By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Outer Worlds Review Thread - 86 Metacritic / 85 Opencritic.

I'm really enjoying the different play styles. I'm just going into town building closing the door, murdering he people and stealing their stuff and leaving.

Last edited by jason1637 - on 25 October 2019

Around the Network
John2290 said:
Oh, wait. I take that back. I went back to PRO from OG and there is certainly a differencr, it's just hard to spot among the post processing. It does look a lot cleaner but in doesn't mattrr much to the eye and everything has soft edges any way.

The Pro and X should have some big differences to there OG models due to there patch sizes etc. I am waiting on Digital Foundry's analyst on the game across all platforms to know the differences.

Polyludic said:
Fallout Mass Borderlands?

I need to stick Firefly in there also.

Played more last night. I’m about ready to leave the first planet I guess, idk if that’s the next step. I’m loving how open ended and dialogue heavy the game is. I’m going to play the next play through entirely different.

This game is so good it makes me wonder how GamePass can be sustainable. Between this and Gears last month it seems too good. Next gen they should have a lot more releases with all the studios they bought.

shikamaru317 said:

I'm really enjoying it so far. It's like Fallout combined with Firefly, and I'm a big fan of both of those. Parvati, your first companion, is basically just Kaylee from Firefly (both mechanics, both have a good heart, both have similar speech patterns), and the music is very Firefly like. The gameplay systems though are very much so Fallout based. However, the game does feel a bit dated, Obsidian could have learned a thing or two about modern shooter design, since it is an RPG shooter afterall. Graphics are pretty dated as well. Hopefully these are both things that will be fixed on the sequel with a larger Microsoft budget to work with and maybe some assistance from 343 to improve the shooting mechanics.

That sounds great, two things I love as well. How long is the game though, I don't really feel like a 50 hour plus rpg.

John2290 said:

I really, really wanna delve deeper into the game but the visuals are sickening my stomach and inducing headaches. Why they would go to this degree of PP without sliders and options for the player to turn them off is beyond me, I'd take a lesser looking game with hard rough adges if it meant I could get rid of this chromatic aberation, it's like looking at an old 3d film with bad glasses. They eyes glow neon ffs, things that should glow ... glow and creatures and people look like they are in a cartoon that is attempting to illustrate the effects of radiation. It's so nauseating. 

So interested and willing yet so disappointed at near every turn by this game so far. I'm going to try to continue playing and suck all the saturation out with my TV settings, try and balance somewhere between B&W and this mess so I can enjoy the game without feeling ill.

Oh and Parvati is Ashly Burch in a southern tone but her Aloy voice is coming through quite strong, best thing so far in the mediocrity.

Ugh I hate chromatic abhoration, that does not sound pleasant to look at. Perhaps I'll wait for the PC (Steam) release, that should have the option to turn chromatic crap off as well as motion blur and other nonsense.

Around the Network

Just came across the list of banned names for this game. It's so scatter-shot that it's hilarious. Actually, why ban names for a single-player game ...?

And is "bimbo" really that bad of a name? Now I want to use that.

pokoko said:
Just came across the list of banned names for this game. It's so scatter-shot that it's hilarious. Actually, why ban names for a single-player game ...?

It's one of the worst words you can say in Germany. It's used to discriminate black people. 

pokoko said:

Some of the words Dev's/Publishers choose to censor is baffling. Just last night I was showing some players in a room I joined in EDF 5 how "Trump" is censored in free text, but "Hitler" is not. That game is soooo bad. One of the worst. "Class" is censored too, presumably because "Ass" part of the word. And again, that's not names, just regular text communication.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

crissindahouse said:
pokoko said:

It's one of the worst words you can say in Germany. It's used to discriminate black people. 

Wow.. good to know when travelling to Germany. In Finland it means a dumb blonde chick. 

I've just left the first planet. Really enjoying the game so far. I do wonder what it cost them to make. Everything is very pretty but you can also tell its not pushing the graphics envelope. You get the impression they've done a really excellent job of creating a stylised world with a set, limited budget. All the dialogue and options are top notch so far.

If I had one gripe, its the character being mute. I understand there are drawbacks to settling on a male and female voice actor and removing the ability of the player to imagine their voice however they'd like, but I do believe a decent voice actor for your character would improve engagement even further.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS