By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Witcher 3 on Switch vs PS4 - The Complete Tech Breakdown DIgital Foundry Videos

Tagged games:

Is it a good port

Yes 32 58.18%

No 9 16.36%

It's an OK 14 25.45%

Total:55

Gamespot gave it a 9.

Around the Network
Ganoncrotch said:
Chazore said:

Yeah, that's what gets me each time I see this sort of threat. Like I get that it's ported and all, but it's not as big of a technical marvel, to completely downgrade a game, to fit on a semi mobile device, which in turn has to rely on it's docked mode to output a slightly better image. Like, why are these same people not showing more marvel towards games pushing limits to higher end fidelity and hw?.

Like, I get that DOOM has been ported to an insane amount of devices over the past few decades, but I'm way, way more interested in future tech, better performance, better power, more graphical fidelity, than what we can downgrade to hell and slap on a watch or phone. I'll marvel at those devices, when the day comes that they can do exactly the same thing a higher end device can do, without having to massively cut back on practically everything. 

At no point ever will you have a portable low spec machine capable of the same graphical fidelity as a high end device, by definition those things are on the wrong side of a scale to have what you're asking here, it would be like looking at the Special Olympics and saying... well.. that's all well and good, but I want to see them doing as well as Usain Bolt, then I'll be impressed.

As I mentioned in another thread as well, without even getting into the category of PC's, but Switch is currently the cheapest machine which you can play Witcher 3 on, while it is newer than the ps4 and X1 you can get a Switch now for less than either of those systems RRP, and bring it for a 5 hour shit and still be enjoying Witcher 3. So the reduction in power is even reflected in the price point regardless of the addition of Screen/batteries/portability

Sorry but X1 is almost always cheaper then 299, and even the 199 for Lite.

Next are we going to say smartphone games should receive a pat back because if you buy the cell on a plan you don't pay anything for the cell and you may even have the game for free?

HoangNhatAnh said:
DonFerrari said:

Performance isn't only frame rate. 

So you should be pissed with 20-25fps of Witcher 3.

OK, nice. So I should be pissed with 20-25fps on base ps4/xbox 1 as well?  

If you care about games being 60fps certainly. Have replied this already.

HoangNhatAnh said:
Pinkie_pie said:

Witcher 3 on switch is amazing isnt it? Ooh werent you one of those who said Witcher 3 would be impossible on switch? 

Again, like the previous time, since when i said impossible? Find that word in my old posts, please. Of course if you can :))

Pinkie_pie said:

He said witcher 3 would be impossible on switch without major downgrade but now he thinks its identical to ps4 and xbox one just with lower resolution 

Don't put those words on my mouth, or rather, you took it from your delusion dream i see. I said if it have the same graphic settings as ps4/xbox 1, the fps would take a big hit. And clearly here that the graphic and resolution settings were downgrades quite a lot to keep the fps high enough to be the same as ps4/xbox 1 ver (personally, i don't give a crap about high resolution or very beautiful graphic). But yeah, nice try again, just like the last time you tried to use this to mock me but failed hard, heh :))

Having the same graphic would be impossible anyway.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Ganoncrotch said:

At no point ever will you have a portable low spec machine capable of the same graphical fidelity as a high end device, by definition those things are on the wrong side of a scale to have what you're asking here, it would be like looking at the Special Olympics and saying... well.. that's all well and good, but I want to see them doing as well as Usain Bolt, then I'll be impressed.

As I mentioned in another thread as well, without even getting into the category of PC's, but Switch is currently the cheapest machine which you can play Witcher 3 on, while it is newer than the ps4 and X1 you can get a Switch now for less than either of those systems RRP, and bring it for a 5 hour shit and still be enjoying Witcher 3. So the reduction in power is even reflected in the price point regardless of the addition of Screen/batteries/portability

Next are we going to say smartphone games should receive a pat back because if you buy the cell on a plan you don't pay anything for the cell and you may even have the game for free?

HoangNhatAnh said:

OK, nice. So I should be pissed with 20-25fps on base ps4/xbox 1 as well?  

HoangNhatAnh said:

Again, like the previous time, since when i said impossible? Find that word in my old posts, please. Of course if you can :))

Don't put those words on my mouth, or rather, you took it from your delusion dream i see. I said if it have the same graphic settings as ps4/xbox 1, the fps would take a big hit. And clearly here that the graphic and resolution settings were downgrades quite a lot to keep the fps high enough to be the same as ps4/xbox 1 ver (personally, i don't give a crap about high resolution or very beautiful graphic). But yeah, nice try again, just like the last time you tried to use this to mock me but failed hard, heh :))

Nowadays, 3rd party almost always put graphic/resolution settings over fps so you don't know yet. With small screen in handheld mode, it could still look almost like ps4/xbox 1 ver if they choose graphic over fps

Pinkie_pie said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9015867 You said it would be 240/15 fps which means almost unplayable. Just admit you were wrong. 

Yeah, it will be like that with the same graphic settings as ps4/xbox 1 ver. Or it needed to be downgrade in some aspects like graphic/resolution to keep the same as ps4/xbox 1 ver . I did mention this to you when you asked me the last time, i must admit i was wrong about your ability to memorize :))

HoangNhatAnh said:
Pinkie_pie said:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9015867 You said it would be 240/15 fps which means almost unplayable. Just admit you were wrong. 

Yeah, it will be like that with the same graphic settings as ps4/xbox 1 ver. Or it needed to be downgrade in some aspects like graphic/resolution to keep the same as ps4/xbox 1 ver . I did mention this to you when you asked me the last time, i must admit i was wrong about your ability to memorize :))

Witcher 3 on switch having the same graphics would be impossible or are you just delusional? Witcher 3 on switch isnt 240p/15fps and everyone knows you were wrong. 

Around the Network
HoangNhatAnh said:
DonFerrari said:

Nowadays, 3rd party almost always put graphic/resolution settings over fps so you don't know yet. With small screen in handheld mode, it could still look almost like ps4/xbox 1 ver if they choose graphic over fps

With magic dust perhaps

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Pinkie_pie said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

Witcher 3 on switch having the same graphics would be impossible or are you just delusional? Witcher 3 on switch isnt 240p/15fps and everyone knows you were wrong. 

Some people aren't mature enough to admit an error.  

Pinkie_pie said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

Yup, if they push graphic even more and even reduce the resolution to... let say 240p, even 190p with 10-15fps, Switch ver in handheld mode with small screen will look very close to ps4 ver

DonFerrari said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

With magic dust perhaps

Yeah, just like when you was piss off at ps4 pro for being too weak to even run Witcher 3 at 60fps like this time? You definitely did show how mad you are when witcher 3 couldn't run at 60fps on ps4/ps4 pro like you just showed this time with Switch, right?

Chrkeller said:
Pinkie_pie said:

Some people aren't mature enough to admit an error.  

Like when he made up about the word "impossible" while i didn't even write it? Did he even admit that he was wrong about it? Just like the last time, he also said this and i laughed at him like crazy for that made up thing. If mature is like him then no thank, i'd rather be a child, way way way better and superior

Last edited by HoangNhatAnh - on 16 October 2019

Chazore said:
Ganoncrotch said:

Aye I know you're on the PCMR (just mean, high end PC btw with this, not anything negative) side of things and it's clear that once you enjoy that side of gaming as your main way to play then the switch appeal goes down, over the next 4 days I'm going to be traveling around 1,300 miles... so for me having the Switch handy on Trains, planes and buses is something which my 2 Ryzen PC's just can't join me on, sure I can enjoy Forza Horizon 4 on ultra/120 when I return but while I travel my PC sits here missing me.... or at least I sit on a plane missing it, I hope it misses me too lol, bastard eats my cash!

I mean, I still play on my Switch, but it's limited to a few Ninty first party titles and a few third parties, with indies sprinkled in. 

Only one I don't mind all that much is Skyrim on the device, because let's be honest, the og game in it's vanilla state wasn't that much of a looker back then and over time it aged rather badly (which is why I mod it to hell on PC to make it more suitable to today's looks), and playing it on Switch, where it hasn't taken all that much of a massive hit, not like say, Witcher 3 and DOOM have.

I'm also perfectly fine with them getting some old ancient games, that haven't played nicely on past and current systems before, onto their own machine. I consider those feats, because of what we tried putting those on before, just not current gen games, the "lookers" if you will, that were noticeably pared back just to be able to run on the device. 

My Switch would be handier to me if it had a far longer battery life, if not up to the level of my phone, which I use on a daily basis (youtube, browsing outside the house, emails, messages etc). I imagine then I'd be using it more often, if it wasn't for the limited charge it has, and I'm not one for absolving that flaw, by buying an external battery bank (especially when you have to be careful on which one to use, which I'd again chalk up to Ninty's fault, not global manufacturers), because it was down to Ninty to solve that issue. 

Also think about it, Skyrim launched on consoles which had around 512MB of total system memory, so the Switch is going to be able to play those games above and beyond what was on the original versions that people go to see simply from a Spec point of view, the Witcher3 was absolutely not designed with something like the Switch in mind, especially not that 2015 Tegra X1 underclocked as it is inside the Switches little shell.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

HollyGamer said:
SKMBlake said:

The point is, you make assumptions based on what DF does not say.  They do say shings and you understand the quite opposite

Assumptions ??? Which assumption that i said, because all of my statement are based on their videos. Or you perhaps did not watch the videos carefully. 

I did watch the video carefully, and nothing in it contains even a bit of what you said