By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Anybody trying to lose weight ? heres my story. of 6 days 7lbs lost

Snesboy said:
sethnintendo said:

Damn now it's time to get the ladies!  If I go under 200 lbs I look like a crackhead.  215 to 220 is my optimal weight for my body type.

How tall are you? I'm 1.9m  and 97kg

I'm 6'3".  I have pretty broad shoulders so my frame is just bigger than average guy.

Around the Network
MDMAlliance said:
I'm not really overweight, but I am trying to lose excess weight and get into shape. What I'm doing is quite different than what most of you are doing.

What I do is I'm eating more times a day with smaller meals, limiting the types of calories I take in. Carbs are okay, but I focus more on protein as I am also going to the gym and protein is an important part of exercise. I use an app that tracks calories, and I weigh up most of my food (or check volume) before I eat it, and I log it.

I also eat before and after a workout and make sure I limit sugar intake. Most of my sugar comes from whole fruit. I have a baseline of how many calories my body burns daily and I aim for more calories burned than consumed.

I've noticed that someone in here said they're changing by eating fewer times a day or not at all, and I'll just let you know that doing that is likely holding you back on losing weight as your body goes into something called "starvation mode" to fight back the reduced caloric intake since it doesn't know when the next source of energy is coming.

I say to each their own.  No two bodies are the same.  Sure you want to keep your metabolism going throughout day but I am one who eats either one or two meals before work (I work second shift) then pretty much nothing the rest of day.  I might eat variety of fruit after work but it is past 3 am and no point eating meal that late.  I also don't eat during lunch at work because I don't want to have to take a shit at work.  I've lost 17 lbs in past month but mainly that is because I went to 0 on beer calories compared to 5000+ during my heavy weekend drinking days.  Basically I'm losing all my beer fat.

Last edited by sethnintendo - on 02 September 2019

numberwang said:

You don't lose weight by eating, you lose weight by not eating.

Go for a fast, either a complete fast for many days or do OMAD (one meal a day). Fasting is known as a healing technique for millennia so don't believe that it is unhealthy.

Avoid sugar and processed carbs because you'll get hungry again faster. Eat animal fat/meat and plant fat to feel satiated for a long time.

I am not fat but I am doing OMAD from time to time just to feel better. This will also cure every form of pre-diabeetis that most fatties have.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-carbohydrate_diet#Safety

https://healthyeating.sfgate.com/negative-results-eating-carbs-4182.html

As a general rule of thumb, any diet advice from someone who uses the term "fatties" is probably best to ignore for safety sake.

As for fasting being a known healing technique for millennia ... (as in thousands of years) I really have to say [citation needed]

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Ganoncrotch said:
numberwang said:

You don't lose weight by eating, you lose weight by not eating.

Go for a fast, either a complete fast for many days or do OMAD (one meal a day). Fasting is known as a healing technique for millennia so don't believe that it is unhealthy.

Avoid sugar and processed carbs because you'll get hungry again faster. Eat animal fat/meat and plant fat to feel satiated for a long time.

I am not fat but I am doing OMAD from time to time just to feel better. This will also cure every form of pre-diabeetis that most fatties have.

As a general rule of thumb, any diet advice from someone who uses the term "fatties" is probably best to ignore for safety sake.

As for fasting being a known healing technique for millennia ... (as in thousands of years) I really have to say [citation needed]

For thousands of years, beginning with philosophers like Hippocrates, Socrates and Plato, fasting was recommended for health reasons. The Bible writes that Moses and Jesus fasted for 40 days for spiritual renewal.

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=16513299&t=1567463931844

For some understanding between sugar/carbs and insulin/obesity response:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49PyKlaCKPU

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Guide-Fasting-Intermittent-Alternate-Day/dp/1628600012

Wow apparently passed my plateau. Finally got lots of sleep and have just been eating around 1.5k or so calories. I dropped 6 lbs in 1 day. Just woke up and weighed myself and that's after eating probably about 1.2k calories earlier today. 

I'm like Chris Pratt on Parks and Rec when he came back all skinny from his start in movie rolls.  Believe Ben on show asked him how he lost so much weight.  Pratt responded well I quit drinking beer for a month.  Which I believe Ben responded back how much beer did you drink?

Around the Network

I've been losing weight off and on over the past 2 or 3 years. I had become obese at 510 pounds. I have lost 160 pounds and am currently weighing 350 pounds. I tried different diets. First was the Keto diet but for me it was far to riggid and I would end up bindge eating at the first hint of failure. 3 months ago a discovered through pain and inflamation (and xrays) that I have oseto arthritis in my knees. The best way to deal with that problem is massively reducing my weight. I had recently been doing some research on what causes the struggles i was having with bindge eating and had been moving towards striat up calorie counting as my weight loss method. The arithritus was the kick in the ass i needed to really focus on the weight loss. Well.. 90 days and 50 pounds later and im still counting calories and zero bindge eating. I treat myself to things i like every day and just add up everything i eat into the my fitness pal app on my iphone. Im on quite a roll and hope to be down close to 300 by years end. And my long term goal is to get under 200 pounds.

bowserthedog said:
I've been losing weight off and on over the past 2 or 3 years. I had become obese at 510 pounds. I have lost 160 pounds and am currently weighing 350 pounds. I tried different diets. First was the Keto diet but for me it was far to riggid and I would end up bindge eating at the first hint of failure. 3 months ago a discovered through pain and inflamation (and xrays) that I have oseto arthritis in my knees. The best way to deal with that problem is massively reducing my weight. I had recently been doing some research on what causes the struggles i was having with bindge eating and had been moving towards striat up calorie counting as my weight loss method. The arithritus was the kick in the ass i needed to really focus on the weight loss. Well.. 90 days and 50 pounds later and im still counting calories and zero bindge eating. I treat myself to things i like every day and just add up everything i eat into the my fitness pal app on my iphone. Im on quite a roll and hope to be down close to 300 by years end. And my long term goal is to get under 200 pounds.

Damn sounds like you are making major progress.  I blew out my knee awhile back and never went to doctor but it eventually healed.  I noticed major difference in way knee felt once I lost like 70 lbs to get to my normal weight.  Well three years later after drinking tons put some of the weight on but now I'm only about 25 lbs from my goal.  I'm sure your knees are already thanking you. 

Never had too much problem binge eating except maybe when smoke weed and get munchies.  Beer was my major problem but going on 15 days not a single drop.

bowserthedog said:

Binge eating is quite natural to us and is likely what we have done for millions of years before the 5-meals a day modern routine. One trick is to avoid hyperpalatable processed food (cake, sandwiches, etc.) and only binge on whole foods (steak, eggs, nothing sugary) followed by a 24h fast. You can have your binge if you do the fasting too.

A side problem of long-term calorie counting is that your body will adapt and reduce metabolic rate and burn fewer calories. Binging+fasting is much better for fat loss than calorie counting.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/fasting-effective-calorie-counting

Recently, a second trial directly compared zero-calorie alternate-day fasting and daily caloric restriction in obese adults. The Caloric Reduction as Primary (CRaP) strategy was designed to subtract 400 calories per day from the estimated energy requirements of participants. The ADF group ate normally on eating days, but ate zero calories every other day. The study lasted 24 weeks.

What were the conclusions? First, the most important conclusion was that this was a safe and effective therapy that anybody could reasonably follow. In terms of weight lost, fasting did better, but only marginally. This is consistent with most studies, where, in the short term, any decent diet produces weight loss. However, the devil is in the details. The truncal fat loss, which reflects the more dangerous visceral fat, was almost twice as good with fasting as opposed to CRaP. In fat mass %, there is almost 6 times (!) the amount of loss of fat using fasting.

The though part is to keep doing it - losing weight for a week or two, or even a month sometimes may not be too hard, but trying to keep it going through life can be hard (it depends a lot on your character, and how you like your new diet, or how you loved what you had before).

numberwang said:
Ganoncrotch said:

For thousands of years, beginning with philosophers like Hippocrates, Socrates and Plato, fasting was recommended for health reasons. The Bible writes that Moses and Jesus fasted for 40 days for spiritual renewal.

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=16513299&t=1567463931844

Did you really cite the Bible as a fact for fasting being a good way to heal? Please take that books advice and don't eat for the next 40 days, I'll check back into this thread in a months time to see how you're getting on. You should be really spiritually renewed, and also obviously dead.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive