By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is ''This game looks too anime' the new 'This game looks too kiddy'

Mar1217 said:

Sorry, I quoted your post and submited nothing by accident ...

I don't recall invoking you in any way "..."

Around the Network

Nah I don't think so I think some may mean the tropes usually associated with anime I myself am not a fan of anime but I would play some games that have an art style resembling most animes unless it has creepy content regarding women/minors

Zoombael said:

Drawing style, posing, the expositioning, the overthetopness, mannerism, characters, the heroes the villains, the voices, everything to the minutest details feels copied&pasted over and over and over...

This. In addition to the style often feeling lazy and generic, there's just so many extremely irritating tropes associated with the style.

Xxain said:
curl-6 said:

No. People are allowed to not like anime aesthetics, and frankly I think it is a very overused style at the moment. I passed on Astral Chain partially because of it.

Didnt you play xenoblade chronicles 2? 

I did, but only cos Xenoblade 1 is one of my top 10 games of all time, and I did hate the character designs and annoying anime cliches, they definitely reduced my enjoyment significantly.

I only had to watch the first trailer for Astral Chain to know I wouldn't be able to enjoy it, the character designs and VA alone were deal breakers.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 19 September 2019

Mar1217 said:
curl-6 said:

This. In addition to the style often feeling lazy and generic, there's just so many extremely irritating tropes associated with the style.

I did, but only cos Xenoblade 1 is one of my top 10 games of all time, and I did hate the character designs and shitty annoying animu cliches, they definitely reduced my enjoyment significantly.

I guess Torna would go more along your taste even when it utilized XC2's artstyle. (Which I think has always been sublime imo.)

I'm not sure actually. I did overall enjoy both base XB2 and Torna thanks to their story, music, and gameplay, I just would've liked it a lot more if it didn't have such generic anime character designs and those really cringey scenes like Tora making Poppi as a maid fetish sex doll.

I think the mostly British VA saved it to an extent, as at least it didn't have that generic American anime VA, I swear it's like they got 5 people chained in a basement somewhere in the US that do the same voices for every anime dub ever. They all sound the exact same.

Considering anime is a medium and not an art-style, I would say I have little interest in such an uninformed opinion. Might as well say you don't like any game that features music while you're at it. Heck, even the word anime is just a Japanese shortening of "animation" ...given that it can be used to refer to Western animation as well to a Japanese speaker.

Now if you were to say you don't like certain tropes or cliches, that's perfectly fair...though I don't think that's unique to Japanese games by any means.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

Around the Network
Mar1217 said:

Seems like some could be just biased to their own culture too, I mean it has always been so much easier to criticize what you think as strange and non-sensical since it never had any representation in your medium before.

I don't think that really applies here; anime has been widely circulated in the West for over two decades now, it's hardly this new alien thing never before represented.

Mar1217 said:
curl-6 said:

I don't think that really applies here; anime has been widely circulated in the West for over two decades now, it's hardly this new alien thing never before represented.

Yes, the medium(or brand) has democratisized itself a lot in the last decade (especially, since 2012-2013) amongst the younger generation and people currently at our age willing to consume medias of that form, but you'd be hard press to find it as an acutal accepted standard of our society like in TV Programs where you'd have difficulties to find something else than Toonami(Adult Swim) having a centric anime focus in it's runnning schedule. 

Not mentionning that most part of our normative culture made it so that people outside of these circles will find it just as alien as it ever was.

Heck, personally I've been reading mangas since I was like 8 yo and when I still do the same today, my peers outside of my intimate circles are sure to mention how weird and strange the medium I read is. 

Although, I'm not saying things haven't advance either, on the contrary, you just look at how much content the medium have seen brought in the last decade in our libraries and streaming services but I just wanna give a bit of my own perspective cuz I still think that we're far from the "All is well and good" phase here.

I'd say anime has been mainstream in Western society for quite a long time now, especially among the demographics that comprise most gamers. Some people just don't like it, and that's okay.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 20 September 2019