By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - About the awful quality of the Joycons

Have you had any issue with you joycons?

Yes 29 67.44%

No 13 30.23%

See results 1 2.33%

Total:43
Cerebralbore101 said:

There ya go. Works like a charm!

Already tried that but thanks.

Shiken said:
Day one Switch owner, no drift after heavy use for almost 3 years.

I envy you so much.

Rafie said:
Day one Switch owner and I have had terrible drift problems with my left joy cons. Bought my children a Switch this past Christmas...they have terrible drift with their left joy cons. Nintendo is currently taking care of it.

That sucks, I really hope Nintendo adresses this after almost 3 years since launch.

I know... my English sucks.

Around the Network

My left Joy-Con was drifting really bad. I sent it to Nintendo and got a new one from them for free thanks to the lawsuit going on in the US (where I live at).

I have played about 300 hours in mine. No issues. I keep mine on a case when not in use. I also mostly play undocked. I am wary of getting the problem since it seems most people will at some point.

It seems the Lite is having issues too. I don't think Nintendo is willing to admit that there is a defect on the Joy Cons out right. So we are out of luck.

I bought a launch Switch, and the drift was awful. I replaced the Joy Cons, and the drift was awful. Very disappointed at that time, still am. So I went on Amazon and bought analogs for $10, replaced them myself, now everything works perfectly. I tried all the other fixes, replacement was the only thing that worked. On a side note, last year I bought the kids their own Switch, zero issues. So, who knows how wide spread this issue is.

I've not had any problems with mine. But, I agree that Ninty should do a better job of acknowledging that they've made a poor quality product. It feels like they're not even admitting to themselves that they've screwed up, otherwise they would have fixed the issue in new joycons.

I'd like to see them extend the joycon warranty, and make sure their local distributors do a good job of handling warranty claims. They should also re-engineer the joycons so that they are more durable, and/or lower the MSRP of new joycons to something more reasonable (maybe their cost, plus a normal markup for retailers). They could also start selling individual left and right joycons.

Around the Network

It's nothing new. The left stick on my WiiU gamepad drifts as well, It's the left stick again on the Switch. I contacted Nintendo support and they want me to send them in for repair with DHL. Shipping cost one way is CAD 50 from my place, plus they never mentioned whether the repair would be free, nvm. My solution, not buying anymore games for it.

I had never heard this referred to as "drift" until the recent debacle with the Joy cons. I'm assuming this means to have loose joysticks? Does the joystick being loose cause it to give false, "wobbly" input at it's neutral position? Does it cause it's ability to fully extend in any given direction to diminish? I'm curious about this because I have always felt that the Switch joy sticks were subpar. They are very small, with a small range of motion, so it never felt as satisfying to use as any other modern controller.

I bought my Switch on launch day, and since then have bought a second set of Joy Cons and a pro controller. None of my controllers have any issues so far.

I felt like Nintendo had a major issue during the Gamecube's lifespan, but I don't know if it ever became a big deal. By the end of the Gamecube gen, I think I had five controllers, and the first three of those controllers all had very loose joysticks (to the extent that many games were unplayable). The last two controllers did not suffer from that issue, and based on my observations, I concluded that Nintendo fixed the issue with later controller revisions. The joysticks became loose relatively quickly, too. Within months there would be noticeable wobble, and after a year or two they became unusable.

RaptorChrist said:
I had never heard this referred to as "drift" until the recent debacle with the Joy cons. I'm assuming this means to have loose joysticks? Does the joystick being loose cause it to give false, "wobbly" input at it's neutral position? Does it cause it's ability to fully extend in any given direction to diminish? I'm curious about this because I have always felt that the Switch joy sticks were subpar. They are very small, with a small range of motion, so it never felt as satisfying to use as any other modern controller.

I bought my Switch on launch day, and since then have bought a second set of Joy Cons and a pro controller. None of my controllers have any issues so far.

I felt like Nintendo had a major issue during the Gamecube's lifespan, but I don't know if it ever became a big deal. By the end of the Gamecube gen, I think I had five controllers, and the first three of those controllers all had very loose joysticks (to the extent that many games were unplayable). The last two controllers did not suffer from that issue, and based on my observations, I concluded that Nintendo fixed the issue with later controller revisions. The joysticks became loose relatively quickly, too. Within months there would be noticeable wobble, and after a year or two they became unusable.

Though I never had any issues with my GC controller, I barely played games on cube, save for RS, The Zelda's, Symphonia, RE4 and Sunshine. The controller did feel like it was cheaply made. The only time I have had issues with joy sticks has been during the N64 days...Mario Party one was the original Joy stick killer. Ruined 3 of my controllers.

RaptorChrist said:

To clarify, the drift has nothing to do with the physical sticks themselves.  Those still "feel" the same.  The difference is in how the console registers the movements of the sticks.  The best way to see it is in the joystick calibration screen.  The calibration screen shows where the system senses that the stick is pointing, via a cursor on a square.  So when you push the stick up, on a proper working joy-con, the cursor goes to the top of the square and when you let go of the stick, the cursor immediately goes back to the middle.  If you have a drifting joy-con, the cursor slowly moves back to the middle ("drifts") after letting go of the stick, or it never goes back to the middle at all.  So when you're playing a game, the character you're controlling on screen will move even when you're not touching the analog stick.

Switch: SW-3707-5131-3911
XBox: Kenjabish

Joy con is the only drift I have ever encountered. I've owned every major console released in the last 30 years.

Essentially the drift is so bad, games are unplayable. The analog is centered but my character walks left all by himself.  Major issue for me.  Very disappointed especially since Nintendo is known for reliability.