By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - September NPD 2019 thread

Replicant said:
Deeds said:

It's because certain companies try to use sales data as "marketing". It's NOT, and I mean NOT a coincidence that a little before the Switch outsold the PS4 lifetime in Japan, Media Create was silenced. I guess that Famitsu has enough power to tell a certain company to fuck off. As for trying to silence sales trackers, its all futile. The PS4 and the PS5 will be obliterated by the Switch either way.

I struggle to see the point in silencing Media Create when Famitsu exists.

And why would Sony be fine with NPD last gen when PS3 got its ass kicked by 360 but silence it now when PS4 beats XB1?

The Nintendo Switch has been the best-selling platform in the US for 10 straight months. However, to me it sounds like a conspiracy theory that Sony is behind NPD and Media Create not releasing figures.  

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network
trunkswd said:
Replicant said:

And why would Sony be fine with NPD last gen when PS3 got its ass kicked by 360 but silence it now when PS4 beats XB1?

The Nintendo Switch has been the best-selling platform in the US for 10 straight months. However, to me it sounds like a conspiracy theory that Sony is behind NPD and Media Create not releasing figures.  

But Wii and 360 both outsold PS3 for I don't know how many straight months and we got NPD numbers anyway. If I recall correctly NPD's ninjas started hunting down leakers long before Switch launched during a time where PS4 was the best selling console in the US. I struggle to see what Sony would gain from hiding those numbers.

Replicant said:
trunkswd said:

But Wii and 360 both outsold PS3 for I don't know how many straight months and we got NPD numbers anyway. If I recall correctly NPD's ninjas started hunting down leakers long before Switch launched during a time where PS4 was the best selling console in the US. I struggle to see what Sony would gain from hiding those numbers.

Sony wouldn't gain anything from hiding the numbers. At least nothing that I can think of. Only hardcore gamers pay close attention to the latest gaming sales. Most only take a look at them from time to time. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Replicant said:
Deeds said:

It's because certain companies try to use sales data as "marketing". It's NOT, and I mean NOT a coincidence that a little before the Switch outsold the PS4 lifetime in Japan, Media Create was silenced. I guess that Famitsu has enough power to tell a certain company to fuck off. As for trying to silence sales trackers, its all futile. The PS4 and the PS5 will be obliterated by the Switch either way.

Not that I agree with the silencing thing, as I don't know enough about it to have an opinion, but I suspect Sony views Nintendo, as another Japanese company, as their true rival. They are probably less offended by Xbox beating them than Nintendo. Again, not that I agree with this theory, but it could be the reason they are doing this? The Switch beating PS4 is probably more insulting than 360 beating ps3?

Deeds said:
Dulfite said:

Wait, are you suggesting Sony doesn't want data to be revealed showing how they are selling compared to Nintendo? And that Ps5 will sell less than Switch 1?

Just wanting clarification, not implying anything.

Yes and yes. First of all, the discussion about Sony "shutting down" NPD and Media create are not solely my idea. This has been discussed on Resetera and even Neogaf way back in the day. Second of all, even during the dark days of Wii U, Nintendo STILL showed sales data, unlike Microsoft who has gone radio silent on Xbox One hardware, and Sony going silent on the Vita sales. And I find it funny because it wont mean much in the end. Shutting up Media create did NOT save the PS4 in Japan. Being silent on Vita did not stop it from BOMBING. It also shows how pathetic and immature the leadership at Sony and Microsoft are.

Third of all I think the Switch is going to outsell the PS4 and the PS5 will sell LESS than the PS4. That's my prediction.

People often come up with baseless conspiracy theories.
A few things about these though.

NPD sell their service, and never wanted specific figures to be available for the public for free. Which is why they've been going after, and shutting down leakers for a long time now. We've seen a lot of names come and go over the years.
The idea that Sony was ok with NPD when PS3 was in last place for 99% of the generation, but aren't ok with it when PS4 is miles ahead of the nearest competition, and still will be by the time PS5 comes out, doesn't quite make sense.

As for Media Create, they too sell their data to various companies. They had a company policy review earlier this year where they would decide if they were to continue providing their data for free to the public. They decided not to, and also plan to expand it to China and Southeast Asia.
I can't speak for either company's finances, but Media Create seems to rely on their sales data to make a living, while Famitsu is a bigger company with more avenues of income.

So when a company that relies on a paid service stops providing it for free, it's not that strange.
What would be strange is if Sony spent money to 'silence' Media Create while not doing anything about Famitsu. Might as well flush that money down the toilet.

I think these conspiracy theories make no sense.

Last edited by Hiku - on 19 October 2019

Around the Network
trunkswd said:
Replicant said:

Sony wouldn't gain anything from hiding the numbers. At least nothing that I can think of. Only hardcore gamers pay close attention to the latest gaming sales. Most only take a look at them from time to time. 

True. But I guess "mainstream" sites report on the numbers once a while and I can see why companies would like to control those news.

It'd have made more sense for Sony to be doing it last gen imo but if it's them, they're a bunch of assholes. I hate this secrecy.

Replicant said:
trunkswd said:

True. But I guess "mainstream" sites report on the numbers once a while and I can see why companies would like to control those news.

It'd have made more sense for Sony to be doing it last gen imo but if it's them, they're a bunch of assholes. I hate this secrecy.

Sony has been reporting on PS4 sales since it launched. Than again the PS4 was a success right out of the gate. Nintendo is the one company that has reported on sales no matter how good or how bad they are. 

Dulfite said:
Replicant said:

Not that I agree with the silencing thing, as I don't know enough about it to have an opinion, but I suspect Sony views Nintendo, as another Japanese company, as their true rival. They are probably less offended by Xbox beating them than Nintendo. Again, not that I agree with this theory, but it could be the reason they are doing this? The Switch beating PS4 is probably more insulting than 360 beating ps3?

Do I remember it wrong or did NPD's ninjas started to hunt down leakers all the way back in 2015?

Maybe it's me having a bad memory. No matter what, I hope that the reason is uncovered and that we get the numbers back.

Dulfite said:
Replicant said:

The Wii was also beating PS3.

People quickly forgot that NPD started hiding data late into the Wii/PS3/360 era. During the PS2/GCN/Xbox era all the data was wide open. Coincidence? And again, sales data can be used for marketing purposes. For example, "Product X is the best selling thing, get it while its hot!!!!". You cant do that when your product is selling like shit, but you can shut people up and create narratives that are deceptive, like "the Playsation Family of sales". Also notice that they CANT shut up companies that are too strong like Kadokawa Dwango (who owns Famitsu) or Amazon (with their bestseller list).