By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Let's talk Metroid ( New Poll Added: Samus goes to Hollywood? )

Where should Samus' adventures take her next?

Big budget Hollywood Film 5 29.41%

Big budget Animated Film 0 0%

Netflix/Hulu Movie 0 0%

Netflix/Hulu Series 3 17.65%

Netflix/Hulu Animated Movie 0 0%

Netflix/Hulu Animated Series 4 23.53%

YouTube Series, Movie, an... 0 0%

Broadway Play 1 5.88%

Other (Please Specify) 0 0%

No, no, no 4 23.53%

Total:17
super_etecoon said:
d21lewis said:

I've owned/beaten every Metriod aside from Federation Force and Pinball. I have to say that I really enjoyed Other M. I like it more than any first person Metroid, easily. If I had to make a list, the newer 2D games (Zero Mission, Fusion, Samus Returns, Super) would be first. Then, Other M. Then the Prime series. Older 2D games (Original, Return of Samus).

I think a lot of people hate Other M because they were told to hate it and never gave it a fair chance.

I wasn't told anything.  I was at E3 in the Nokia Center during the reveal.  It's one of my coolest memories ever.  I just loved seeing all the great story scenes unfolding, the young resolute Samus looking cool as hell, the end of Super Metroid in cinema form.  The gameplay looked amazing and I wasn't at all bothered by the auto aim or any of the controls.  And upon playing the game I pretty much felt the same happiness and joy.  But every time she said the word "baby" I cringed and when I realized that she was taking orders from some dude, even when her life depended upon using her arsenal to survive, I was upset. That's just terrible story writing, particularly for our glorious, baddass heroine.  I love Third Person Samus and shinesparking and really all of the gameplay.  But I do not like the narrative or the gimmick which kept her from using her items. And I think I'm not alone in that regard.

Now let's be fair: this is one of the most underbought and underplayed upper tier franchises Nintendo has.  And Other M is one of the least popular even of that subset. It's obvious upon its release that people weren't buying it.  I've never seen a Nintendo game drop to $5 ever, let alone in its first month on store shelves. Nintendo was scrambling to recoup the cost of the packaging and the disk.  So I'm sure some may bash it without ever having played it, but those who have played it have justifiable reasons for not wanting it to be canon and for not wanting to replay it, aside from the super fun mechanics and controls.

And for the record, I'm not trying to diminish your enjoyment of the title.  I'm just asking that you give Metroid fans a bit more credit than herd mentality when it comes to their enjoyment of a title.

I always saw it at my local Walmarts and YEARS later it was still $50. Pretty sure I'd seen it even as recently as 2 years ago for that price .  Always made me shake my head as I was not a fan of that title.  Loved all the others I have played but OtherM is certainly at the bottom of my list.

Edit, at $5 it could have made someone a fan of the series that wasn't before if they explored other games in the series.  At $50 it would have made me swear off all other entries If I hadn't been playing since the first game. 

Also I too was always rubbish at wall jumping, thank goodness I've always been extremely tenacious.

Around the Network

I saw this thread and was worried it was going to be some opinion piece about the state of Metroid, and rolled my eyes, but then I thought, "wait, what if they really are just talking about Metroid in there?" So I clicked. Lo and behold, y'all are just talking about Metroid in here. Sweet. That's exactly what I hoped this thread would be.

I was really hoping for a Prime Trilogy HD remaster on the Switch to be announced by now, would love to replay all 3 games with the Prime 3 control setup for the first 2 games and the Switch is the perfect console to port these titles to.

And since 8/16-bit retro style games are all the rage these days, I would love it if Nintendo graced us with a true 2D sequel to Super Metroid or even Metroid Fusion.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

You know what, all this talk about Other M makes me want to replay it again. Guess I'll just do that!

Even though I find it insanely stupid how the upgrades work in that game I still think it is a good game and highly underappreciated. Especially the boss fights were great, but also the exploration and the placement of the secrets. 

GoOnKid said:

You know what, all this talk about Other M makes me want to replay it again. Guess I'll just do that!

Even though I find it insanely stupid how the upgrades work in that game I still think it is a good game and highly underappreciated. Especially the boss fights were great, but also the exploration and the placement of the secrets. 

Apart from the fact that you had to go in First Person mode to use missiles.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
TruckOSaurus said:
GoOnKid said:

Well that's the way to go in Other M. I'd be very surprised if the game decided to skip this mechanic during boss fights.

GoOnKid said:
TruckOSaurus said:

Well that's the way to go in Other M. I'd be very surprised if the game decided to skip this mechanic during boss fights.

That's my point, that gameplay design decision was terrible and it makes boss fights less enjoyable for that reason.

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:
GoOnKid said:

That's my point, that gameplay design decision was terrible and it makes boss fights less enjoyable for that reason.

Okay I can see that this pointing thing can be annoying, especially during an intense and fast paced boss fight where quick reactions are necessary. But apart from that they were awesome for me. The best two are those against SPOILER and the SPOILER (sorry I don't know how to do spoiler tags when I use the phone :/ )

What is your favorite Samus Aran ability, weapon, upgrade, etc?

Da Morph Ball, of course. Can't get more iconic than that.