By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is ''This game looks too anime' the new 'This game looks too kiddy'

Just let people enjoy their boring games so you can continue to enjoy your boring games.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

No reason to get hurt because other people don't like your favorite art style.

HylianSwordsman said:
It depends, is the criticism about the art style, or the tropes? People who dismissed good games because the art style was cartoon instead of realistic made a big mistake, and if you dismiss Breath of the Wild just because it's art style is kind of animeish, you'd be making a similarly big mistake. If you don't want to play Xenoblade Chronicles 2 because it's a weeaboo wet dream, that I can understand. I enjoy it because I look past that stuff, but it can be cringe inducing at times.

This.

Anime to me is another art style. It's one that I'm certainly open to, but not one that I obsess over. I'm not a weeb.

Last edited by Jaicee - on 19 September 2019

I've never heard somebody say something is too Anime.

PSN ID: Stokesy 

Add me if you want but let me know youre from this website

Wind Waker HD, IMHO, is the prettiest game ever created. I personally prefer the cartoon look over realistic graphics. I'm sure others are the opposite, which is fine. The great thing about gaming is the variation between games, there is something for everyone.

Around the Network
StokedUp said:
I've never heard somebody say something is too Anime.

I've definitely heard it.  It all depends on what circles you're swimming in.  I think for younger people (lower 30s and below) it doesn't seem like anime.  It just seems like the kinds of cartoons they watched as kids or the kind of cel shaded graphics they grew up with.  But for older gamers (and cartoon lovers) like myself, anime is a very specific style and many of the tropes can be off putting.  I was never a fan of cel shading when it first started, though I have enjoyed many cel shaded games.  I've also enjoyed many anime-looking games.  But I certainly don't gravitate towards those styles personally.

What is the trend of creating a bunch of teen and below anime girls that player has to capture called? That is fuckin all over Japanese games.

curl-6 said:

No. People are allowed to not like anime aesthetics, and frankly I think it is a very overused style at the moment. I passed on Astral Chain partially because of it.

Didnt you play xenoblade chronicles 2? 

It's not the Anime look on itself. I dont remember Anime to be stereotypical this extreme.

Drawing style, posing, the expositioning, the overthetopness, mannerism, characters, the heroes the villains, the voices, everything to the minutest details feels copied&pasted over and over and over...

Hunting Season is done...

Mar1217 said:
Xxain said:
What is the trend of creating a bunch of teen and below anime girls that player has to capture called? That is fuckin all over Japanese games.

Gatcha games ?

Specifically teen to young girls only. Is that tucked in with Gatcha?