By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Christopher Nolan's spy action-thriller Tenet has a reported budget of $225 mil

He is yet to make a bad film so I guess the trust studios have in him is gigantic, his worst film - whichever it is to you - is still good.
Still, 225m is too much, this film is gonna have to make around 500m and the casting lacks star power imo, at least commercially speaking. Michael Caine, and Kenneth Branagh are fantastic but not exactly money-drawers. Good cast tho, I love Elizabeth Debicki.

Around the Network
KManX89 said:
super_etecoon said:
Nolan has a way of turning all subjects he touches into interesting, beautiful masterpieces. That's a crazy, budget, though.

No kidding. Interstellar made $677 mil worldwide on a $165 mil budget. On a $225 mil budget, that would range from "just" in the green (barely profitable) to actually resulting in a loss for the studio. 

Plus video sales (DVDs + Blu-Rays), plus video rentals (DVDs + Blu-Rays), plus TV revenue, plus streaming revenue...

KManX89 said:
super_etecoon said:
Nolan has a way of turning all subjects he touches into interesting, beautiful masterpieces. That's a crazy, budget, though.

No kidding. Interstellar made $677 mil worldwide on a $165 mil budget. On a $225 mil budget, that would range from "just" in the green (barely profitable) to actually resulting in a loss for the studio. 

Not saying he isn't capable of making a decent profit on a $225 mil original film that wows audiences because he most certainly is (it's Chris fucking Nolan), but that's a pretty tall order. On that note, he better have another Inception-level hit on his hands. It needs at least $600 mil just to break even (marketing budget and other expenses would bump its total costs to over $300 mil, plus theater take).

Lol, why are you talking as if his career is going to be in trouble if the movie doesn't end up bringing a profit? Christopher Nolan is of such caliber that he doesn't need to do anything anymore. Even Denis Villeneuve, a similar talent but a much smaller name in Hollywood compared to Nolan, received a big project such as Dune after Blade Runner 2049 failed to meet expectations.

Nolan's name is worth more than any A-list actor. Even if the unthinkable happens and the movie only grosses half of what it costs, what's $100m really?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Mordred11 said:

Even Denis Villeneuve, a similar talent but a much smaller name in Hollywood compared to Nolan, received a big project such as Dune after Blade Runner 2049 failed to meet expectations.

Damn, I'm so hyped for Dune. Denis Villeneuve is my favorite director followed by David Fincher.

Around the Network
Replicant said:
Mordred11 said:

Even Denis Villeneuve, a similar talent but a much smaller name in Hollywood compared to Nolan, received a big project such as Dune after Blade Runner 2049 failed to meet expectations.

Damn, I'm so hyped for Dune. Denis Villeneuve is my favorite director followed by David Fincher.

So hyped!  I'll be honest, I'm not that familiar with Villeneuve. I've seen Sicario and Arrival, but that's about it.  Interestingly enough, a trip to his page revealed that he's also directing a pilot for a Dune TV series called Dune: The Sisterhood, obviously referring to the Bene Gesserits.  I guess it's good to have both in the works.  I just really hope that they hit the landing on the film.  I love Lynch's version for its tone and set design, but the story it ultimately tells does a disservice to the novel.  Of course, it's still miles and miles better than the TV mini series they made on the SciFi channel.

super_etecoon said:
JRPGfan said:

His batman movies were fine.
His "master peices" are probably memento + intersteller + dunkirk.
Another high point is Inception.

His "only" really bad movie imo, is that new Superman film (man of steel).

Hes able to make intresting stuff though.
Hopefully hes not doing another "man of steel" level movie.

Man of Steel was directed by Zack Snyder.  Nolan only provided story (didn't write it) and produced it.  I never hold filmmakers responsible for their producing credits.  They really don't get to make a lot of the major decisions, especially if they're just one of several producers, as was the case with that film.  

Yeah, I don't see any of his films ever reaching that kind of terribleness.

Not saying they have a lot of influence, but the Silent Hill live-action movies have a lot of the same producers from the Paul W.S. Anderson Resident Evil movies and look eerily similar in many ways. I know it's the outlier, but those films had noticeable producer influences.

Jpcc86 said:
He is yet to make a bad film so I guess the trust studios have in him is gigantic, his worst film - whichever it is to you - is still good.
Still, 225m is too much, this film is gonna have to make around 500m and the casting lacks star power imo, at least commercially speaking. Michael Caine, and Kenneth Branagh are fantastic but not exactly money-drawers. Good cast tho, I love Elizabeth Debicki.

More than that. It needs $600 mil or more just to break even.

spurgeonryan said:

Can't day I liked Dunkirk at all.

Can't day I'm surprised.

That's a nice chunk of change. Going to need $450M to break even on the budget alone. Probably $600M-$650M when factoring in advertising budget.