By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The HD console war is over, and the result is a tie.

the central point is that the PS3 and 360 will never have different enough userbases to cause developers to make PS3/360 exclusive games

I think its more likely than not that the PS3 will outsell the 360 by a big amount till the end of this generation. Could be changed by one successful game but the 360 is essentially dead or falling back outside of America. So if this happens I would say we do not have a "tie". For exclusives: this will depend on the differences in userbase and the ease of ports. But as I said we do not know what will happen.

18 months ago people were saying the Wii doesn't chance a chance against PS3. 6 months ago people on this forum were talking about the PS3 being dead in the water. At the moment you say its a tie between 360 and PS3. I think we should have learned one thing:It is not easy to predict the future.

Around the Network

Calling this thing finished now is just stupid imo... I mean there is much more to a console war than the 1st year or so...

agree with kyros - you cant predict whats going to happen but the one thing i'm sure of is whatever happens it's not going to be good for MS. It suits to have 2 sets of dev teams at the moment whilst ps360 has 45ish% and the Wii 55% but it wont remain this way.

If PS3 has big releases and claws it's way back then wii support will be disowned faster than a ginger haired stepson but whats more likely is if Wii keeps outselling, ups production and gets to 60 - 65% market share then I think the amount of ps360 dev teams will diminish.

PS3 outselling the 360 by 8000 units or so is not huge for America, if it was by about 20000 then you could say that. But alot of people look at figures like that and say "PS3 is killing 360 in America". Which is false.

Console war is over imo too.

I find it funny that its the 360 fans that are saying the 'war' is over now that the PS3 is outselling the console each week by roughly 50,000 units!

If it was the other way around i'm sure they would have a different tune lol

Around the Network

Nice write-up... almost.

You make *some* valid points, but the whole article is based off of the fact that if the current trends continue as they are right now, but things can change... I think that we can all look at PSP sales in Japan, and compare them to last year, and we can see how far things have changed in such a short time.

Also, the PS2 is alive and well, as you can see from sales charts. For some time to come, it looks like it will keep on selling, and as we can see, developing for PS2 is the cheapest of all options, so look to Wii getting PS2 ports for some time to come, if the past few months are any indication, which is what you used to write the topic of this thread.

I think the major problem with your post is that you neglect to forsee any changes from Microsoft or SONY in terms of their plans to sell more consoles. These pony's still have tricks, and I think that they won't take this lying down.

PS3 outselling the 360 by 8000 units or so is not huge for America

agreed but its more the trend. 360 was outselling PS3 in America each and every month and now that has changed. If things would stay like they are forever it would be no big thing. But things will change again and the question is in which direction?

Kyros said:
PS3 outselling the 360 by 8000 units or so is not huge for America

agreed but its more the trend. 360 was outselling PS3 in America each and every month and now that has changed. If things would stay like they are forever it would be no big thing. But things will change again and the question is in which direction?

My mistake, the figures got revised a think, PS3 only outsold by 1500 or so in America?

Kyros said:
the central point is that the PS3 and 360 will never have different enough userbases to cause developers to make PS3/360 exclusive games

I think its more likely than not that the PS3 will outsell the 360 by a big amount till the end of this generation. Could be changed by one successful game but the 360 is essentially dead or falling back outside of America. So if this happens I would say we do not have a "tie". For exclusives: this will depend on the differences in userbase and the ease of ports. But as I said we do not know what will happen.

18 months ago people were saying the Wii doesn't chance a chance against PS3. 6 months ago people on this forum were talking about the PS3 being dead in the water. At the moment you say its a tie between 360 and PS3. I think we should have learned one thing:It is not easy to predict the future.

You realize that it's sales in Europe are significantly higher than this time last year right?  Furthermore, you realize of course that this prior to the release of the only complete GTAIV experience exclusive to the 360 right?  And finally you of course realize that it may receive another European price cut before Christmas alongside Europe-centric games like Fable 2 and Banjo Kazooie 3 right?

Your right.  The 360 is dead outside of America.  /sarcasm

I have little doubt that you struggle to predict the future, as you fail to accurately observe the present. 

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

libellule said:
Resistance2/Motorstorm2/Killzone2/100$pricecut combo

will move PS3 like hot cake at Xmas ...

(and dont forget a new GT5pro release with the added content like car damage, more cars etc ...)
A $100 dollar price cut in America with it's crippled exchange rate is unlikely if Sony ever want to make money off the PS3.  Killzone has a terrible reputation amongst gamers.  Even if KZ2 turns out to be brilliant it will struggle to overcome this perception.  Motorstorm and Resistance are both sequels to games that were exclusive to the PS3 (and had many bundled sales).  How are they meant to shift hardware?

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS