By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Outer Worlds Review Thread - 86 Metacritic / 85 Opencritic.

Finished , will score it 80 , the characters are well written and their dialogue is excellent , this upside while considerable is let down by being part of a generic rpg mixed with long loading screens that feels dated . otherwise it would have scored closer to 90.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network
starcraft said:
I've just left the first planet. Really enjoying the game so far. I do wonder what it cost them to make. Everything is very pretty but you can also tell its not pushing the graphics envelope. You get the impression they've done a really excellent job of creating a stylised world with a set, limited budget. All the dialogue and options are top notch so far.

If I had one gripe, its the character being mute. I understand there are drawbacks to settling on a male and female voice actor and removing the ability of the player to imagine their voice however they'd like, but I do believe a decent voice actor for your character would improve engagement even further.

I don't think a voiced charactet will improve anything. You need to read your choices before selecting one of it. Why would I need to hear my selection again when I already read it?

The other option would be a system of using renegade, paragon, romantic, calm etc. options without showing the text (or at least much of it) but that risks you selecting something that you wouldn't have chosen if you were able to read the full line beforehand.

starcraft said:
I've just left the first planet. Really enjoying the game so far. I do wonder what it cost them to make. Everything is very pretty but you can also tell its not pushing the graphics envelope. You get the impression they've done a really excellent job of creating a stylised world with a set, limited budget. All the dialogue and options are top notch so far.

If I had one gripe, its the character being mute. I understand there are drawbacks to settling on a male and female voice actor and removing the ability of the player to imagine their voice however they'd like, but I do believe a decent voice actor for your character would improve engagement even further.

It's pretty much their MO - even back in Interplay, with Fallout 1, although it was (and still is) one of the most memorable cRPGs ever to come to existence, limited budget was showing, and graphics, while decent, were not comparable to something like Baldur's Gate that released a year later (though it more than compensated with excellent world building and characters, great gameplay and uderlying mechanisms and superb soundtrack).

Arguably, most of the best c/w/RPGs are actually ones that are done on budget, being in AA (or even A) tier, not forced to catter to mass market sensibilities (too much) and trying something different.

Anyway haven't got to play OW yet, though I'm itching, but Disco Elysium is currently occupying me full time (fully narrative cRPG, one of the wierdest games I've ever played).

John2290 said:
I counted seven loading screens when I decided to drop the main quest and help a companion that wouldn't shut up. 7, just to get from where I was to where I wanted to be and it took 9 minutes. I don't have the patience for this, I'll finish the main game while dropping the difficulty and maybe load a save later to kill every NPC in the game. They shouldn't have done the ship hub world shite with this engine or came up with a technilogy to narratively circumvent the laoding screens this plentiful and long. I'm so disapointed with this title, it could havae been great with just a few other choices but settled for being mildly good in all most things to letting other more simple things slip into bad territory like graphics, QoL and overmap traversal.

You can fast travel from inside cities so that should eliminate a loading screen or two.
Also I don't think this game has more loading screens than others in the genre. Definitely less than last gen Bethesda games, where every single house had its own loading screen.
Also what's with companions not shutting up? They ask you to speak with them. Do it and accept the quest and you're done. They won't wanna talk to you again even if you're ignoring their quest.

Yeah if you fast travel inside a location it removes a loading screen. Learned that after a couple times of fast traveling to a door and then having to load again when I entered said door.

Around the Network
LudicrousSpeed said:
Yeah if you fast travel inside a location it removes a loading screen. Learned that after a couple times of fast traveling to a door and then having to load again when I entered said door.

Yeah it took me a while to figure out. I even tried to zoom out on the map screen using the stick but that didn't work. Then pressed a shoulder button on accident and saw that it was possible after all (it's even hinted on the map screen that it's possible to get a regional view but I overlooked that at first).
You can teleport right inside your ship as well, so that's pretty handy.

Barozi said:
starcraft said:

I don't think a voiced charactet will improve anything. You need to read your choices before selecting one of it. Why would I need to hear my selection again when I already read it?

The other option would be a system of using renegade, paragon, romantic, calm etc. options without showing the text (or at least much of it) but that risks you selecting something that you wouldn't have chosen if you were able to read the full line beforehand.

The easiest way to voice the MC , is to voice all the introductions and general speech that happens through games like this and leave the rest to text.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

mjk45 said:
Barozi said:

The easiest way to voice the MC , is to voice all the introductions and general speech that happens through games like this and leave the rest to text.

I'd be happy with this approach.

Re-reading my original post it sounds overly negative. On the whole this game is tracking about an 8.5 or 9 out of ten for me - I really like it. Just listing those few issues I do have.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Damn I’m already about to run out of space on my 4tb hard drive will have to get a new one, I’m going to need for next gen anyway.

This is coming to the Switch right?