By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - TLoU part 2 will not have multiplayer

Azzanation said:
LordLichtenstein said:

.. and I'm willing to bet that The Last of Us - Part II will be a better game overall than Gears 5 - regardless of no multiplayer component. The Last of Us is a different kind of beast. Don't compare the two.

That depends what you want in a video game. Gamers who enjoy multiplayer games will think otherwise. Better than Gears 5? How does a game that is completely different in gameplay be better than a game thats offering different things? Thats like you saying TLOU2 is going to be better than Age of Empires.. odd thing to say. But if you want to go down that road well i can tell you something Gears 5 does already better than TLOU2, thats offer a multiplayer option.

Different beast? Are you saying its not a video game? What does that even mean?

I have no daubt TLOU2 will offer a great campaign like the first did, but i cannot help my disapointment in companies removing features from games. Remember the feed back Halo 5 copped when they removed split screen? TLOU2 is removing the entire feature completely. Why? Does Sony not think there are gamers who like multiplayer?

They are not removing anything, as the game is still not out yet. Love to see companies having the confidence to do what they think is best for their games, and to know that they don't have to rely on an inferior addition to the game just to feel that they have reached some kind of quota.

The internal studios under MS could learn a thing or two from this kind of development culture Maybe their newly purchased toy studios will manage to get there in like 2 more generations...

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network
Azzanation said:
LordLichtenstein said:

.. and I'm willing to bet that The Last of Us - Part II will be a better game overall than Gears 5 - regardless of no multiplayer component. The Last of Us is a different kind of beast. Don't compare the two.

That depends what you want in a video game. Gamers who enjoy multiplayer games will think otherwise. Better than Gears 5? How does a game that is completely different in gameplay be better than a game thats offering different things? Thats like you saying TLOU2 is going to be better than Age of Empires.. odd thing to say. But if you want to go down that road well i can tell you something Gears 5 does already better than TLOU2, thats offer a multiplayer option.

Different beast? Are you saying its not a video game? What does that even mean?

I have no daubt TLOU2 will offer a great campaign like the first did, but i cannot help my disapointment in companies removing features from games. Remember the feed back Halo 5 copped when they removed split screen? TLOU2 is removing the entire feature completely. Why? Does Sony not think there are gamers who like multiplayer?

They already said they're going to make it, just not as a half baked mode but rather as something that can stand on it's own. 

Guerrilla Games is also making a Multiplayer title. Clearly they don't want to make Multiplayer games with tacked on Campaigns or Single Player games with tacked on Multiplayer. All that does is make the overall product look bad. If a game is SP only people judge it based solely on that, but it has a Multiplayer that's not as good as the Single player or vice versa the entire game suffers for it. 

We've seen Rockstar do it with GTAV and RDR2, and CDPR is planning the same with CP2077. These are the best devs out there, If they're all doing something it's likely the right call. While lesser devs just keep offering more half baked products.

Last edited by Sarkar - on 27 September 2019

hunter_alien said:

They are not removing anything, as the game is still not out yet. Love to see companies having the confidence to do what they think is best for their games, and to know that they don't have to rely on an inferior addition to the game just to feel that they have reached some kind of quota.

The internal studios under MS could learn a thing or two from this kind of development culture Maybe their newly purchased toy studios will manage to get there in like 2 more generations...

Why would we want MS to learn from this? So you are saying MS should consider cutting features out of there games? Do we want the next Halo Infinite to exclude a multiplayer mode? No thanks.

Toy Studios? What do you mean by Toy studios?

Sarkar said:

They already said they're going to make it, just not as a half baked mode but rather as something that can stand on it's own. 

Guerrilla Games is also making a Multiplayer title. Clearly they don't want to make Multiplayer games with tacked on Campaigns or Single Player games with tacked on Multiplayer. All that does is make the overall product look bad. If a game is SP only people judge it based solely on that, but it has a Multiplayer that's not as good as the Single player or vice versa the entire game suffers for it. 

We've seen Rockstar do it with GTAV and RDR2, and CDPR is planning the same with CP2077. These are the best devs out there, If they're all doing something it's likely the right call. While lesser devs just keep offering more half baked products.

Tacked on? If the company is good enough they can achieve both a great SP and MP modes without it being tacky. I am not sure with previous Sony titles, maybe they felt tacked on for you and by removing the feature completely will benefit your desire however that doesn't work for everyone. I actually enjoyed the MP in TLOU and I will remain a little disappointed that I wont be doing that again in the sequel with my friends. Until its confirmed I am not holding onto false hope for it to be included. If what you say comes to truth than it better be free, if its a paid (tacked) on feature if I use your words than that's charging gamers twice which is no different to MTs.

Azzanation said:
hunter_alien said:

Why would we want MS to learn from this? So you are saying MS should consider cutting features out of there games? Do we want the next Halo Infinite to exclude a multiplayer mode? No thanks.

Toy Studios? What do you mean by Toy studios?

Sarkar said:

Tacked on? If the company is good enough they can achieve both a great SP and MP modes without it being tacky. I am not sure with previous Sony titles, maybe they felt tacked on for you and by removing the feature completely will benefit your desire however that doesn't work for everyone. I actually enjoyed the MP in TLOU and I will remain a little disappointed that I wont be doing that again in the sequel with my friends. Until its confirmed I am not holding onto false hope for it to be included. If what you say comes to truth than it better be free, if its a paid (tacked) on feature if I use your words than that's charging gamers twice which is no different to MTs.

They've already confirmed they're making it, but after they finish the Single player game itself. 

At this point there are two choices, either push back the release till both are finished or release the single player now and then work on the MP after. The vast majority of TLOU fans don't care much for MP if at all, so what's the problem with them getting the part they want now and those who care about the MP can get it later rather than everyone waiting till later? Please explain to me exactly why you think this is bad.

As for selling it as a standalone title being the same as MTs? I'd disagree. You're acting like this game needs the multiplayer to be worth it's $60 dollars, which you know damn well is BS. There's games with a tiny fraction of the production value this game has that sell for $60. Nintendo fore instance sells low budget remakes and remasters of old games that cost them pennies to make and sell them for $60, people seem perfectly fine with it. Tons of single player only games that have a fraction of the content this game will have sell for $60, people seem fine with it. Xbox fans were not only fine but defensive of Sea of Thieves, and Crackdown 3 games that had the graphics of last gen titles with no polish or even worthwhile content clearly made on a budget smaller than what it costs to make an hour of Last of Us 2. You're not owed a multiplayer mode. They're telling you what you're getting for the $60 which is the "Most ambitious, biggest and longest Naughty Dog game ever", if you think that's not worth the $60 then don't buy it. 

Great, the first TLOU is one of my favourite games of all time.

The story and gameplay was groundbreaking at its time and still is amazing to this day. Its good that developers like ND and Publishers like Nintendo and the like aren't afraid to push single player games to a high standard, instead of pushing for tacked on multiplayer. Else we'll all be playing into the lootbox mania..

And this place never changes.... smh.

Last edited by hinch - on 27 September 2019

Around the Network

Ruins the game for me, don’t think I’ll get it now

Sarkar said:

They've already confirmed they're making it, but after they finish the Single player game itself. 

At this point there are two choices, either push back the release till both are finished or release the single player now and then work on the MP after. The vast majority of TLOU fans don't care much for MP if at all, so what's the problem with them getting the part they want now and those who care about the MP can get it later rather than everyone waiting till later? Please explain to me exactly why you think this is bad.

As for selling it as a standalone title being the same as MTs? I'd disagree. You're acting like this game needs the multiplayer to be worth it's $60 dollars, which you know damn well is BS. There's games with a tiny fraction of the production value this game has that sell for $60. Nintendo fore instance sells low budget remakes and remasters of old games that cost them pennies to make and sell them for $60, people seem perfectly fine with it. Tons of single player only games that have a fraction of the content this game will have sell for $60, people seem fine with it. Xbox fans were not only fine but defensive of Sea of Thieves, and Crackdown 3 games that had the graphics of last gen titles with no polish or even worthwhile content clearly made on a budget smaller than what it costs to make an hour of Last of Us 2. You're not owed a multiplayer mode. They're telling you what you're getting for the $60 which is the "Most ambitious, biggest and longest Naughty Dog game ever", if you think that's not worth the $60 then don't buy it. 

Did they confirm it? Can you link me it because I missed it. 

Its the idea of buying a package game not a game split into two versions that's the problem. You have fans of the 1st game that want to play the MP when the game releases not 1 or 2 years later. 

Xbox games are basically free games with GamePass so I don't know why you keep comparing them to this. Crackdown 3 launched with both SP and MP modes and SoTs offers all its future content free at no extra costs. But if you want to compare than Gears 5 just released with both an amazing SP and MP modes with amazing visuals at launch at no extra cost. The Coalition didn't say to Gears fans to wait for either the SP or MP modes until next year or 2 and possibly charge the same customer twice. That is no different to how Destiny butchered there own game by splitting the game up into 3 expansions and expect the customer to buy the game another 3 times or a Season Pass. 

Anyway ill be buying TLOU2 but if it launches on the PS5 as a complete package than ill wait that little bit longer. The price should also not be increased or we might as well start selling all games with a MP mode for more $$$ and that's not how we want the industry to evolve into. 

Last edited by Azzanation - on 27 September 2019

Sarkar said:

So it’s not cancelled. They’re making it it’s own thing.

isn’t this what people wanted. No more half baked multiplayer modes just so they can add some MTs or loot boxes?

The first LoU MP was loaded with MTX and some pay to win elements but what was “half-baked” about it? The MP up until ND went full EA on the MTX was actually incredibly good. Good maps, a cool SOCOM/R6 tactical style gameplay loop, Counter-Strike inspired points system allowing you to buy upgrades and weapons between matches, crafting stuff during a match, it was very nice. 

You speak about it like someone who clearly didn’t play it or has no interest. Which is fine, but no need to talk ignorantly about it.

Anyway I’m glad they’re apparently going to give us MP but I guess it’ll be DLC or stand alone. I wouldn’t pay $60 for a ND single player game. I’ll pay $60 for LoU2 MP depending on how they handle MTX 

Typical AAA publisher. Making only half a game but selling it full price.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

LudicrousSpeed said:
Sarkar said:

So it’s not cancelled. They’re making it it’s own thing.

isn’t this what people wanted. No more half baked multiplayer modes just so they can add some MTs or loot boxes?

The first LoU MP was loaded with MTX and some pay to win elements but what was “half-baked” about it? The MP up until ND went full EA on the MTX was actually incredibly good. Good maps, a cool SOCOM/R6 tactical style gameplay loop, Counter-Strike inspired points system allowing you to buy upgrades and weapons between matches, crafting stuff during a match, it was very nice. 

You speak about it like someone who clearly didn’t play it or has no interest. Which is fine, but no need to talk ignorantly about it.

Anyway I’m glad they’re apparently going to give us MP but I guess it’ll be DLC or stand alone. I wouldn’t pay $60 for a ND single player game. I’ll pay $60 for LoU2 MP depending on how they handle MTX 

It was good, but it wasn't Incredible, which is what ND wants to make. Sony said they will be putting even more focus on quality going forward and this just seems like proof of that claim. They could've taken part of the team and put it on MP taking away resources from the Single player, which is what they've done in the past and what other developers do all the time. Instead they've chosen to hire more staff and extend it's development schedule so they can really flesh it out and make it something truly great that can stand on it's own rather than just an obligatory addition to a game. 

How you people are spinning this into a negative is mind boggling. This is a developer making compromises in service of their vision, rather than being like most who compromise their vision.