By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is ''This game looks too anime' the new 'This game looks too kiddy'

I don't know, I've just been thinking this when I see people talk about a games art style. At the very least, there is a certain similarity in the basic argument of 'what does it look like'. 

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

Around the Network

To be fair, a lot of games are going with that aesthetic. And a lot of people love that look. And conversely, a lot of people don't. That's called taste and people are entitled to their own.

….No.

Just like "This game looks too scary" is not the new "This game looks too kiddy"

Its just that there are actually people who don't love everything anime.

I'm not sure what argument you're trying to make.

If it's that some people equate "anime" with "kiddy" then that would just be amusingly ignorant and worthy of ridicule.

If it's that some people are saying, "this game look a lot like a style that is popular in Japan," then so what? If they don't like that style then they're welcome to move on to something else.

No, I don’t think so.
I don’t like Anime like… almost at all. So ''This game looks too anime” does become an issue and sometimes I cant really get into a game because of it. But that has nothing to do with whether the game is “mature” or “kiddy”. Catherine is a game completely drawn from Anime inspiration and I doubt most people (or anyone really) would consider it "kiddy".

Around the Network

Anime is a crutch for Japanese developers nowadays. Just a excuse for typical anime characters designs and personalities, fetishes for teen girls, with nonsense stories explained away by because its anime. I'm tired of that part of Anime.

I was going to a newer stock game complaint the way back in the day you'd see Wind Waker more loudly called out as being kiddy (as now adays such a complaint for games like it or Fortnite are less loud and prominent.)

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

It depends, is the criticism about the art style, or the tropes? People who dismissed good games because the art style was cartoon instead of realistic made a big mistake, and if you dismiss Breath of the Wild just because it's art style is kind of animeish, you'd be making a similarly big mistake. If you don't want to play Xenoblade Chronicles 2 because it's a weeaboo wet dream, that I can understand. I enjoy it because I look past that stuff, but it can be cringe inducing at times.

Xxain said:
Anime is a crutch for Japanese developers nowadays. Just a excuse for typical anime characters designs and personalities, fetishes for teen girls, with nonsense stories explained away by because its anime. I'm tired of that part of Anime.

Exactly!  Like the way cartoons have ruined western video games.  Without cartoons, western video games would have incredible stories and characters.  But developers are just like, "oh, we like cartoons," and it has totally ruined everything.  Man, cartoons.  The bastards.

Last edited by pokoko - on 18 September 2019

No. People are allowed to not like anime aesthetics, and frankly I think it is a very overused style at the moment. I passed on Astral Chain partially because of it.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 18 September 2019