By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Rumor: Sony lining up a bid to acquire Remedy.

"Best known for Max Payne but more popular in recent years for its work on Xbox exclusives like Quantum Break, Finnish developer Remedy has since broken away from Microsoft, bringing its next project Control to multiple platforms, including the PS4. Curiously, Worldwide Studios president Shuhei Yoshida visited the studio recently, while it’s been touring various first-party outfits like Naughty Dog. We’ve also heard from a number of sources that Sony is lining up a bid, although the company’s recent reacquisition of the Alan Wake brand casts some doubt on that speculation."

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2019/07/feature_which_studios_could_sony_realistically_acquire

Would be a nice buy for Sony but Remedy is known for being really slow devs.

Around the Network

They would be a good fit with Sony or Microsoft as a first party developer. They make some amazing games, especially Alan wake.

To each their own, that does absolutely nothing for me. I don't like those types of games.

Buying a public company like Remedy won't be easy and probably wouldn't go uncontested but if Sony make any sort of move we will know right away.

In my opinion Sony shouldn't focus on acquiring new studios, but instead well established - marketable - dormant IPs. Sony can always outsource its projects, much like they did with Spider-Man. Also, Sony acquiring Remedy wouldn't create the same level of buzz, like them acquiring Metal Gear Solid or Silent Hill.

If I was the head of acquisitions at Sony Playstation, then I would look at some of Konami's dormant IPs. By dormant I mean in the console/PC space. 

KONAMI

• 1st tier
    • Castlevania
    • Metal Gear Solid
    • Silent Hill
  • 2nd tier
    • Zone of the Enders
    • Suikoden

Can you imagine

• Kojima Productions
    • Silent Hill (P.T.)
  • Ready at Dawn
    • Castlevania (soft-reboot)
  • Bluepoint Games
    • Metal Gear Solid (remake)
Last edited by LordLichtenstein - on 03 July 2019

Around the Network

And then, “their games were never truly good anyway so who cares”...

To be honest, I'd prefer that Sony continued to only buy studios that are already practically first party. Third party games and DLC should keep coming to all platforms simultaneously. Many users last gen were interested in Alan Wake and sad to discover it was exclusive. If this rumor is true, we'll again have a bunch of users not able to access Remedy games.

With that said, Alan Wake is one of the best games I played on my 360 and I'd love a true sequel. Hopefully, a 3rd party publisher is willing to fund it.

gergroy said:
They would be a good fit with Sony or Microsoft as a first party developer. They make some amazing games, especially Alan wake.

Microsoft released the Alan Wake IP to them resently.

Imagine if Sony buys Remedy and then makes Alan Wake II, a console exclusive.

RolStoppable said:
Meh... hard to care about this when Remedy hasn't made an actually good game in a long time.

This is pretty much how I feel. I loved Alan wake but after that..nothing. Quantum Break seemed like a good game but when I played it, it wasn't that good. The movementcombat felt clunky and weird I didn't like it. Everything else about the game was great but when something like combatmovement isn't done well it ruins the whole experience.

Would probably be a decent move for Sony, but on my part, I really hope this is not going to happen. I prefer my games on PC, and Sony doesn't exactly have a good record of bringing its games to PC. That said, perhaps Remedy could have a word in that matter, since PC seems to be important to Remedy.