By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Rumor: Sony plans to launch the PS5 and PS5 Pro at the same time.

Eh, not a good idea. Having multiple SKUS with different specs strikes me more as PC gaming. Simple is best, and they should probably only launch with one SKU.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network

It's probably true. I honestly don't think we have to be worried about consumer confusion anymore. Currently consumers who want to get into console gaming already have several models to choose from that will give them anywhere between 900p to 4k on the same game with radically different price points. If anything it would be strange not having the choice nowadays.

solidpumar said:

Also consider that the gpu cost should be around 100 of the production cost, so being able to charge 200 more would essentially make them able to buy a gpu essentially 3 times more expensive, enough for 2.5x times more powerfull. ( I know will be a APU, but is analogos)

That's not how it works, since yields will decrease proportionally to increasing die size and also far less will fit into the same round wafer. Double the size of the APU and you have something 3.5-4 times more expensive. Not to mention the need for more, faster memory, else you will create bottlenecks... and more cooling, which demands an entire redesign of the power supply unit and cooling systems. This is specially significant since consumer electronics have rules concerning power consumption and heat output, and a product above certain wattage will have to comply to more costly, specialized regulation.

It's not impossible, mind you, but the extra production cost would be far closer to, say, $400 than $200. And that's for a difference in performance smaller and far less noticeable than that of the PS4 vs. the PS4 Pro.

twintail said:
highly doubt it.
They will keep it simple

This.There is no reason to complicate things, especially since I feel like they will have a good launch lineup, unlike the PS4.

Plus, they need stuff down the line to keep things interesting.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Why would they do that? There would be no incentive for the base model other than price, which could be accomplished better a couple of years after launch, when production prices are lower.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network

If it happens the Pro needs to be a truly Premium Product. PS5 base should be $499.99, while the Pro would be a $999.99 product. Make it like the difference between buying a $2,000 4K TV or a $10,000 4K TV. It should be a product Priced for, and Aimed at the enthusiast gamer, and not something that would even cross the mind of the average PlayStation buyer.

There is no reason for this not to happen. Everything across Hardware and Software is built around scalability. Having a seperate Enthusiast level PS5, that is aimed at consumers that what locked 4K/60FPS on every title, instead of Variable Resolutions and Frame Rates would be perfect.

This is not something too outrageous for developers to handle, and not everyone wants to deal with a PC, or have a PC hooked up to their TV. Also many people are fine paying a premium for subtle enhancements. It does not have to mean every aspect of every game should be a huge leap over the base unit. As I said above, simply having locked Frame Rates and Resolution vs Variable on the base console is more than enough to justify paying a premium price. Just look at the Display, Audio, and Video markets,people pay massive prices for devices that have a very slight increase in fidelity.

I really hope this happens. The console market needs to finally reach out to people looking for a Top End Graphics, who also want the User Experierce of a Console OS, Store, and Peripherals..

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Buy a PS5 and PC, about time consoles stopped trying to be a super computer.

KBG29 said:
If it happens the Pro needs to be a truly Premium Product. PS5 base should be $499.99, while the Pro would be a $999.99 product. Make it like the difference between buying a $2,000 4K TV or a $10,000 4K TV. It should be a product Priced for, and Aimed at the enthusiast gamer, and not something that would even cross the mind of the average PlayStation buyer.

There is no reason for this not to happen. Everything across Hardware and Software is built around scalability. Having a seperate Enthusiast level PS5, that is aimed at consumers that what locked 4K/60FPS on every title, instead of Variable Resolutions and Frame Rates would be perfect.

This is not something too outrageous for developers to handle, and not everyone wants to deal with a PC, or have a PC hooked up to their TV. Also many people are fine paying a premium for subtle enhancements. It does not have to mean every aspect of every game should be a huge leap over the base unit. As I said above, simply having locked Frame Rates and Resolution vs Variable on the base console is more than enough to justify paying a premium price. Just look at the Display, Audio, and Video markets,people pay massive prices for devices that have a very slight increase in fidelity.

I really hope this happens. The console market needs to finally reach out to people looking for a Top End Graphics, who also want the User Experierce of a Console OS, Store, and Peripherals..

If the PS3 was a laughing stock after the 599 US$ reveal, who on Earth will buy a console that costs 1000$? Also, the sheer power difference would mean little, considering most, if not all, will go for the option that doesn't bankrup them. So in the end very few games would use the power of the Pro version.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

I'm in for the pro.

Ask stefl1504 for a sig, even if you don't need one.

If that's the case I will buy the Pro.