By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The HD console war is over, and the result is a tie.

@Starcraft

You seem to be forgetting that the average consumer wont care/even know about the DLC for the 360 GTA4 so calling the PS3 version 'incomplete' is rather biased don't you think?

Around the Network
starcraft said:
libellule said:
Resistance2/Motorstorm2/Killzone2/100$pricecut combo

will move PS3 like hot cake at Xmas ...

(and dont forget a new GT5pro release with the added content like car damage, more cars etc ...)
A $100 dollar price cut in America with it's crippled exchange rate is unlikely if Sony ever want to make money off the PS3.  Killzone has a terrible reputation amongst gamers.  Even if KZ2 turns out to be brilliant it will struggle to overcome this perception.  Motorstorm and Resistance are both sequels to games that were exclusive to the PS3 (and had many bundled sales).  How are they meant to shift hardware?

If Killzone 2 is 'brilliant', what perception would it have to overcome?

Most, if not all, PS3 fans are going to wind up buying the game, based on hype alone, and it actually being good alongside it will only help.   The only people that it has to overcome this perception of being 'mediocre' are people who don't want to like this game, due to them liking an opposite console...

@DMeisterJ: My conclusion doesn't require that present trends continue. What I'm saying is that Sony and Microsoft have proven that neither of them will let the other get a huge advantage. That's because of the present situation, along with the fact that they're both willing to drop huge amounts of money to maintain good sales.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

You realize that it's sales in Europe are significantly higher than this time last year right?

Weeks after a price cut? Surprise! And even that doesn't change the fact that they are spanked by the PS3 in Europe. You talk about another pricecut for the 360, I think we know what will happen when the PS3 gets a price-cut in Europe.

Besides European Centric games like Banjo Kazooie 3? LOL I am European and this is surely not centered on me. I think Microsoft can write off Europe. Although I do not hope that because competition is good for business and SCEE often gives us a raw deal.

A $100 dollar price cut in America with it's crippled exchange rate is unlikely if Sony ever want to make money off the PS3.

I think the situation is not much different for Microsoft with the exchange rate. I am almost positively sure that 99% of the 360 are made in Asia.

Around the Network
DMeisterJ said:
starcraft said:
libellule said:
Resistance2/Motorstorm2/Killzone2/100$pricecut combo

will move PS3 like hot cake at Xmas ...

(and dont forget a new GT5pro release with the added content like car damage, more cars etc ...)
A $100 dollar price cut in America with it's crippled exchange rate is unlikely if Sony ever want to make money off the PS3. Killzone has a terrible reputation amongst gamers. Even if KZ2 turns out to be brilliant it will struggle to overcome this perception. Motorstorm and Resistance are both sequels to games that were exclusive to the PS3 (and had many bundled sales). How are they meant to shift hardware?

If Killzone 2 is 'brilliant', what perception would it have to overcome?

Most, if not all, PS3 fans are going to wind up buying the game, based on hype alone, and it actually being good alongside it will only help. The only people that it has to overcome this perception of being 'mediocre' are people who don't want to like this game, due to them liking an opposite console...

If KZ2 is brilliant, that isn't something that will automatically be known by the people you want to buy a console for the game.  Most non-forum watching gamers will assume it is terrible like the first game.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

@ NJ5

1. The 360 is on useless life support for Japan, the PS3 is merely hibernating and may wake up to take a pee on the 360 when MGS4 and other anticipated games are released later this year. It needs its rest for the big fight against the Wii when the slimline PS3 and Final Fantasy arrives.

2. Exclusive development is better for the PS3 to achieve the best results due to better specs (tapping otherwise largely unused Cell and Blu-Ray potential). Developer costs can go down and results for both platforms can go up by leading development projects on the PS3 which leads to clever design.

When you look at the big picture, it's clear that Microsoft and Sony have laid all their cards on the table.

Microsoft has shown nearly all its aces by pushing sequels to best selling XBox games onto the market. Sony has nearly all the big proven aces still in hand.

Due to number 1, it's clear that these two consoles will continue to sell well, and their userbases will never be too far apart from each other

I think this will be the 360's last good year and the PS3's first really good year (relatively speaking as the PS3 has kept pace and actually improved on the 360's sales comparing equal time frames).

With regard to HDTV (PS3/360) and SDTV (PS2/Wii) I agree, but time plays into the favour of the more highly specced consoles in this regard. HDTV sales and Blu-Ray sales are skyrocketing, with game releases like GTA IV, Metal Gear Solid and later big games like Gran Turismo 5 and Final Fantasy XIII demand for high definition game system(s) will increase. This is a gradual process, just like moving from VHS to DVD or PC gamers gradually upgrading from Windows 9X to XP.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Squall_Leonhart said:
@Starcraft

You seem to be forgetting that the average consumer wont care/even know about the DLC for the 360 GTA4 so calling the PS3 version 'incomplete' is rather biased don't you think?

Actually it isn't biased at all, primarily because it wasn't an opinion.  It is a fact, straight from the mouth of Rockstar....................

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/07/26/rockstar-only-gta-iv-on-xbox-has-complete-experience/

DMeisterJ said:
Most, if not all, PS3 fans are going to wind up buying the game, based on hype alone, and it actually being good alongside it will only help.

u do realize that this statement is predicting an absurdly high attach rate...

Bets:Missed by 420k I bet leo-j vg$500 that wii will sell 31 million by 7/31/08.  Sorry, I don't think he has enough vg$ to make it with all of u that wish you could. Hit, with room to spare I bet kingofwale a 1-week ban that wii Americas ltd sales>360 Americas ltd sales as of the numbers for week ending 7/05/08 (using vgchartz homepage #s)

Predictions:

Wii will sell 18-20mil by 12/31/07  CHECKWii will sell 45mil+ WW by 12/31/08Wii will surpass PS2 sales WW by 11/17/11 (5yr anniversary)Wii Fit will hit 12mil sales in 2009MKWii+SSBB+Wii Fit+SMG > 50 mil sales by 2010 > gta4+mgs+gt5+ff13+haze+lbp
Kyros said:
You realize that it's sales in Europe are significantly higher than this time last year right?

Weeks after a price cut? Surprise! And even that doesn't change the fact that they are spanked by the PS3 in Europe. You talk about another pricecut for the 360, I think we know what will happen when the PS3 gets a price-cut in Europe.

Besides European Centric games like Banjo Kazooie 3? LOL I am European and this is surely not centered on me. I think Microsoft can write off Europe. Although I do not hope that because competition is good for business and SCEE often gives us a raw deal.

Banjo Kazooie sold well over a million in Europe on the N64.  Why does the PS3 getting a price cut in Europe make the 360 dead, even if a 360 price cut massively increases it's sales?

Microsoft is shifting 70k consoles a week in Europe.  How in god's name is that a write-off?