By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Witcher 3 on Switch vs PS4 - The Complete Tech Breakdown DIgital Foundry Videos

Tagged games:

Is it a good port

Yes 32 58.18%

No 9 16.36%

It's an OK 14 25.45%

Total:55
Jpcc86 said:
Personally, I think its mediocre at best. The fact the full game can be ported seems to sidetrack from the real conversation. I guess the standard is so low nowadays that the fact that we can get the port at all is excuse enough for whatever technical shortcomings said port has.

Ark didn't get away with that excuse.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
Random_Matt said:
kazuyamishima said:
Why people keep saying switch it’s a 2015 technology? It’s an enhanced (quite better) version of nvidia shield.

About the game, Nintendo supporters never cared about graphics, but this port is outstanding. Yeah it looks blurry and downgraded compared with Ps4/xbone versions, but having the ability to play it on the go is a big plus!

Sorry, do gamers lie to themselves to make the themselves feel better? The Switch is heavily downclocked, it is weaker than the shield. Nintendo should of just rebranded them.

Obviously they do, as obviously the Switch is more than a rebranded shield - with the Joycons and all the input technology that Shield didn't had.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

The one thing I liked on the ports of Doom, Witcher and the like is how we finally won the "60fps is absolute necessary" to even low 20 being acceptable depending on the game.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

30 fps blows IMHO, I absolutely love 60 fps. Too each their own.

I don't care about framerate as long as I'm comfortable while playing.

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:

Even 60 isn't that great once you hit 120/144.

Random_Matt said:
Chrkeller said:

Maybe.  I'm console a guy, so I wouldn't know.  From my perspective graphics don't matter as much as gameplay.  fps directly impacts gameplay, hence it matters.

DonFerrari said:
The one thing I liked on the ports of Doom, Witcher and the like is how we finally won the "60fps is absolute necessary" to even low 20 being acceptable depending on the game.

The PS4 dips to the teens in cutscenes and dips to the mid 20s in the same areas the Switch dips.  You can see this in the link posted in one of my earlier replies, and you can compare it to the same scenes as the Switch framerate test.

Furthermore, most of the time the game runs at 30 fps on Switch.  No need to hyperbole like there is a huge gap in performance, because the PS4 did not so it much better.

So unless you want to lable the PS4 version as unacceptable, you really have no stance to state that the Switch version is.  At the end of the day, the trade off is visuals for portability, something that is subjective and valued differently from gamer to gamer.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Chrkeller said:
Random_Matt said:

Maybe.  I'm console a guy, so I wouldn't know.  From my perspective graphics don't matter as much as gameplay.  fps directly impacts gameplay, hence it matters.

So you should be pissed with 20-25fps of Witcher 3.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Shiken said:
DonFerrari said:

The PS4 dips to the teens in cutscenes and dips to the mid 20s in the same areas the Switch dips.  You can see this in the link posted in one of my earlier replies, and you can compare it to the same scenes as the Switch framerate test.

Furthermore, most of the time the game runs at 30 fps on Switch.  No need to hyperbole like there is a huge gap in performance, because the PS4 did not so it much better.

So unless you want to lable the PS4 version as unacceptable, you really have no stance to state that the Switch version is.  At the end of the day, the trade off is visuals for portability, something that is subjective and valued differently from gamer to gamer.

I have no problem if you want to call PS4 version unacceptable. But if you think stating there is a huge perfomance gap is hyperbole that is on you as well.