By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario Maker 2 ships 2.42 million in its first 3 days

Very impressive. 10 million lifetime is a lock, but I would say 15 million is as well. 20 million isn't even too out of the question.

For what problems I have with the game, it's still a great game. Even for people that just about never make levels like me, there's enough to enjoy.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
curl-6 said:

I don't know how much you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert) but modesty is a huge part of it.

Accuracy wouldn't hurt either.

2.42m is the shipment number, so you may want to edit the thread title to reflect that.

I couldn't find a definitive answer on whether it was shipped or sold to consumers; the gaming news sites all say "sold" but then they always do, the source links back to a Nintendo financial document which also just says "sold".

Not my cup of tea, but kudos to Nintendo.

Yep, Rol is right on this one. Nintendo reports shipments. It's why there's such a huge disparity between what Famitsu reported for Japan - 196,000 - and what Nintendo reported - 520,000. They didn't do 325,000 downloads, so much of the difference is the 40-60% of the initial shipment that was still on store shelves.

Jranation said:
Another 10mil seller is on its way!

Exactly what I was thinking entering thread.  At this rate Luigi's Mansion might become a 10m seller. 

Around the Network

What did the first game ship in a similar time period?

Well deserved, however sadly I haven't really got into the game yet. Summer is not the time for making levels. But I have been using the included subscription for a quick round of tetris 99 in the evening.

jason1637 said:
What did the first game ship in a similar time period?

Best answer I can give is 1.88 million in the first 21 days - release date was September 10, 2015 and quarter end was September 30.

Great start, how does it compare with the first?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Great start, how does it compare with the first?

As per the post above you, Mario Maker 1 shipped 1.88 million in it's first 21 days. Impressive for a game releasing on a (practically) dead system, but clearly MM2 being on a thriving platform has helped it do much better.