By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - does anyone still think that the 360 can win this console war?

ministaff said:
Legend11 said:
I think the 360 has already proven itself to be a great console with a lot of fantastic games which should be the measure of a console's success in my opinion. I mean the game library has come a long way since the Xbox 1 days. Who could have imagined it would have so many JRPGs? Did the original Xbox have even one?

As for future games I don't understand why people are putting down the 360's lineup, especially since it has a great list of upcoming games.

Here are just some of the games coming to the console:

Tales of Vesperia
Fable 2
Gears of War 2
Too Human
Banjo Kazooie 3
GTA IV
GTA IV: Episodes 1 and 2
Halo Wars
Halo Chronicles
Resident Evil 5
Ninja Gaiden 2
Soulcalibur IV
Left 4 Dead
Bioshock 2
Mass Effect 2
Saboteur
Silent Hill 5
Brutal Legend
Splinter Cell: Conviction
Fallout 3
Prototype
Mercenaries 2
Alpha Protocol
Cry On
Infinite Undiscovery
Aliens: Colonial Marines
Alan Wake
Saints Row 2
Dark Void
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
APB
Borderlands
Edge of Twilight
Tom Clancy's Endwar
Ghostbusters: The Video Game
The Last Remnant
And many many other third party games and unannounced exclusives. Anyways I'm sure anyone who actually buys the system will end up being very happy with their purchase in the long run.

i was talking about console sellers not any random game you can find on the internet. the only game there that is remotely going to MAYBE be a console seller is gears of war 2 but the only people who would buy that are people that enjoyed the first. if anyone bought the console for 1 game it was the first gears of war. as for your list of games, do you honestly think that all of those games are going to be system sellers, HONESTLY? some of those games i have never even heard of. APB, borderlands the last remnant, etc. and some of them come out for all 3 consoles so that shouldnt count either. next time you come out with another list of the 360's "greatest hits" try and be a little more accurate.

Tales of Vesperia is going to be a much bigger deal than people think.  People are crapping themselves over that game.  Fable 2 is a maybe.  Gears of War 2, Ninja Gaiden 2, Too Human, Mass Effect 2, Bioshock 2, anything to do with Halo, GTAIV DLC (Joystiq's poll results show that GTAIV will sell more copies due to the DLC), Alan Wake, etc.  His list is legit.  Most of any console's game library is multiplatform.  It's the exclusives that really make the difference, and the 360 still has plenty coming out.  The developer community is still backing the 360 100% as much as they are backing the PS3.  The fanboy war is irrelevant to them because they are making money on both systems, and they will continue to make money on both systems considering how many of them are out there.  

Around the Network

To answer such a basic question, people answering it first have to get all the context. And it's obvious a lot of people answering don't, even when they answer NO.
The signs, the evidences are right there since the start. But the cognitive dissonance is strong, and I see people dismissing the numerous XB360 problems with a hand movement, and then attributing the failure to causes outside of the range of responsability of MS. It's truely amazing to watch.
I read all kind of nonsense like PS3 sells on brand alone, japanese hate american companies, european hate MS, ...
People couldn't see the writing on the wall, as they're constantly dismissing evidences and whose fault it is. They will tell you XB360 is the best JRPG console, that shooters are not its main games, they will do listwars, they will tell you it has the best games, ...

How blind can one be?
Well, at least, as long as the people are so blind, they sure have no chance of foreseeing anything, and surely not if XB360 can win this console war or not.

I've seen truely mindboggling events in the XB360 world, and commented on some of them already:
- people overhyping games like never before. I've seen this mainly for JRPG. You'd think every time one is out, millions of XB360 owners are going to buy them. And USA would save the poor japanese sales (against any historical trend, especially for a heavily american oriented console). To then see them flop in NA. Seems like it goes on, with some people believing Tales of Vesperia is going to be a big deal...
- people saying the console is not mainly a shooter console, when its best sales and biggest games are all shooters! Shooters being heavily western games as most come from the PC on Windows under DirectX.
- people downplaying the RRoD. Really... It was actually eye opening to me, that in USA people coped with such abysmal things as unreliable consumer products. I thought everywhere in the world, people were going for the reliable things.

I understood since early 2007 that XB360 fans were blind. Since then, I just watch in disbelief at all the nonsense they can put out, and this thread is another one.
At least, in this thread, I see some are starting to open their eyes, but they're still not there yet. They sure have no chance to counter Nintendo strategy (in order to win) if they can't even see their own flaws.

Question:
Can the Xbox360 still win the console war in total sales this generation?

Answer:
No.

If you truly require an explanation then you haven't been paying attention for the previous 17 months.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

The Wii will win easily because its the cheapest console, appeals more to casuals and has the most games that appeal to kids. PS3 will just edge out 360 this generation. Both PS3 and 360 will both sell over the 45 million consoles each.

The 360 will get a good thrashing for the next 2 years, if not the rest of the generation. Hardware and software wise.

Around the Network
Gnizmo said:
endimion said:

well 2,5 years in a trend is a really short time regarding the customer profile... I don't belive in the long gone idea... it might be more likely to stay like that.. but it's far for being proved to be a long lasting thing... we are not talking about MP3 players like Ipods here.... how many parents who bought that won't care about it soon... now how many parents that have those HD TV will buy a PS3 for the BR at least if not HD gaming (because if they don't have a HD console they can't really say/know if they care about better looking games (it's not better graphics by the way ;) ).... or buy a 360 because their kids ask for a console and the HD one is the same price than the Wii and can play their DVD....

what i'm saying it's not that Wii won't win.. I do believe the trend is strong enough.... but could be totally false too... we are not talking about something like MP3 players once again....

and when I said a boom in HD I was thinking more about BR gaining on the DVD market...

in short people still saying Wii is a fade after 2,5 year in the generation can still be right..... being consitent that long is a very good adventage but far from enough on that market...

PS where do you ge free nielsen study on the market I'm really interested... :)

The Nielson data was published some time ago. 6 months or more I would guess, and it was fairly shocking for me as well honestly. I grabbed it through the normal game news channels. I could try to dig it up for you but it would probably be pretty hard right now.

I also cannot fathom why you assume the Wii will be bought as a gift for children and then forgotten, but a PS3 or 360 bought as a gift for children will be long lasting. Kids are fucking expensive. So far as I have seen they are more expensive than what anyone who is not a parent would expect. You don't buy them a $250 toy and then spend extra on games and controllers for them to forget about. More so, kids are fickle. They don't want a games system. They don't want an action figure or a hamburger or anything generic like that. They want *that* hamburger or toy or game system. Being the same price is not enough. There has to be the same demand as well, and currently thats not the case. Going forward the Wii is easily the system in the best position to price drop insuring it can always be the cheapest if that is needed.

I don't think the blu-ray victory (supposing it holds out which is looking good) will push the PS3 in a massive way. The PS3 is a game console first and will always have a certain stigma attached to it as a result. Further, a basic blu-ray player that is much cheaper than the PS3 will come out as soon as a decent market for it is shown.

I find it funny though that you use DVD playing capabilities in the same post you use blu-ray as reasons the PS3/360 could over take the Wii. I am not trying to critisize really, but it seemed intersting enough for me to point out.

no no I was saying a lot of adults/ parents/ kidults buy the Wii for them..... not their kids....once it's total speculation... what I was saying the trend is that people bought that for their kids... then they liked it too... played with friends... those friend bought it for them etc.... what I'm saying is if a good chunk of the actual buyers are those profile.... the sales have still a great potential to drop... especially if the ealy buyers have their Wii taking dust...

I was saying if the parents with kids who don't have any new console yet.... have their kids asking for new one.... until now if they are low on money or don't see why the kid should have the expensive one (he was naughty lol) they bought a Wii but... if the price of XB drops to the one of Wii and has HD gaming fiting their new HD tv reading their DVDs etc... I can see them going for the HD one for the kid....

this kind of scenario is probably unlikely but that early in the generation it is still too early to think its entirely over... that's what I'm thinking...

so if the Wii slows down the two other regain momentum because they fight each other... you could see an end of generation being close between all three console.... the real question is how long will the Wii stay more attractive to the customer than the 2 other ones... and that could change over the 2 years to come.... when all three console will have a low price....

well anyway we'll... that gen is very interesting and could be surprising on several level still now...

on the final statement it is because I don't believe the BR format can take over the DVD this gen and probably won't take if something new arrives before it really takes an important market share to the DVD format... but that's just a feeling.... it's way too early in the HD business to say and it depends if the other format out there are ready for sale to mass market soon or even suitable for that kind of market... because if people don't know there is already way better than BR out there... 

Auron said:
@legend endimion, and the mann,

you xbots need to read what i said nowhere in my post did i say anything positive about the ps3, i think the ps3 is worse than the 360 and yet it is outselling it which makes the 360 look even worse. but tell yourself what you want to justify buying your failed rrod machine.

lol first you must an utter morron to call me an Xbot but things happen..... then if you can make RRoD my XB I'll give you 50 bucks no question asked, i have been waiting for one the past é years and half..... now tell me how it is a failure ??? because if you say that justify your statement or it's worthless..... i can as easily say Wii is a failure just because i think it is with no justification.... (i don't think that though)  XB had a massive hardware failure but it's still second by several millions and selling 150k week.... about to turn a profit for the 3rd quarter in row...boomed in market shares compare to last gen, built a stronger brand equity.... developing an online service like no console has done before and none this generation can dream to equal... 

now the PS 3 is trailing behind not turning profits not selling games for a while doesn't have a strong third party support.... and is just living on brand equity.... now even if they finish second you tell me who is the failure ???  especially when it's sony coming with their 3rd console just after having crushed all competition with the PS 2.....

but sure if you think being first is the only way to not be a failure you right... but let me tell you it's not the way you do business.... even if XB ends up third.. it could be less a failure business wise than the PS 3..... but hell it's a free think what you want.. but it's laughable....   

Kasz216 said:
Sure it could. It's not likely... but it could.

However i would argue the 360 was never supposed to win. Microsoft is just trying to improve each year, and prevent Sony from having a monopoly like they did with the PS2.

Possibly getting their own monopoly around the time set top entertainment downloading is mass market so they can have claim to a market they believe is rightfully theirs...

The Media PC for your living room.

Sony never had a monopoly with the PS2.

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org

just to get things clear.. I never said the XB would be 1st I just said that the market could still radically change.... and leave the first seat open for anyone... either Wii PS 3 or XB 360.... but my personal prediction is still Wii first and PS 3 and XB really close second... and in terms of profit... Wii>360>PS 3 whoever has the second place....

Auron said:
@legend endimion, and the mann,

you xbots need to read what i said nowhere in my post did i say anything positive about the ps3, i think the ps3 is worse than the 360 and yet it is outselling it which makes the 360 look even worse. but tell yourself what you want to justify buying your failed rrod machine.

The 360 has a massive hardware problem? correct. I can spin you arguement right back at you, a machine with a high failure rate such as 360's should have been doomed from the start but how many months did it outsell the ps3 for? Many months, so how does that make the ps3 look?

08' Year End Predictions

Wii: 46 Million
Xbox 360:
26 Million

PS3: 22 Million

Sale Predictions:

Gears Of War 2 - 7 Million
Fable 2 - 3 Million
Left 4 Dead - 1.5 Million
Infinite Undiscovery - 700k
Tales Of Vesperia - 550k
The Last Remnant - 700k