By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Christopher Nolan's spy action-thriller Tenet has a reported budget of $225 mil

SOURCE.

A $225 mil production budget on a completely original concept with no A-listers? It better be something truly ground-breaking then.

And of course a Nolan film stars the Batman himself (Robert Pattinson). Which BTW, he read the script and says it's epic, so maybe, just maybe, it's worth the risk?

Around the Network

Nolan has never made a rotten bad movie. His worst movie in my opinion was TDKR and still very good movie.

Nolan's a big name. Even I have heard of him.

Wow...I really, really enjoyed Dunkirk, and I'm not even into war movies. Nolan has a way of turning all subjects he touches into interesting, beautiful masterpieces. That's a crazy, budget, though. But Dunkirk had a budget around 150 million and grossed $527 million worldwide, so there's definitely some precedence here.

Anyone care to pick their favorite Nolan movie in this thread? There are so many great ones...but I might have to go with Inception. The Prestige and Dark Knight are up there as well...and Interstellar is a beautiful thing. And who could forget the insanely crazy Memento that really kicked his career into high gear. It's amazing that Batman Begins was his next major project, at a time when great directors weren't making comic book movies. He certainly helped herald in a golden age of superhero movies.

Interstellar.. I can watch that movie anytime... seen it atleast 10 times.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Around the Network
super_etecoon said:
Nolan has a way of turning all subjects he touches into interesting, beautiful masterpieces. That's a crazy, budget, though.

No kidding. Interstellar made $677 mil worldwide on a $165 mil budget. On a $225 mil budget, that would range from "just" in the green (barely profitable) to actually resulting in a loss for the studio. 

Not saying he isn't capable of making a decent profit on a $225 mil original film that wows audiences because he most certainly is (it's Chris fucking Nolan), but that's a pretty tall order. On that note, he better have another Inception-level hit on his hands. It needs at least $600 mil just to break even (marketing budget and other expenses would bump its total costs to over $300 mil, plus theater take).

KManX89 said:
super_etecoon said:
Nolan has a way of turning all subjects he touches into interesting, beautiful masterpieces. That's a crazy, budget, though.

No kidding. Interstellar made $677 mil worldwide on a $165 mil budget. On a $225 mil budget, that would range from "just" in the green (barely profitable) to actually resulting in a loss for the studio. 

Not saying he isn't capable of making a decent profit on a $225 mil original film that wows audiences because he most certainly is (it's Chris fucking Nolan), but that's a pretty tall order. On that note, he better have another Inception-level hit on his hands. It needs at least $600 mil just to break even (marketing budget and other expenses would bump its total costs to over $300 mil, plus theater take).

Yeah, I guess I forget all those other residual costs.  On the other hand, I think that staying in the green still employs a ton of people who are well respected in the industry.  Not all movies have to result in exponential sales figures to continue justifying their budget.  As it stands Nolan is nothing other than consistently profitable and each of his films are top notch films that crew and cast are proud and honored to work on. 

But yes, I would love, love to see Nolan tackle another mind bending project like Inception or Memento.  And by the way, for those who happen to venture over to IMDB and see that he is remaking that classic, fear not.  Some other studio actually just owns the rights to Memento and he doesn't haven anything to do with its production.  His name is attached because he wrote the film (along with his brother Jonathan, who actually came up with the concept). More than likely I can see the remake (or reimagining) not even seeing the light of day.

His batman movies were fine.
His "master peices" are probably memento + intersteller + dunkirk.
Another high point is Inception.

His "only" really bad movie imo, is that new Superman film (man of steel).

Hes able to make intresting stuff though.
Hopefully hes not doing another "man of steel" level movie.

I rather watch him do some non super-hero type movies tbh.
Dont waste his tallent on super hero crap.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 01 July 2019

super_etecoon said:
Anyone care to pick their favorite Nolan movie in this thread? There are so many great ones...but I might have to go with Inception. The Prestige and Dark Knight are up there as well...and Interstellar is a beautiful thing. And who could forget the insanely crazy Memento that really kicked his career into high gear.

Probably Interstellar, though I enjoyed Memento as well.
Inception was abit trippy but it wasnt as enjoyable for me.

JRPGfan said:

His batman movies were fine.
His "master peices" are probably memento + intersteller + dunkirk.
Another high point is Inception.

His "only" really bad movie imo, is that new Superman film (man of steel).

Hes able to make intresting stuff though.
Hopefully hes not doing another "man of steel" level movie.

Man of Steel was directed by Zack Snyder.  Nolan only provided story (didn't write it) and produced it.  I never hold filmmakers responsible for their producing credits.  They really don't get to make a lot of the major decisions, especially if they're just one of several producers, as was the case with that film.  

Yeah, I don't see any of his films ever reaching that kind of terribleness.