By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Witcher 3 on Switch vs PS4 - The Complete Tech Breakdown DIgital Foundry Videos

Tagged games:

Is it a good port

Yes 32 58.18%

No 9 16.36%

It's an OK 14 25.45%

Total:55

Arlo had a pretty positive pre-review.

Around the Network
SKMBlake said:
HollyGamer said:

Assumptions ??? Which assumption that i said, because all of my statement are based on their videos. Or you perhaps did not watch the videos carefully. 

I did watch the video carefully, and nothing in it contains even a bit of what you said

Summary

1.Overall, Saber and CDPR hit an impressive bar of quality here. Clearly, performance can vary, but on balance it holds 30ps more often than I expected. The Witcher 3 Complete Edition pruned back everything it can to be playable, while still somehow retaining a lot of its best visual features. Graphical points like reflections, light shafts, water physics, and even a high NPC count are incredible to see on a handheld.

2.When it Docked, 720p is the highest we've seen the game render at while docked, dropping to 960x540 in our tests at lowest, seen while panning past the city in Toussaint.

3.Portable mode impresion, Handheld play works the same way as docked - a dynamic pixel count that adjusts based on load. Here Switch uses 960x540 as the top number, but drops steeply where it needs to. Pick a busy street in Novigrad for example, and the lowest reading comes in at just 810x456

4.NPCs are drawn at half frame rate at distance their draw distance is compromised on Switch, but the rendering range on NPCs is generous enough to cram everyone in. The only snag is that the frame-rate on characters is halved towards the distance.

5.Pop in issues beyond the inevitable blurriness, there are further downsides. The first is pop-in; often it's well-handled, but Switch has limits in how quickly it can draw everything in. The big trouble spot is cut-scenes; fast camera cuts overwhelm the system, and the way geometry flickers in and out can be pretty glaring. Detail-rich areas such as Novigrad can also push the streaming systems hard, resulting in pop-in that varies on repeat tests.

6.Textures, filtering and sound quality also take a hit, The Witcher 3's drive for compression also has an impact beyond FMV quality. Textures and sound also take a hit. Texture assets and filtering are of a notably lower quality, where a form of trilinear filtering is used which adds to the generally blurry look

7.Foliage density compared to PS4, there are few surprises in terms of console comparisons. Beyond the resolution drop, shadows, textures, and LODs are altered. Panning around the outskirts of Novigrad, foliage density is pruned back significantly. It's all reined in, creating a generally less filled out world - at a distance anyway - on Switch. It's amazing what's achieved on a smaller, less powerful system, but the trade-off to make it happen can't be overlooked.

8.Docked performance, and while there are some notable dips, the bulk of the time in areas like Velen - at least outside towns - delivers a mostly solid 30fps. Docked play is solid, but dense areas like Novigrad will see performance drop to something closer to 20fps.

9.Portable performance, portable play is similar, but not quite as robust overall. Once again, we're looking at 30fps, but when taxed in stress points it'll go into the 20s

10.It's a decent port, but overall it's playable if you can play the games deep below 25 fps and  the cut-backs are most certainly there and very glaring.

All of this are based on the video except from number 10 which is my opinion , or should i used a timestamp??? 

Baddman said:
lol this has to be one of the most confusing discussions I have seen

It's fucking embarrassing tbh

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Chrkeller said:
Why would DS resolution be fine for the Switch? The DS is old and technology has moved forward. That is like saying black and white is fine for the Switch, because Gameboy. I don't even understand the logic being used.

3ds resolution, not ds. And it's games look fine on 3ds small screen

Last edited by HoangNhatAnh - on 19 October 2019

DonFerrari said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

Since when i said that? I said everyone was fine with it because just a small fraction of the big userbase did complain about it and nothing guarantee that they didn't get the game even with their loud talk lol

If ds resolution is fine for casual, then so is the Switch lol

LOL hope you can tell that to Switch Lite and the japan owners lmao

DS resolution was fine for basically all users, over 10 years ago, Atari as well 30 years ago. What does that have to do with making a 240p15fps port on Switch a success?

Great, so from your answer I understand you know there are people that preach that under 60fps is unacceptable, but they would praise this port, ok, thanks.

Tell what to Japanese owners? They love portables, do you find anything strange on they liking the Lite? Do you think they would buy Witcher 3 240p15fps?

3ds resolution, not ds. And it's games look fine on 3ds small screen

They are elitist hardcore gamers who only care about resolution/fps/high end graphic, not the casual audience lol

Just like when they buy games on old 3ds? Yup

Around the Network
Ganoncrotch said:
Baddman said:

TBF for Sony fans, they almost only care about high end graphic/fps/resolution if it is higher than their competitor

❌ BANNED: Flaming (multiple instances)  ~ CGI

Last edited by CGI-Quality - on 19 October 2019

Ganoncrotch said:
Baddman said:

But aren't you part of the discussion together with Chazore, HoangNhatAnh and DonFerrari?

Replicant said:
Ganoncrotch said:

But aren't you part of the discussion together with Chazore, HoangNhatAnh and DonFerrari?

I dont think he was in a discussion with HoangNhatAnh which is smart of him. Any discussion with HoangNhatAnh is just embarrassing and a waste of time. The kid simply cant admit hes wrong in any circumstance

❌ BANNED: Flaming (multiple instances)  ~ CGI

Last edited by CGI-Quality - on 19 October 2019

Pinkie_pie said:
Replicant said:

I dont think he was in a discussion with HoangNhatAnh which is smart of him. Any discussion with HoangNhatAnh is just embarrassing and a waste of time. The kid simply cant admit hes wrong in any circumstance

Like when you claimed that i said "impossible"? Find out that word in my post about this game then. If not, will you admit that you was wrong about it? LOL

Pinkie_pie said:
Replicant said:

I do not think flaming at anyone in this thread will help the discussion.

Ontopic: There's ofcourse a big difference between playing it on a big screen or portable,when playing it portable the graphical negatives compared to the versions of the other consoles are less noticeable.