By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I just don't get why silent protagonist's are still a thing in video games!

Do you like Silent Protagonists

Love them 21 39.62%

They are OK 16 30.19%

Don't like them 16 30.19%

See results 0 0%

Total:53
mZuzek said:
Keybladewielder said:

Generally I don't mind them but it depends on the game, for example the Kingdom Hearts series would have even more super awkward dialogues if Sora didn't talk. On the other hand, I wouldn't want a talking Link.

It's funny how you said stuff like "it depends on the game" and "on the other hand" but both of your statements were on the same side of the argument.

Um, no?

Around the Network

The Luminary is an awful example of a silent protagonist. Early in the game, he sees a view that would make any other human being either insanely mad... or cry hopeless in desperation.

Our friend The Luminary? He just raises his eyebrows a little. And after a while, he proceeds to forget everything he just saw.

It depends on the game, but I'd say 90% of the time, I don't have an issue with it.

Link definitely didn't need to talk in BOTW; besides tradition, I feel the structure of the story being told mostly through flashback means a bigger focus on Link remembering these events that happened around him and nothing more, it was a minimalistic approach for a story.

Samus not talking is fine since the world and environment of those games (especially the Prime trilogy) tell you more than enough (also Other M was a thing).

I don't think a voiced protagonist in XCX would've mattered; the way the story was structured is way different than the first two games, and there was a bigger emphasis on the side quests for injecting more story and world building I feel (one of a good handful of reasons why I didn't like the game's story).

Gordon Freeman not talking while somewhat odd, feels kinda natural due to the game being a first-person shooter, so I feel like the characters are directly talking to me, even if they refer to me as "Gordon".

Persona is a weird case; with 3 and 4, the characters are blank slates, but then you have the anime adaptations that make them established characters and inject some unique personality that wasn't obvious in the games, if it existed in the first place. They made it clear that Makoto Yuki is somewhat of an introvert that usually didn't care what happened, and Yu Narukami was both a serious but very light-hearted guy, and I feel these personalities would've made their games even stronger. Joker/Ren Amamiya is a special case cause even though he's basically a silent protagonist, he still says a good amount of lines when saving the game, making certain choices, and in combat, and they add just the subtle amount of personality I feel. If you go out of your way to listen to all of Joker's voice lines in the game files, you can tell they wanted to make Joker a carefree, mischievous guy, but because his voice lines are extremely underutilized, that's not super obvious when you play the game for the first time. It doesn't really bother me cause in the end, I am focused on building relations with the other characters and getting to know them all better, so a silent protagonist doesn't feel weird or anything, since it allows me to get a more personal connection with these characters.

And yeah, Astral Chain is a bad example of doing silent protagonist, everyone makes a big deal out of you, from your sibling, to your father, to all your comrades, and the camera likes to focus on you during cutscenes, and yet your character awkwardly does neutral emotions, and I feel like they wanna say something. Doesn't make any sense when you consider both genders of Akira are voiced, so idk why they made it so you're silent, doesn't seem like a natural choice, but a lazy one.

Last edited by Ultrashroomz - on 23 September 2019

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Silent is the best in my opinion. I remember especially the original Dragon Age. The dialog trees were huge and branching, and I could imagine myself saying the things that I chose to say as my customized character. The next Dragon Ages have had a voiced protagonist and that has not only reduced the dialogues into fluff with just a couple of options, but now you cannot see exactly what your character is going to say, so something entirely unexpected might come out of his mouth. It is also immersion breaking, because I can no longer imagine saying the lines myself, but they are voiced by someone else that is potentially irritating to listen to as well.

Sometimes you just want people to shut the fuck up.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

Different strokes. I love silent protags, and generally dislike voiced MCs.

Bristow9091 said:
Wyrdness said:

Nope it wasn't intended to be that bad it was intended to come across as some what more dramatic in portraying Tidus being down and Yuna trying to uplift him in order to set up things later when the roles are reversed it was only intended to be mildly embarrassing as to show Tidus wanting to do as Yuna says but struggling to uplift himself instead we got an over the top trolly scene in its execution.

"that bad"... but what if someone, me for example, doesn't see the scene as being bad at all? I've played the game to completion 17 times now and not once have I found it cringey, not even my first time, I understood that Tidus was down and simply forcing out a laugh to make Yuna happy, then when they both realised how stupid it sounded, they went along with it... there's even their actual laughter right after it since they're laughing at how silly they sound.

To me it will never be a bad scene, let alone a "poorly executed cringe fest", lol. 

... Also as I said to Chrkeller, even James Arnold Taylor has said it was intentional, can't really argue with one of the voice actors involved in the scene can I? :o 

I agree with you, I think it was intended to be awkward.  It's been a while since I played that game, but doesn't Yuna even say something along the line lines of, "Um... stop, don't laugh anymore."

pokoko said:
I have no problem with it. My imagination is plenty capable of supplying a voice for a silent protagonist. What do you people do when you read books?

Books don't really count because the characters aren't silent.  They're technically still speaking, they just don't have a physical voice.

new video about that issue:

View on YouTube

Quite funny (if you can understand German)

Paperboy_J said:
pokoko said:
I have no problem with it. My imagination is plenty capable of supplying a voice for a silent protagonist. What do you people do when you read books?

Books don't really count because the characters aren't silent.  They're technically still speaking, they just don't have a physical voice.

The same happens with a number of silent protagonists though when you select dialogue they're speaking as well even in cases like Zelda Link does speak but not with voiced lines as he doesn't communicate with other characters.