By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The HD console war is over, and the result is a tie.

Smidlee said:
Viper1 said:
Smidlee said:
"2- Game development costs are said to be much lower on the Wii, mainly due to lower cost of developing ED graphical assets vs HD ones."
I thought it was because of the fact Wii is basically a upgraded GameCube so developers already familiar with it's hardware. HD in itself doesn't make games more expensive since there are HD games like Super StarDust HD for $10.
Who you quoted is correct. High resolution textures cost more to draw and render than SD and are a bulk of the increased production cost this generation. Art has alsways been the biggest chunk of production costs.

SSD HD is a downloadable title and therefore you don't have manufacturing, packaging, wharehousing, shipping, distribution, retail margins, etc...
High detail 3D models cost no matter the resolution. Higher resolution can show greater details of a 3D models especially when adding distance. (so you can get by with ugly low resolution 3D models more on SD than on a PC or HD console. Yet there are some PC games that have them) All modern day PC games are in much higher resolution than SD.

Yes games are cheaper to develop for the Wii and it often shows.
(emphasis added)
HD means you have to make more details. Therefore you have to spend more time (man-hours) making details, therefore more expensive. That's not even considering whether the developers would need better computers, etc.

Games are cheaper to make on the Wii largely because it is not in HD.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom!