By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - [Update] Officially two years cancer free

I'm glad you can be home. I hope there is much to do / to game in the next days and weeks to distract yourself with. And I hope you can sleep well.
To a recovery as quick and painless as possible.

Around the Network

Just heard the good news. This whole experience must've had profound effects on you and hopefully after being bummed out for so long you will bounce back and be happier than ever. :)

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Not sure if that applies to being depressed, but maybe. :P

You deserve ro be happy for a long time after dealing with something like this.

RaptorChrist said:
Just heard the good news. This whole experience must've had profound effects on you and hopefully after being bummed out for so long you will bounce back and be happier than ever. :)

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Not sure if that applies to being depressed, but maybe. :P

You deserve ro be happy for a long time after dealing with something like this.

Thanks man; I can say for sure I feel a lot more positive and happy now that it's gone! After 8 months of fear and stress it's such a big load off my mind. 

I'm still working through some annoying post-operative pain but trying not let it make me too grumpy. ;)

Post-Op Day 26: Got some new meds to deal with the nerve pain I've been having. They've been a real lifesaver; the pain isn't entirely gone but it's much reduced. And they say the pains are a good sign that the grafted nerves are rewiring themselves.

I’m still mostly bed-bound, and I have to wear a moon boot/leg brace and use crutches when I do walk for another three and a half weeks, but the docs say that if all goes well, after that I’ll be able to start walking unassisted!

Last edited by curl-6 - on 10 May 2020

curl-6 said:

Post-Op Day 26: Got some new meds to deal with the nerve pain I've been having. They've been a real lifesaver; the pain isn't entirely gone but it's much reduced. And they say the pains are a good sign that the grafted nerves are rewiring themselves.

I’m still mostly bed-bound, and I have to wear a moon boot/leg brace and use crutches when I do walk for another three and a half weeks, but the docs say that if all goes well, after that I’ll be able to start walking unassisted!

I'm glad to hear that your pain is reduced. I hope it wasn't too bad up until now. Constant pain (even if it is not too bad) can get so horrible so fast. 

And using crutches really sucks. Sure it is better than not walking at all. But i was reliant on crutches on more occasions than I would have liked and I always get pain in my wrists. So, I hope you can throw them away soon.

Last edited by JuliusHackebeil - on 11 May 2020

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

Yeah crutches suck! Stairs and wet terrain were nightmares, get back to walking!

Thanks guys! Honestly the crutches don't bother me that much, after getting the cancer out I feel like it's a small price to pay. The bigger issue for me was the nerve pain which is thankfully now mostly under control. Now the biggest problem is probably boredom to be honest, being stuck in bed 95% of the day with limited internet. Again, a walk in the park compared to the alternative.

I'm staying with my family; wanna get back to my own place by June 5th though so I can download The Outer Worlds as I have much faster internet with unlimited downloads there. Hopefully by then I'll be able to walk without crutches or my leg brace.

EDIT: Just got off the phone with the hospital; my review is on the 25th of this month; if all goes well and they think I've recovered well enough, I can ditch the crutches and leg brace and start walking again then! :D

Last edited by curl-6 - on 12 May 2020

New milestone; as of today, I'm standing and walking unassisted!

My leg brace came off an hour ago, and while it's baby steps for the moment, it's the beginning of regaining normal mobility and my independence.

Still a long road ahead, as I can't walk long distances or go any faster than a slow hobble, but being able to walk again at all is a massive breakthrough, and feels amazing after being stuck in a bulky brace with crutches and spending 90% of my day in bed for the last 6 weeks.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 27 May 2020

curl-6 said:

New milestone; as of today, I'm standing and walking unassisted!

My leg brace came off an hour ago, and while it's baby steps for the moment, it's the beginning of regaining normal mobility and my independence.

Still a long road ahead, as I can't walk long distances or go any faster than a slow hobble, but being able to walk again at all is a massive breakthrough, and feels amazing after being stuck in a bulky brace with crutches and spending 90% of my day in bed for the last 6 weeks.

It seems like you are recovering really well, that's great!

I'm very happy for you!

That is just great to hear!
Do you have a specific target in mind for your first walk? Like perbaps your favourit restaurant, or park?