By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I just don't get why silent protagonist's are still a thing in video games!

Do you like Silent Protagonists

Love them 21 39.62%

They are OK 16 30.19%

Don't like them 16 30.19%

See results 0 0%

Total:53

I am curious, for those who would prefer someone like Link to have an actual voice, who would you want as his VA and how would you characterize Link, after 30+ years of him being the main protagonist in the Zelda series?

I think silent protagonists have their place in the current gaming landscape. They're not for everyone. I personally don't really mind it because I don't really think about it while I am playing. I enjoy the games regardless of voice acting.

Around the Network

There's nothing inherently wrong with silent protagonists. In the right situation pretty much any element can work to a game's advantage, and silent protagonists are no exception. They can certainly be misused and some games would benefit from not using one, but there's no clear cut right answer for every situation.

In was a little odd in Breath of the Wild, i dunni i dont think they will voice link for a long while. Another good example of this is GTA 3 back in the day. He was totally mute. Does the character speak in Skyrim? I cant rememeber

Nogamez said:

Another good example of this is GTA 3 back in the day. He was totally mute.

And totally boring. They got it right in the later GTA games with unforgettable protagonists (and NPCs).

Nogamez said:
In was a little odd in Breath of the Wild, i dunni i dont think they will voice link for a long while. Another good example of this is GTA 3 back in the day. He was totally mute. Does the character speak in Skyrim? I cant rememeber

Skyrim is silent and I prefer it that way for such games as in FO4 it felt off having the VA.

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:
Nogamez said:

Skyrim is silent and I prefer it that way for such games as in FO4 it felt off having the VA.

It makes sense for games where you create your own character, especially if there are more options than humans.

Conina said:
Wyrdness said:

It makes sense for games where you create your own character, especially if there are more options than humans.

It does but then it still works fine for set characters as well like in DQ and Zelda it's more down to how the game approaches things for example I've found Final Fantasy to be hit or miss since VA's were added with the now infamous Tidus laugh being an example of a miss while Ardyn being a positive example.

Speaking of silence, Link's Awakening is easily GotY for me thus far. Superb title. Great dungeons and creative overworld.

Bristow9091 said:
Wyrdness said:

It does but then it still works fine for set characters as well like in DQ and Zelda it's more down to how the game approaches things for example I've found Final Fantasy to be hit or miss since VA's were added with the now infamous Tidus laugh being an example of a miss while Ardyn being a positive example.

Question: Why do you see the laugh as a miss?

Because that whole section was not only a cringe fest it was executed poorly.

The only games that it doesnt really bother me are Zelda.

In Fire Emblem Three Houses it makes no sense... And you are a professor for goodness sake. They could have recorded Byleth's lines easily. Especially since there is no real customization of the character.

Y's 8 kind of bothered me too. I assume it will in Astral Chain as well.

1doesnotsimply