By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is it true only Diehards bought the Wii U?

Diehards did you buy the WII U?

Yes 27 55.10%

No 22 44.90%

Total:49

Let me put it this way; if I wasn't a hardcore Nintendo fan, if Nintendo was my side-chick the way Xbox is, I would've skipped Wii U like I skipped Xbox One.

Around the Network

I enjoyed the Wii U and its games, the industry and public perception of it didn't bother me in the slightest. I completed over 60 games on it and for a few years it was my primary console (until I got a PS4 for Arkham Knight). I still have a go occasionally and some of the software getting a new lease of life on the Switch shows Wii U had quality content that thankfully gets another chance for a bigger audience.

Not even diehards bought it, that was its biggest problem. I bought a used one to play Pikmin 3, but sold it, after buying no other games, a week after SM3DW came out (I bought it, played and returned that one). There was just absolutely no games worth playing. It's easily the worst console that Nintendo's ever put out. They're lucky the 3DS' game lineup was fantastic otherwise I might just have gone over to PS.

Last edited by RingoGaSuki - on 11 August 2019

Only bought it because it was easy to collect for... Otherwise the bulk of the games are available on other platforms like the Wii, Xbox 360, Playstation 3 and Switch... So it's kind of a pointless console on the games front.

Do I think only die hards purchased it? Nah.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

I don't consider myself a Nintendo die-hard, more like a PC die-hard. And that means, that for me, about 99% of the content on Playstation and Xbox are already available on my PC, and in pretty to boot.

So it all comes down to the exclusives for me. And while the exclusives of Sony ain't bad by a longshot, it's just that these games are not in the kind of genres that I like. And Microsoft had nothing at all that was in the least appealing to me - plus there was the chance that those games would come to PC anyway later on. Sony additionally has the problem for me that I never can remember where those damned buttons are - QTEs are the death of me, always.

This left me with Nintendo.. I buy a console for gameplay, not graphics (again, I got my PC for that). And while the Wii U had less games, it had more variation in it's games.
It's also telling that my 3 first Wii U titles (maybe more, not sure anymore when I bought my indies) were third person titles, not Nintendo games: Tekken Tag Team Tournament Two, Injustice: Gods Among US and Sonic and Sega Allstars Racing Transformed, the latter I bought with the console.

Sure, I could have bought those games on the other consoles, too. Or on PC, for that matter. But I don't use a controller on my PC (disqualifying beat'em ups on it) and I explained about my problems with the Sony controller (crucial in those games) and Xbox as a whole before. So, Wii U by default.

Btw, the reason why I went with a Wii over PS360 is pretty similar, too. Before the PS360, console games were more different to PC games, and as a result I had both a Gamecube and a PS2. And both N64 and PSOne, both SNES and Megadrive, both NES and Master System.

Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:
Sure, I could have bought those games on the other consoles, too. Or on PC, for that matter. But I don't use a controller on my PC (disqualifying beat'em ups on it) and I explained about my problems with the Sony controller (crucial in those games) and Xbox as a whole before. So, Wii U by default.

But why? You just have to plug in the controller of your choice (Xbox 360/One, DualShock, Nintendo Pro Controller...) and you have a lot more options to play PC games.

I had an Xbox 360 the gen before, only had Nintendo handhelds before I got a Wii U, so I wouldn't consider me a diehard.

Conina said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

But why? You just have to plug in the controller of your choice (Xbox 360/One, DualShock, Nintendo Pro Controller...) and you have a lot more options to play PC games.

I have lots of things connected to my PC, I'm running out of ports even with a hub. Besides, the controller I bought for the Switch also works with PC out of the box specifically because I could use it with my PC... but playing on the PC with a controller feels very awkward to me who is playing for 20 years now with mouse and Keyboard on them. Never really got at ease no matter what I tried, so I'm only using it for Switch multiplayer now.

Ive owned three nintendo consoles. A N64, a Wii U and a Switch. I bought a Wii U cos Zombi U really appealed to me and mainly to play Mario games with my boy who was around 5 when Wii U was out 2013, and i saw super mario 3d world advertised. So no not just "Diehards" who bought it.

It's true that only true Nintendo fans own a Wii U.

You may think that stupid, and it is, but let us poor suckers who bought a Wii U have something!