By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The HD console war is over, and the result is a tie.

starcraft said:
DMeisterJ said:
starcraft said:
libellule said:
Resistance2/Motorstorm2/Killzone2/100$pricecut combo

will move PS3 like hot cake at Xmas ...

(and dont forget a new GT5pro release with the added content like car damage, more cars etc ...)
A $100 dollar price cut in America with it's crippled exchange rate is unlikely if Sony ever want to make money off the PS3. Killzone has a terrible reputation amongst gamers. Even if KZ2 turns out to be brilliant it will struggle to overcome this perception. Motorstorm and Resistance are both sequels to games that were exclusive to the PS3 (and had many bundled sales). How are they meant to shift hardware?

If Killzone 2 is 'brilliant', what perception would it have to overcome?

Most, if not all, PS3 fans are going to wind up buying the game, based on hype alone, and it actually being good alongside it will only help. The only people that it has to overcome this perception of being 'mediocre' are people who don't want to like this game, due to them liking an opposite console...

If KZ2 is brilliant, that isn't something that will automatically be known by the people you want to buy a console for the game.  Most non-forum watching gamers will assume it is terrible like the first game.

Yeah, so terrible it got a sequel.

Around the Network
Kyros said:
A $100 dollar price cut in America with it's crippled exchange rate is unlikely if Sony ever want to make money off the PS3.

I think the situation is not much different for Microsoft with the exchange rate. I am almost positively sure that 99% of the 360 are made in Asia.
But that only mitigates the effect of selling your consoles in US$ to a certain extent...........

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Banjo Kazooie sold well over a million in Europe on the N64.

I just looked: it sold more in America so what about it is "Europe centric" ? . Especially since Jump&Run not exactly have their best time at the moment. (If you exclude Galaxy)

even if a 360 price cut massively increases it's sales?

I didn't say they are dead in Europe. I said they are falling back behind the PS3. If even a price-cut cannot get them into PS3 reach they are in trouble.

Oh and to the complete GTA experience on 360 story. Get over it. GTA will sell more units for 360 (because of the larger userbase) but the DLC is not really relevant at the moment. Complete experience here or there you haven't even seen a screenshot so I really doubt anyone will base his "Will I buy a PS3 or 360" decision on this.

But that only mitigates the effect of selling your consoles in US$ to a certain extent...........

What do you mean? I am only saying that both companies (actually the same for Nintendo although they have no pricing pressure) are in the same boat. Both make their consoles in Asia. Both pay in Taiwan dollar or whatever and both sell in the United States for US$. So all have the same problems.

Saying PS3 and 360 are equivilant in Japan is a stretch, PS3 has sold three times as much in half the time. The gap will only grow, slimmer PS3, more games and lower price will ensure the gap grows faster.

So PS3 in Japan and Europe, 360 in the US.

The likelihood that PS360 selling better in the future is higher than the likelihood of Wii selling better. In other words, at what higher rate can the Wii sell when it's already selling out, while the PS3 and 360 have room to sell at a better rate in the future with game releases and price cuts.

Also you aren't factoring in PCs, PS360 games also get PC releases usually, so the real HD userbase is PC+360+PS3 which means the HD consoles will get the bulk of big 3rd party releases (especially from western companies).

Also SD Vs. HD will only matter this gen, next gen Nintendo console will surely be HD.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Around the Network

fastrabbit killed the thread =P

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

Kyros said:
the central point is that the PS3 and 360 will never have different enough userbases to cause developers to make PS3/360 exclusive games

I think its more likely than not that the PS3 will outsell the 360 by a big amount till the end of this generation. Could be changed by one successful game but the 360 is essentially dead or falling back outside of America. So if this happens I would say we do not have a "tie". For exclusives: this will depend on the differences in userbase and the ease of ports. But as I said we do not know what will happen.

18 months ago people were saying the Wii doesn't chance a chance against PS3. 6 months ago people on this forum were talking about the PS3 being dead in the water. At the moment you say its a tie between 360 and PS3. I think we should have learned one thing:It is not easy to predict the future.
QFT

Probably the best and the most obvious point of all. That's why I'm starting to get bored with the "WHOLE IDEA" of predecting.

e.g.

(game) will be exclusive to the (console) because (blah blah blah..)

A wild unproven guess is given and with that statement people start to go after each others necks... I hate psuedo analysts.... But I'm not saying this thread is Bad at all.. It's another perspective of how it may end up. YOUR PERSPECTIVE AND ASUMPTIONS. Saying it's final and it's decided is another thing and IMO, stupid.

Finally, an interesting thread! :p About time too!

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

There never was a war, but ok, I can play this game :)

Was there a clear winner in the PS2 vs X-Box "war"?

Last I saw, the X-Box sold 24 million. I would wait until the 360 sells 33% more units before I would declare "tie".

Neos said:
fastrabbit killed the thread =P

I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees that. I wonder how he did it :O

If it reaches the second page, it should be fine again I hope.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957