By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I just don't get why silent protagonist's are still a thing in video games!

Do you like Silent Protagonists

Love them 21 39.62%

They are OK 16 30.19%

Don't like them 16 30.19%

See results 0 0%

Total:53
Bristow9091 said:
Wyrdness said:

Because that whole section was not only a cringe fest it was executed poorly.

But it was intentionally like that, was it not?

Nah, I don't think it was ever intended to be that god awful.  Still a great game, but that scene is all kinds of awful.  

Around the Network
Bristow9091 said:
Wyrdness said:

Because that whole section was not only a cringe fest it was executed poorly.

But it was intentionally like that, was it not?

Nope it wasn't intended to be that bad it was intended to come across as some what more dramatic in portraying Tidus being down and Yuna trying to uplift him in order to set up things later when the roles are reversed it was only intended to be mildly embarrassing as to show Tidus wanting to do as Yuna says but struggling to uplift himself instead we got an over the top trolly scene in its execution.

I love FFX but hate that scene. Either way, not major issue. FFX excels with a fun battle system.

i'd assume they're still a thing because there are people who like it. It doesn't matter to me either way as I very rarely remember the dialogue of main characters in a game

I don't really want a Link with full VA myself. It won't add anything to the games and can potentially subtract a lot. Video game voice acting has gotten better, but still sucks ass. At best it's on the level of an okay anime dub.

Around the Network

As a Destiny player, this has been on my mind for 5 years now. I can't say that I like or dislike the silent protagonist thing. But, I certainly do find myself wondering whether or not it's the right choice for a given game in each instance where I see one.

Doesn't bother me at all in Legend of Zelda, Doom, nor Dragon Quest. I rather like that I fill the gaps with the personality that I want the character to have. Sometimes there's also too much talking. In combat; Morgana in Persona 5 annoys the shit out of me. Wish he would take that page from Joker's book from time to time.

4 ≈ One

Metroid was better when Samus didn't have dialogue.

Bristow9091 said:

"that bad"... but what if someone, me for example, doesn't see the scene as being bad at all? I've played the game to completion 17 times now and not once have I found it cringey, not even my first time, I understood that Tidus was down and simply forcing out a laugh to make Yuna happy, then when they both realised how stupid it sounded, they went along with it... there's even their actual laughter right after it since they're laughing at how silly they sound.

To me it will never be a bad scene, let alone a "poorly executed cringe fest", lol. 

... Also as I said to Chrkeller, even James Arnold Taylor has said it was intentional, can't really argue with one of the voice actors involved in the scene can I? :o 

The are people who don't mind bad films or scenes it still doesn't change the reality of the situation and saying that the VA said it's intentional doesn't change how poorly executed the scene was either because it just indicates they made poor choices along with bad execution.

Generally I don't mind them but it depends on the game, for example the Kingdom Hearts series would have even more super awkward dialogues if Sora didn't talk. On the other hand, I wouldn't want a talking Link.