By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - About the awful quality of the Joycons

Have you had any issue with you joycons?

Yes 29 67.44%

No 13 30.23%

See results 1 2.33%

Total:43
RaptorChrist said:
I had never heard this referred to as "drift" until the recent debacle with the Joy cons. I'm assuming this means to have loose joysticks? Does the joystick being loose cause it to give false, "wobbly" input at it's neutral position? Does it cause it's ability to fully extend in any given direction to diminish? I'm curious about this because I have always felt that the Switch joy sticks were subpar. They are very small, with a small range of motion, so it never felt as satisfying to use as any other modern controller.

To clarify, the drift has nothing to do with the physical sticks themselves.  Those still "feel" the same.  The difference is in how the console registers the movements of the sticks.  The best way to see it is in the joystick calibration screen.  The calibration screen shows where the system senses that the stick is pointing, via a cursor on a square.  So when you push the stick up, on a proper working joy-con, the cursor goes to the top of the square and when you let go of the stick, the cursor immediately goes back to the middle.  If you have a drifting joy-con, the cursor slowly moves back to the middle ("drifts") after letting go of the stick, or it never goes back to the middle at all.  So when you're playing a game, the character you're controlling on screen will move even when you're not touching the analog stick.

SW-3707-5131-3911

Around the Network

Joy con is the only drift I have ever encountered. I've owned every major console released in the last 30 years.

Essentially the drift is so bad, games are unplayable. The analog is centered but my character walks left all by himself.  Major issue for me.  Very disappointed especially since Nintendo is known for reliability.

I have been fortunate to not have any issues with my Joy Cons since I got it back in May 2017. Even after a few dings, I am able to play the way I wanted.

Have 2 Nintendo switches, one from launch and another about 8 months ago. First one had drift with both joycons, second one started drifting on left joycon a few months after purchase. Nintendo fixed the 2 joycons on the out of warranty switch this summer for free(free shipping both ways too). Sent In the left joycon on the newer one a few weeks ago and it is on the way back right now from another free repair. This is in Canada by the way.

For those people who have run into this issue and have resorted to either trying to play games with the drifting or just not buying more games for the system to show Nintendo who is the boss (I mean... you have a 300e system, you should probably worry more about fixing it) but for those people, why not go on Amazon and buy the replacement parts for the joycons? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cemobile-Replacement-Controller-Screwdrivers-Thumbstick/dp/B07RZ6H32T/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_sims?ie=UTF8&th=1 that's for a pair of 2 sticks, they are there for a single one starting around a fiver along with the screendrivers you need to open it.

The parts are small and fiddly but if you know anyone who has some it support skills or knows how to be careful or follow a youtube video then you could fix the issue you're having by the end of the week for around a tenner (if both sticks are broken)

If anyone needs advice on this I would be happy to give it.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network

Yeah, I am beating a dead horse, but I echo Ganon's post above. Replacements are cheap and super easy. And a huge improvement. It is so worth the time/effort/cost.

Chrkeller said:
Yeah, I am beating a dead horse, but I echo Ganon's post above. Replacements are cheap and super easy. And a huge improvement. It is so worth the time/effort/cost.

Or even get one of these 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Official-Nintendo-Licensed-Version-Switch/dp/B07FSWM4Z2/ref=sr_1_1?crid=VRAMJOU2YGCZ&keywords=hori+joy+con&qid=1569949944&s=gateway&sprefix=hori+joy%2Caps%2C139&sr=8-1

and replace your right joycon altogether with a Hori version complete with proper D-pad (no wireless or motion control in this though, but beautiful dpad and very strong stick)

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

SvennoJ said:
It's nothing new. The left stick on my WiiU gamepad drifts as well, It's the left stick again on the Switch. I contacted Nintendo support and they want me to send them in for repair with DHL. Shipping cost one way is CAD 50 from my place, plus they never mentioned whether the repair would be free, nvm. My solution, not buying anymore games for it.

I wouldn't send it in for that price either. Might as well buy a new at that point, since there have been reports of people getting drift issues again a few months later after repair.

RaptorChrist said:
I had never heard this referred to as "drift" until the recent debacle with the Joy cons. I'm assuming this means to have loose joysticks?

From my understanding, no. It's not something that can be seen with the eye, or felt by moving it. The malfunction seems to be either on an electronic level, or something unnoticeable on the inside.

I've had 3 left joycons develop the drift issue. Worst quality product ever from Nintendo. When you take into account how expensive these things are it is just shameful. In the end I have gone with the Hori joycon for my switch and my son's. 100 times better quality. Unfortunately, they only work in handheld format as they have no wireless capability. For docked mode I use Pro controller and xbox 360 controller.

I've been holding off on the Switch because of this debacle. At the same time I don't wanna get a 2DS XL because the Switch Lite is only 25$ more expensive here.

Dammit Nintendo, get it together.