By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The HD console war is over, and the result is a tie.

Thread fixed!

Around the Network

The point that all the naysayers are refusing the admit it that it doesn't matter if the ps3 outsells the 360 at this point. The reality of the industry is that if your going to make an HD game. Its going to cost a lot of $$$. Now you'll want to make sure your game can reach the most amount of people as possible. Thus since the 360 has significant enough userbase, a proven track record in regards to software sales and good enough harware sales to maintain momentum every developer that isnt being paid by sony or microsoft will be releasing it on both.

Its not about specs or graphics or any of the crap that people think it is. its simply about return on investment. If your not releasing it on the wii its going to be mulitplatform.

FaRmLaNd said:
The point that all the naysayers are refusing the admit it that it doesn't matter if the ps3 outsells the 360 at this point. The reality of the industry is that if your going to make an HD game. Its going to cost a lot of $$$. Now you'll want to make sure your game can reach the most amount of people as possible. Thus since the 360 has significant enough userbase, a proven track record in regards to software sales and good enough harware sales to maintain momentum every developer that isnt being paid by sony or microsoft will be releasing it on both.

Its not about specs or graphics or any of the crap that people think it is. its simply about return on investment. If your not releasing it on the wii its going to be mulitplatform.

I agree. And this is all anyone show care about. That 3rd party games come to your system. At this point, that's most likely going to happen.

The only time I would disagree, is there is a chance that in the future, once the tools mature, that PS3 games look a lot better then 360 games, and to develop for the two consoles cost more this time around, as the code structure has to be so different. If in the end there are 5x the number of PS3's then at that point multi plat games might go just to the PS3 for ROI reasons.

If that does happen, it won't be for 3-4 years, so no need to debate it now anyway.

NJ5 said:

3- Even before Nintendo announces the new level of Wii production, the Wii is inching closer and closer to near-50% market share, which means that choosing to target the Wii as a development platform will give you access to a userbase which is nearly as big as 360/PS3 combined.

Yes, the userbase is nearly the same size, but for certain types of games I'd argue that developers realize putting them on x360+ps3 will yield far higher sales than putting them on wii alone.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

HAHAHA

Xbots 2 years ago: "MS will be on top they have a year jump on the other two"

Xbots b4 Wii/PS3 launch: "Wii is a gimmick it won't sell. PS3 will have another failed format and will also fail, MS made the right choice choosing HD-DVD"

Xbots after Wii passes 360 sales: "Wii isn't HD so it doesn't count" lol funny but sad and pathetic as well

Xbots after Blu ray won "ughhhh duhhh ummm DD are the future. HD physical media will fail soon"

Xbots after PS3 starts selling more than 360 "SHortages, massive shartages that is the reason 360 will still win once we get some supply"

Xbots after supply issue is solved but PS3 still outselling "PS3/360 are tied and must unite to combat Wii"

You Xbots are amusing, your excuses get more and more desperate. Face it MS failed again 2nd place last gen, and this gen looks to land them in 3rd. So instead of moving up to 1st they will fall to 3rd. Keep coming up with desperate excuses it is rather amusing for me, but sad for you.

Around the Network

I don't agree with NJ5's analysis, but calling him an xbot is so wrong I'm almost laughing.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

halil23 said:
NJ5 said:

1- Both consoles are virtually dead in Japan

Ok now this thread fail, have you not heard of FF13, that game will make a huge impact on PS3 sales.

Instead you should make a thread about this same thing but only for 360, as that already happening.

What do you mean? I practically used PS3 and 360 interchangeably in my analysis.

@Auron: I supposed you're trying to get banned again? If you think I'm going to enter the discussion you just started, you're very wrong.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Kyros said:
and the 360 has an edge in America

no it doesn't look at the sales.

The point is that the 360's installed base advantage is not about to dwindle away anytime soon.  So regardless of whether or not the PS3 is barely outselling the 360 in America, it's installed base advantage will all but certainly keep it above the PS3 in America for years to come.

NJ5: Nice article.  You are correct with the overview / big picture of everything: the 360 and PS3 have basically tied and the result for the foreseeable future is that they're at the same success level and developer desirability level.  If anything, the 360 is more desirable right now from a dev perspective, but this will probably shift toward the PS3 over the next couple of years.  And yet, it's basically a tie.

You'll find a lot of people here to argue with you on the details, obviously, because the trend right now is that the PS3 has been improving relative to the 360, despite the 360's installed base advantage which is not going away anytime soon.  Best case scenario for the PS3, the it will catch the 360 WW in mid 2009, then it will have a year or so where it enjoys the slight advantage the 360 currently has.  Right now we have tie-advantage 360, and in two years we might have tie-advantage PS3.

However, the question for these two consoles is what the heck happens 3 or 4 years from now.  Does the 360 die abruptly like the Xbox does giving MS no hope of it actually being a profitable product?  I have a reasonable amount of faith in Sony's overall plan with the PS3 which should make it a significantly profitable product all things considered, but the 360 looks like it will probably lead MS to a couple of marginally profitable years at best, never even approaching overall profit, then go away like the original Xbox did.

The PS3 may still be able to follow the 10 year life cycle, remaining a popular product through seven or eight years of its life, the last few of which will occur while the PS4 gains traction.  The only question is whether or not Sony can cost-reduce the PS3 enough to profit at the $150 or $100 price point necessary when you launch a new console at $300 or $400.

TheBigFatJ said:

The PS3 may still be able to follow the 10 year life cycle, remaining a popular product through seven or eight years of its life, the last few of which will occur while the PS4 gains traction.  The only question is whether or not Sony can cost-reduce the PS3 enough to profit at the $150 or $100 price point necessary when you launch a new console at $300 or $400.

The PS2 is only selling 7-8 years into it's lifecycle because of how dominating it was the earlier 6-7 years.   The PS3 will not have that luxury, period.  

Both consoles with die out far more abruptly than will the PS2 but not as much as the Xbox.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Auron said:
HAHAHA

Xbots 2 years ago: "MS will be on top they have a year jump on the other two"

Xbots b4 Wii/PS3 launch: "Wii is a gimmick it won't sell. PS3 will have another failed format and will also fail, MS made the right choice choosing HD-DVD"

Xbots after Wii passes 360 sales: "Wii isn't HD so it doesn't count" lol funny but sad and pathetic as well

Xbots after Blu ray won "ughhhh duhhh ummm DD are the future. HD physical media will fail soon"

Xbots after PS3 starts selling more than 360 "SHortages, massive shartages that is the reason 360 will still win once we get some supply"

Xbots after supply issue is solved but PS3 still outselling "PS3/360 are tied and must unite to combat Wii"

You Xbots are amusing, your excuses get more and more desperate. Face it MS failed again 2nd place last gen, and this gen looks to land them in 3rd. So instead of moving up to 1st they will fall to 3rd. Keep coming up with desperate excuses it is rather amusing for me, but sad for you.

LOL, hilarious. and also very true. I laughed when I read the title.