is one of my most visited sites. I follow the industry closely and am studying to be a filmmaker. Why did they go and have to make it so horrible? Trying to push IMDB Pro subscriptions?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Signalstar said:
The new redesign has been a disaster. They are also updating the news less quickly. Box Office Mojo is one of my most visited sites. I follow the industry closely and am studying to be a filmmaker. Why did they go and have to make it so horrible? Trying to push IMDB Pro subscriptions?

I have a feeling that's the reason. It's not just the shitty layout that bothers me. It's the fact that so much information that used to be available on the website is now locked behind a paywall. Some of it appears to be gone period (there doesn't appear to be an adjuster tool even on the IMDb Pro page; I've always adjusted for inflation, but now I need a calculator to do all that myself). Fortunately I've been able to find all the information I needed for my project on the Internet Archive, but still, either IMDb or their parent company Amazon is responsible for one of the worst site redesigns in recent memory. Getting answers from anybody is impossible, too, as they don't seem to respond to anyone through any channel. Even when the media reported on this IMDb or BOM staff never made any statements in response. They're just proceeding as if BOM was always this way.

Around the Network

Apparently, The Numbers is getting a big influx of viewers/users. I think I'll be using them from now on.

Tried using it last week and noticed it was different. Safe to say I probably won't use it again. While before I checked maybe once every 3 months now will probably be nothing.

It sucks even more now, though. Back when my parents were kids, the economy worked for everyone. Companies paid their workers decent wages, and their executives weren't lavished with more money than King Solomon. For the most part, they made good, reliable products; my parents bought some Kenmore appliances from Sears back in the early 80s and they worked just fine for over 20 years (the microwave still works). The government wasn't afraid to regulate a company guilty of producing negative externalities. But a combination of technological advancements and a move towards "shareholder capitalism" that began in earnest in the 80s has produced the system we see today. A system where planned obsolescence has been given steroids and where the right to repair increasingly shoddy products has been undermined at every turn, where subscriptions and other forms of unnecessary monetization are making everything from the internet to video games a worse experience, where executives get paid increasingly large sums while their employees deal with stagnant wages and disappearing benefits, where the right of workers to organize has been effectively destroyed in most sectors of the economy. Every single shitty business practice is all the same bullshit, a con job designed to squeeze as much money as possible out of everyone while giving as little back as possible. We haven't reached a "Gilded Age 2.0," but we're getting there. I'm not opposed to the idea of someone running a private for-profit business in an of itself, but I am opposed to this modern shareholder-focused, growth-focused style of corporate capitalism where the world is being run into the ground just to make some rich assholes richer at the expense of everyone else.

Preach.

Not trying to derail the conversation into a political one, but I agree that the shareholder focus has really screwed up the idea of a capitalistic economy. And what's sad is that people are more focused on blaming underprivileged people for entitlement programs or not getting a better job, when executives are making a thousand times more than the guys at the bottom who are doing all the work. They are even getting bonuses when they fail, but people have been trained to turn on each other instead of the people at the top lobbying for these corrupt policies that have shrunk the middle class while simultaneously creating more billionaires in the US than has ever existed before.

A few good reads on the subject are The Growth Delusion by David Pilling and The 7 Innocent Frauds of Economic Policy by Warren Mosler.

OT, It's a shame about boxofficemojo, because I always use that website. Now, it's almost worthless.

mZuzek said:
At least from an aesthetic point of view, it used to look quite ugly. Now it's... even worse, somehow..?

Welp.

Yupp... I have no idea how they managed that... Oh well. I still use the site, as there is no other real option out there, but the paywall and redesign do suck. 

Yeah, I hate Box Office Mojo now.  I used to go there all the time.  Now the website is more or less useless to me.  I basically hate every single thing about the new format, especially the lack of relevant data.