By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Director's/Extended Cuts that massively improved a film?

Alexander.

Hot take: a few exceptions aside, most of the extended cut scenes in LOTR are garbage and the theatrical cuts are vastly superior.

Around the Network

Sucker punch!
If not for all the other cuts but literally for the 2 minutes of additional content at the end of the film. Changes the entire movie and actually made it make sense lol. Dumbest cut ever. Should have just taken the R rating instead of going for the PG-13...

I also think Terminator 2 and die hard extended cuts are both beneficial to the story for being rather short a minute or two

Hands down though Aliens directors cut is the best adds like 17 minutes of important action and character development.

Alien 3 is a huge change as well as previously mentioned. I still don’t like it but 30 minutes does change a movie quite a bit haha.

Kingdom of heaven directors cut was awesome. The theatrical release was pretty bland, can’t even watch it anymore. No movie has improved more from a directors cut then kingdom of heaven!

I agree with all the above. I'd add Troy as well adding almost half an hour of extra relevant material. Hateful eight on Netflix also seems like an improvement but not substantial

Stories unfolded with my home made rap songs. Feel free to listen here with lyrics: https://youtu.be/vyT9PbK5_T0

Machina said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
Blade Runner for sure. The difference between the theatrical and director’s cuts is night and day.

I’m in the minority that prefers the theatrical versions of LOTR.

Da fuck you say? How can you prefer fewer Saruman scenes, and no Mouth of Sauron?!

Closure for Saruman/Grima and Faramir/Eowyn were good, but the Mouth of Sauron scene is just horrible. Completely out of character for Aragorn.

Around the Network

Batman Vs Superman is one of these for sure.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

I've only seen the extended versions of the LOTR movies. I can't imagine them being any shorter.

Bladerunner
Cinema Paradisio
Touch of Evil
Seven Samurai

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

ArchangelMadzz said:
Batman Vs Superman is one of these for sure.

The Ultimate Edition WAS better, but let's not act like it didn't still have a ton of problems.

Some things are just beyond redemption.

gergroy said:
Kingdom of heaven directors cut was awesome. The theatrical release was pretty bland, can’t even watch it anymore. No movie has improved more from a directors cut then kingdom of heaven!

This is absolutely the one. The whole damn genre practically changes with the extended version.

Seems to be the case with multiple Ridley Scott films, since Blade Runner is even more famous of a "Director's Cut is better" film.

Lord of the Rings, particularly the Two Towers and Return of the King, are not only improved with the information they give in the extended versions, but manage to improve the pacing of the films.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

SpokenTruth said:
The Abyss. It absolutely made it a different movie. The purpose of the NTIs is completely altered and they aren't as benevolent as seen in the theatrical release.

I actually like the theatrical version better because it keeps you underwater with the main characters for the whole movie. The scenes of what happens up top do add some nice context, yet also take you out of the claustrophobic underwater mindset.

Lotr extended cut is still not long enough for me! Still missing parts!