By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Let's talk Metroid ( New Poll Added: Samus goes to Hollywood? )

Where should Samus' adventures take her next?

Big budget Hollywood Film 5 29.41%

Big budget Animated Film 0 0%

Netflix/Hulu Movie 0 0%

Netflix/Hulu Series 3 17.65%

Netflix/Hulu Animated Movie 0 0%

Netflix/Hulu Animated Series 4 23.53%

YouTube Series, Movie, an... 0 0%

Broadway Play 1 5.88%

Other (Please Specify) 0 0%

No, no, no 4 23.53%

Total:17

Well I got that totally wrong. Zero mission came out 2 years later in 2004.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network

This reminds me I haven’t beaten Samus Returns on 3DS yet. Great remake, I just don’t have the time.

Obviously this is a great franchise, even if I’ve only beaten two of it’s games. Those two however, Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion, do have a solid spot in my top 50 all-time favorite list every year here on VGC. I’ve also played the original and the mentioned Samus Returns remake, but sadly not Metroid Prime. Maybe I should, to see what the fuss is about.

I had once played the original and a bit of Super on my aunt’s NES and SNES back then, when I was a kid, but I didn’t understand it at such a young age and it wasn’t as relatable as Zelda, so the series became lost to me for many years. It didn’t help that it skipped the N64, because that was the time when I began to understand the English language, and understand more complicated game designs. It was the era that shaped me, but Metroid missed it. GameCube and GameBoy Advance came and went, but I was turned off of console gaming for a while due to GameCube’s early disappointments, so again I missed out on Metroid. It wasn’t until the 3DS when I finally rediscovered the series. Nintendo released 20 old games as a thank you to early purchasers of the system, and the original and Metroid Fusion were part of them. I decided I should try Fusion. Not long into the game I was sold, such a brilliant game with great mechanics, level design and an amazing antagonist. I breezed through, wanting more when it was done, so I bought Super Metroid on WiiU Virtual Console, figuring I should seriously try the one game in the series I had actually played briefly when I was young. It, again, was amazing. Personally I liked the structured, more story driven approach of Fusion a bit better, but if Nintendo would make another game like Super I definitely wouldn’t be disappointed. Getting Samus Returns on 3DS after that was a no-brainer, and it also is great, but sadly it releasing at the end of the system’s generation means I barely play the 3DS anymore.

I haven’t played Prime, so I don’t know what to expect from Prime 4. I don’t if I should get it, or if I will like it. I remain interested though, obviously. There is a sad truth about all this, if I hadn’t given up on the 6th generation so soon, I might have played Metroid Fusion (and maybe even Zero Mission as well) as soon as back then, instead of not until it’s 3DS give-away re-release. And if that had happened, my perception of the 6th gen today, could have been a whole lot better.

I've owned/beaten every Metriod aside from Federation Force and Pinball. I have to say that I really enjoyed Other M. I like it more than any first person Metroid, easily. If I had to make a list, the newer 2D games (Zero Mission, Fusion, Samus Returns, Super) would be first. Then, Other M. Then the Prime series. Older 2D games (Original, Return of Samus).

I think a lot of people hate Other M because they were told to hate it and never gave it a fair chance.

Metroid Prime is one of my favorite games of all time. I wasn't into first person view games but people had so much positivity about it I just had to try it and I am so happy I did. It was so good I completed it three or four times! I loved 2 and 3 but never beat the final bosses in either :P

I hope a remastered trilogy comes out so I can finally complete it and move on to the 4th entry whenever that comes out. Guessing at the end of 2021 however I wouldn't mind them pushing it over to switch 2

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

d21lewis said:

I've owned/beaten every Metriod aside from Federation Force and Pinball. I have to say that I really enjoyed Other M. I like it more than any first person Metroid, easily. If I had to make a list, the newer 2D games (Zero Mission, Fusion, Samus Returns, Super) would be first. Then, Other M. Then the Prime series. Older 2D games (Original, Return of Samus).

I think a lot of people hate Other M because they were told to hate it and never gave it a fair chance.

I wasn't told anything.  I was at E3 in the Nokia Center during the reveal.  It's one of my coolest memories ever.  I just loved seeing all the great story scenes unfolding, the young resolute Samus looking cool as hell, the end of Super Metroid in cinema form.  The gameplay looked amazing and I wasn't at all bothered by the auto aim or any of the controls.  And upon playing the game I pretty much felt the same happiness and joy.  But every time she said the word "baby" I cringed and when I realized that she was taking orders from some dude, even when her life depended upon using her arsenal to survive, I was upset. That's just terrible story writing, particularly for our glorious, baddass heroine.  I love Third Person Samus and shinesparking and really all of the gameplay.  But I do not like the narrative or the gimmick which kept her from using her items. And I think I'm not alone in that regard.

Now let's be fair: this is one of the most underbought and underplayed upper tier franchises Nintendo has.  And Other M is one of the least popular even of that subset. It's obvious upon its release that people weren't buying it.  I've never seen a Nintendo game drop to $5 ever, let alone in its first month on store shelves. Nintendo was scrambling to recoup the cost of the packaging and the disk.  So I'm sure some may bash it without ever having played it, but those who have played it have justifiable reasons for not wanting it to be canon and for not wanting to replay it, aside from the super fun mechanics and controls.

And for the record, I'm not trying to diminish your enjoyment of the title.  I'm just asking that you give Metroid fans a bit more credit than herd mentality when it comes to their enjoyment of a title.

Around the Network
S.Peelman said:

This reminds me I haven’t beaten Samus Returns on 3DS yet. Great remake, I just don’t have the time.

Obviously this is a great franchise, even if I’ve only beaten two of it’s games. Those two however, Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion, do have a solid spot in my top 50 all-time favorite list every year here on VGC. I’ve also played the original and the mentioned Samus Returns remake, but sadly not Metroid Prime. Maybe I should, to see what the fuss is about.

I had once played the original and a bit of Super on my aunt’s NES and SNES back then, when I was a kid, but I didn’t understand it at such a young age and it wasn’t as relatable as Zelda, so the series became lost to me for many years. It didn’t help that it skipped the N64, because that was the time when I began to understand the English language, and understand more complicated game designs. It was the era that shaped me, but Metroid missed it. GameCube and GameBoy Advance came and went, but I was turned off of console gaming for a while due to GameCube’s early disappointments, so again I missed out on Metroid. It wasn’t until the 3DS when I finally rediscovered the series. Nintendo released 20 old games as a thank you to early purchasers of the system, and the original and Metroid Fusion were part of them. I decided I should try Fusion. Not long into the game I was sold, such a brilliant game with great mechanics, level design and an amazing antagonist. I breezed through, wanting more when it was done, so I bought Super Metroid on WiiU Virtual Console, figuring I should seriously try the one game in the series I had actually played briefly when I was young. It, again, was amazing. Personally I liked the structured, more story driven approach of Fusion a bit better, but if Nintendo would make another game like Super I definitely wouldn’t be disappointed. Getting Samus Returns on 3DS after that was a no-brainer, and it also is great, but sadly it releasing at the end of the system’s generation means I barely play the 3DS anymore.

I haven’t played Prime, so I don’t know what to expect from Prime 4. I don’t if I should get it, or if I will like it. I remain interested though, obviously. There is a sad truth about all this, if I hadn’t given up on the 6th generation so soon, I might have played Metroid Fusion (and maybe even Zero Mission as well) as soon as back then, instead of not until it’s 3DS give-away re-release. And if that had happened, my perception of the 6th gen today, could have been a whole lot better.

The original Metroid Prime is a first-person exploration adventure with shooting elements and the best in the Prime trilogy by just about anyone's accounting. It's also got those sorts of quality light story touches that Super Metroid has that help bring its world to life and give it some emotional weight. The Prime trilogy became more action-combat focused as it went along, and for that precise reason it's generally agreed that Metroid Prime 3: Corruption is the worst entry in that trilogy, though also widely agreed that it's still a strong game.

Anyway, I'm with you on Super Metroid completely. Especially in the current age of gaming where new games are released daily at this point, I find it hard not to be a little biased in favor of newer titles just mathematically, but even a quarter-century on, Super Metroid is still in I would say my top 25 all-time favorites. Not too many older games have earned that kind of staying power with me, but that's one that has. I furthermore can't imagine it ever being ousted from my top 50. It's probably there to stay forever.

Last edited by Jaicee - on 18 August 2019

mZuzek said:
For the record, I'm also very much against that mindset of "Other M has good gameplay, it's only the story the sucks". Everything about that game is awful, the controls more than anything.

Graphics were very good for a Wii game.

The gameplay wasn't terrible but it definetly didn't live up to the Metroid name.

mZuzek said:
S.Peelman said:

I’ve also played the original and the mentioned Samus Returns remake, but sadly not Metroid Prime. Maybe I should, to see what the fuss is about.

Please do.

Such a hassle though.

mZuzek said:
freebs2 said:

Graphics were very good for a Wii game.

Technically speaking, I guess, but the art style was hideous.

Uhm...I don't completely agree. World/level design was bland / uninspired, expecially when compared to Prime games.

I liked that general neon/colourfull look of the game though, in a certain way to me it feels more true to the 2D classics.

I don't get the hate other m is getting. Especially saying it looks bad. For a Wii game that was one of the top games.

I especially liked the fast combat. More inclined with the older 2d games. While I still love the prime trilogy it was to slow paced.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.