By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: W41, 2019 (Oct 07 - Oct 13)

Jeez what’s Wrong with the Japanese they don’t Care about video games anymore?, I remember when dragon quest 7 on psx sold 4 million copies in Japan alone.

Around the Network

Typhoon Hagibis.

That's what happened to Japan.

So the sales have been... Gone With The Wind?

I'll see myself out

I meter of water in Tokyo.
I think this is enough to close some shops.
The storm started on Saturday morning.
Worst storm ever in more than 60 years.

So, I get that numbers are down overall, likely because of the typhoon. But I've gotta say I'm unimpressed with Switch Lite sales so far. I figured in Japan, of all places, the Switch Lite would be pretty popular and sell about as much as the regular Switch. But after just four weeks the Lite's now selling less than half of the regular. Maybe it will do better for the holidays, but I'm beginning to get skeptical about that.

Switch: SW-3707-5131-3911
XBox: Kenjabish

Around the Network
kenjab said:
So, I get that numbers are down overall, likely because of the typhoon. But I've gotta say I'm unimpressed with Switch Lite sales so far. I figured in Japan, of all places, the Switch Lite would be pretty popular and sell about as much as the regular Switch. But after just four weeks the Lite's now selling less than half of the regular. Maybe it will do better for the holidays, but I'm beginning to get skeptical about that.

Even in Japan, the lite will only sell better during holidays. It’s not a good enough product compared to the normal switch otherwise 

I think in Japan the better battery of the new regular switch is a better incentive than the smaller form factor of the switch lite.

When things are stabilized in Japan, I'm curious how much the Switch family's baseline will increase with the release of the Lite. Also, will software see a similar rise? I'm going to be getting a Switch Lite plus both Sword and Shield next month so that I can play the game with my daughter.

It's very convenient for non-Switch owners to have a cheaper alternative if there's some games they are interested in playing, but at the same time I would expect attach rates to be "hurt" as it's likely that there will be many multiple-Switch households. I put "hurt" in quotes as I don't necessarily think that attach rates will decrease, but instead that they will rise at a slower pace than they have been.

I wonder if the knock on effects of the typhoon will carry on to this week as well. Sales aside, here's hoping the country and it's people can quickly recover.