By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Witcher 3 on Switch vs PS4 - The Complete Tech Breakdown DIgital Foundry Videos

Tagged games:

Is it a good port

Yes 32 58.18%

No 9 16.36%

It's an OK 14 25.45%

Total:55
Pinkie_pie said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

Yup, if they push graphic even more and even reduce the resolution to... let say 240p, even 190p with 10-15fps, Switch ver in handheld mode with small screen will look very close to ps4 ver

Yeah, just like when you was piss off at ps4 pro for being too weak to even run Witcher 3 at 60fps like this time? You definitely did show how mad you are when witcher 3 couldn't run at 60fps on ps4/ps4 pro like you just showed this time with Switch, right?

Like when he made up about the word "impossible" while i didn't even write it? Did he even admit that he was wrong about it? Just like the last time, he also said this and i laughed at him like crazy for that made up thing. If mature is like him then no thank, i'd rather be a child, way way way better and superior

This post right here. Are you sure you're not a child? You saying the game would run 240p/15fps. That is the definition of impossible because that would be unplayable

You forgot DS game was even 190p, Switch low resolution is nothing compared to it. Also ARK: Survival Evolved, WWE2k18 or Saints Row: The Third on Switch, did you forget those games even existed? "Are you sure you're not a child?" just like when you made up about the word "impossible" and didn't admit it? OK, heh

Around the Network

Oops, double post, sorry

Ganoncrotch said:

Also think about it, Skyrim launched on consoles which had around 512MB of total system memory, so the Switch is going to be able to play those games above and beyond what was on the original versions that people go to see simply from a Spec point of view, the Witcher3 was absolutely not designed with something like the Switch in mind, especially not that 2015 Tegra X1 underclocked as it is inside the Switches little shell.

Well, it's not like last gen versions of Skyrim were out of this world spectacular. They both ran not so well, with PS3 suffering the most. The Switch version itself is half of what SSE version is, which is a bit of a letdown in that regard, and that it still contains the same bugs as vanilla (while even SSE on PC got an unofficial patch), so I don't really consider it too much of above and beyond, and more a little further, a tiny if you will, than last gen versions, of a game from nearly 10 years ago. 

Yeah, W3 wasn't designed for Switch and this shows, but neither was a game from nearly 10 years ago, and it not being able to handle a 2016 Special edition slight revamp shows as well.

If you design something ultra specifically just for the Switch, you'll find people gawking wide eyed, but refusing to acknowledge that it's only playing to what the device could handle, also not noticing what was cut out and what the other systems out there are handling. This is what I see from the Ninty side of things when the majority of it's base go "Don't care about looks", but at the same time praise art styles, which contradicts and shows hypocrisy.

Like I just want to make it clear, that Ninty aren't perfect, neither is their userbase in terms of judging something. If they want to suffer multiple cutbacks, that's fine, but portability isn't a textbook trump all card against everything, nor should it ever be. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

HoangNhatAnh said:
Pinkie_pie said:

This post right here. Are you sure you're not a child? You saying the game would run 240p/15fps. That is the definition of impossible because that would be unplayable

You forgot DS game was even 190p, Switch low resolution is nothing compared to it. Also ARK: Survival Evolved, WWE2k18 or Saints Row: The Third on Switch, did you forget those games even existed? "Are you sure you're not a child?" just like when you made up about the word "impossible" and didn't admit it? OK, heh

We are talking witcher 3 here. Theres no way they would port it to the switch if the game was running at 240p/15fps because no one would want to play that. You saying it running 240p/15fps is the same thing as saying its impossible. You are a kid who simply wont admit you were wrong 

Pinkie_pie said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

We are talking witcher 3 here. Theres no way they would port it to the switch if the game was running at 240p/15fps because no one would want to play that. You saying it running 240p/15fps is the same thing as saying its impossible. You are a kid who simply wont admit you were wrong 

As long as it have very beautiful graphic, the casual audience will still grab it like crazy. And admit? Like when you ignored on purpose what i said about the word "impossible" for many times? Yeah sure, heh

Around the Network
Chazore said:
Ganoncrotch said:

Also think about it, Skyrim launched on consoles which had around 512MB of total system memory, so the Switch is going to be able to play those games above and beyond what was on the original versions that people go to see simply from a Spec point of view, the Witcher3 was absolutely not designed with something like the Switch in mind, especially not that 2015 Tegra X1 underclocked as it is inside the Switches little shell.

Well, it's not like last gen versions of Skyrim were out of this world spectacular. They both ran not so well, with PS3 suffering the most. The Switch version itself is half of what SSE version is, which is a bit of a letdown in that regard, and that it still contains the same bugs as vanilla (while even SSE on PC got an unofficial patch), so I don't really consider it too much of above and beyond, and more a little further, a tiny if you will, than last gen versions, of a game from nearly 10 years ago. 

Yeah, W3 wasn't designed for Switch and this shows, but neither was a game from nearly 10 years ago, and it not being able to handle a 2016 Special edition slight revamp shows as well.

If you design something ultra specifically just for the Switch, you'll find people gawking wide eyed, but refusing to acknowledge that it's only playing to what the device could handle, also not noticing what was cut out and what the other systems out there are handling. This is what I see from the Ninty side of things when the majority of it's base go "Don't care about looks", but at the same time praise art styles, which contradicts and shows hypocrisy.

Like I just want to make it clear, that Ninty aren't perfect, neither is their userbase in terms of judging something. If they want to suffer multiple cutbacks, that's fine, but portability isn't a textbook trump all card against everything, nor should it ever be. 

It's all a balance of what matters most or more so what matters to the gamer, like I said I have the PS4 GOTY version of this game, I've had it on my system for years, never got to play it myself, according to my Sig it hasn't been played since "

July 4, 2016"
So yeah, I want to get to play it and for me a version tied to one spot doesn't work, I've got 2 Switches now and having 2 docks and 2 main units is amazing for me,  I can't talk for everyone in this thread or how anyone else gets a chance to sit at a TV for enough hours to enjoy this type of game, but I personally do not so the Switch features trump power every time in that when I'm leaving here... in 13 hours time to go traveling for 7 hours non stop I'm going to be able to nab my Switches and go out the door.
Feeling like I've said this a lot of times now but yeah... my PS4/ 2 gaming PC's will be left here all weekend unplayed just because their form factor doesn't fit in my backpack or run from a power bank if the train doesn't have USB chargers tomorrow.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Ganoncrotch said:

It's all a balance of what matters most or more so what matters to the gamer, like I said I have the PS4 GOTY version of this game, I've had it on my system for years, never got to play it myself, according to my Sig it hasn't been played since "

July 4, 2016"
So yeah, I want to get to play it and for me a version tied to one spot doesn't work, I've got 2 Switches now and having 2 docks and 2 main units is amazing for me,  I can't talk for everyone in this thread or how anyone else gets a chance to sit at a TV for enough hours to enjoy this type of game, but I personally do not so the Switch features trump power every time in that when I'm leaving here... in 13 hours time to go traveling for 7 hours non stop I'm going to be able to nab my Switches and go out the door.
Feeling like I've said this a lot of times now but yeah... my PS4/ 2 gaming PC's will be left here all weekend unplayed just because their form factor doesn't fit in my backpack or run from a power bank if the train doesn't have USB chargers tomorrow.

Yeah, finding said balance is the subjective part, not the objective. Some here confuse the subjective and try to make it appear objective. That's what I'm trying to get at here. 

It sounds like your form factor is travel more often, do you?. I'd like to know how one investment is trumping the other two and why you hold onto the other two, despite their usage being trumped by the former. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

Chazore said:
Ganoncrotch said:

July 4, 2016"

Yeah, finding said balance is the subjective part, not the objective. Some here confuse the subjective and try to make it appear objective. That's what I'm trying to get at here. 

It sounds like your form factor is travel more often, do you?. I'd like to know how one investment is trumping the other two and why you hold onto the other two, despite their usage being trumped by the former. 

If by "hold onto" you mean why I built the 2 PC's in the last 2 years or why I still own a PS4 I have never sold a console and I had an old PC and a lot of money so just got the 2 Ryzen builds instead of using a very out of date Core2Quad, Have a 1700/980ti and a 2600/780ti in my office, they're not PCMR machines but they're very capable of playing whatever I throw at them @ 1080p/ultra.

Just to clarify, I wouldn't sell systems because I have money? I guess is the answer you asking me for? Confused slightly.

Last edited by Ganoncrotch - on 17 October 2019

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Ganoncrotch said:

If by "hold onto" you mean why I built the 2 PC's in the last 2 years or why I still own a PS4 I have never sold a console and I had an old PC and a lot of money so just got the 2 Ryzen builds instead of using a very out of date Core2Quad, Have a 1700/980ti and a 2600/780ti in my office, they're not PCMR machines but they're very capable of playing whatever I throw at them @ 1080p/ultra.

Just to clarify, I wouldn't sell systems because I have money? I guess is the answer you asking me for? Confused slightly.

I meant to ask in why you've invested in the other two, when one being mobile seemingly (always in this regard) trumps both of them. If you're 9/10 going to always choose one device's mobile factor over the others, it makes me question why you still hold onto the other two devices, since they cannot trump the other device's one redeeming factor. 

Chazore said:
Ganoncrotch said:

I meant to ask in why you've invested in the other two, when one being mobile seemingly (always in this regard) trumps both of them. If you're 9/10 going to always choose one device's mobile factor over the others, it makes me question why you still hold onto the other two devices, since they cannot trump the other device's one redeeming factor. 

Again from my Sig you can see the dates of the last games played on the PSN platform (have to change the xbox part in the url to psn) but aye looks like

Just played the Secret of Mana game this year and platinum-ed that, which... is a year where I have psn+ , great use of that subscription! but again I have those systems because... I have those systems (?) I have my PC's because I do a ton of work on the PC when I'm home, almost all of my entertainment in terms of video is either stored on the PCs or my NAS which is hooked to my 1080p projector in the sitting room which can do picture in picture so as to cut it for PC on one side playing a video and playing docked Switch on the other side.

My setup has a literal ton of redundant hardware involved in it, If I was to count them up, there are.... 6 different sound systems set up here lol, Because I'm a lazy fuck but just love tech I setup my projector with overlapped set of speakers and sub-woofers so as to not require changing of any audio between Switch/PS4/PC when they're in use, each setup can't really be used beyond 25-30% without creating neighbour killing levels of sound, but still... I have them because, I can and it's fun.

I dunno really when it comes to keeping stuff which I use maybe 1 day in 365 like the PS4 for Mana, I just know that if I was to not have it I would probably think about wanting it back in the fold, that's why I knew things like the WiiU and X1 were failures to me when I had chances to buy them for buttons and just didn't bother as I couldn't justify owning those when I've got parts of my setup which get used once in a 12 month period.

Last edited by Ganoncrotch - on 17 October 2019