By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS5 DualShock 5 will still have LED bar and touchpad

Tagged games:

What do you think

I am OK 11 26.83%

I love it 11 26.83%

I don't like it 12 29.27%

I don't care 7 17.07%

Total:41

Both are very irrelevant for me.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
S.Peelman said:
Hynad said:

Slow learner, eh?

But yes, it is useful.

Heh. I have to admit that secretly I already knew what it is for, and the initial post was mildly troll-ey.

The thing is though, the lightbar just seems like a totally unnecessary thing; apparently tracking movement wasn’t possible in any other way than an intrusive light emitter that drains my battery and reflects on my tv. Plus, if you never use PSVR, like me, it becomes even more puzzling and counter-intuitive; sometimes it’s blue, sometimes it’s yellow and sometimes it’s red. “Does red mean my battery is low? Or does it mirror a theme in a game or my UI? No surely it has to do with which player I am.” Anyway the touchpad is similar. At least it’s not in the way like the Vita’s, but I’d rather just have a start and select button. It all just feels like it’s “innovating to be innovating”. And that’s gimmicky.

Not that Sony is the only offender, I don’t see the point of the Switch’s ‘HD rumble’ either. But I digress, I’ve said enough times what I think about the Dual Shock controller as a whole, you guys don’t need to be annoyed with that here. Some days, I’m just, ‘in a mood’.

The colors on the lightbar were also to have 2 functions, if doing MP to show which controller is each (P1, P2, etc) and if playing SP to immerse and trick your emotions.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I hate both. The touch pad is cumbersome and the light bar is distracting. When I am playing in an all dark room, I don't need a bunch of blinking lights in my lap.  I put a piece of black tap over the light bar. Having said that, given the lack of changes, I wonder if the ps4 controller will work on the ps5, that would save me from having to buy a second controller. I like that idea.

Also, at the very least, give users the ability to turnoff the stupid light bar.  

I wish they used the speaker more. I loved it when they used it for phone calls in a game I recently played, in Playroom for the bots and some other games I've played.

Hope they use it in. TLOU2 for Ellies / Joel's heartbeat and make better use of this in future games.

Xxain said:
Mark Cerny is designing what sounds like a very boring upgrade. No unique features as of now; just tech.

I'm pretty sure the development of the controller is handled by a different team than the console itself.

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
Screw the touchpad if it's only for BC, people can use a DS4 for that.
Give it some good reason to be there.

The touchpad has a great reason to exist but sony really need to set the stage. The amount of RPGs I play where entering the menu to swapout a skill can easily be attached to a touchpad corner or swipe is immensely frustrating. Sony doesn't even bother with it in their own games.

And don't get me started about the lack of gyro aiming when literally every single one of their games can benefit from it, from God of War, Uncharted, The Last Guardian etc. Any game that has an aiming feature should have an option for Gyro aiming for precision moments.

I barely notice the light bar and when I have played in the dark, some games made really good use of it making the experience more immersive. GTAV had then flash blue and red when the police would be after you. Some games used it to display your health where the colour changes as you lose health and in until dawn it acted as a flash light.

Playstation put up a cryptic pic of a controller on IG. Looks different than a DS4, possibly a glimpse of DS5??

PortisheadBiscuit said:
Playstation put up a cryptic pic of a controller on IG. Looks different than a DS4, possibly a glimpse of DS5??

No. It's the Vantage 2 from Scuf Gaming.

Hiku said:

As for the light bar, I've never used it, but it makes sense for PSVR.
I just really wish they let us turn it OFF this time.
It just drained the battery for no reason.

Worst of all the default brightness setting is like super bright!  It was so annoying to have to turn down the brightness of the light bar every time.