By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why did Pokemon even jump to 3D?

If going back to 2D pokemon games would guarantee the National Dex, would you be fine with it?

Yes, the artstyle is neve... 14 34.15%

No, Pokemon needs to adva... 27 65.85%

Total:41

I'll day 1 Sword. Never played Pokemon. This will be my first.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
p0isonparadise said:

Ah, so they have no one to blame but themselves. They must be the same people who bitch about Nintendo's Online service yet still pay for it. Worms for brains.

Vote with your wallet, folks. 

The reality is just that most people don't care. I personally am not okay will all of this, so I'm not buying the game - though to be fair, I haven't bought a Pokémon game since 2014, they've gotten so much worse.

I thought you didn't like Sun/Moon? You borrowed a copy?

mZuzek said:
p0isonparadise said:

I thought you didn't like Sun/Moon? You borrowed a copy?

I last bought Omega Ruby and hated it, so i sold it. Pokémon Sun, I wasn't gonna buy it in the first place and didn't plan on playing it, but decided to give it a shot through piracy and would then buy it if I was positively surprised, which I wasn't.

Gotcha. Sun/Moon are my second least favorite in the series, first being Ruby/Sapphire. I just don't really enjoy tropical locations in games.

Chrkeller said:

I would recommend you try them before, even if you plan to buy Sword/Shield. Pretty much all games are playable through emulation now, so it's not a problem. If I could recommend you a game, start with the GBA Pokemon games and go up, they are a great contact point for the series. Also, if you ever want to go for Diamond/Pearl, disregard them and go for Platinum instead. It's the same game, but with much better performance and many little issues fixed.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

mZuzek said:
Chrkeller said:

I am so sorry.

Why?  Because it looks like a good game?  I don't portable game and I am happy to see a console Pokemon game.  

Around the Network
Darwinianevolution said:
Jumpin said:

You’re making a couple of big assumptions here.

1. You’re making the assumption that 2D has more flexibility and is easier than 3D. On top of this, you’re making the assumption that 3D artists and modellers can do 2D art easier. That 2D animation is easier.

2. The assumption that a 2D world offers more possibilities than a 3D world.

2. The assumption that the resources being used to make the game Town would also have the skill sets required to build this “national dex” thing.

While I agree that I may have overestimate the power difference between 2D and 3D design, I'm also using it because, at least in my eyes, the problems with the series began in earnest with the jump to 3D. And while correlation is not causation, I wanted to explore this line of thinking. Most of the games GF have been 2D, so it would not be difficult to assume they would have more difficulties realizing their vision on 3D rather than the tried and tested 2D. And I also wanted to know whether people would accept a complete game on 2D rather than one with missing features on 3D.

Regardless of 2D or 3D, this lack of features cannot, and should not, be just merrily accepted. This is just going to get worse and worse if we don't make a clear stance against it.

Also, no shit the resources for Town would be better used on Pokemon. Even if they didn't fix the National Dex, there's also things like Triple/Rotational battles, Mega Evolutions, Z moves... And all of the fan requested features that probably won't come such as the Battle Frontier, Contests, multiple regions... If the people in charge of Town can't do none of this things, I wouldn't trust them with Town as a decent RPG either.

I was only pointing out that the dev team for Town is not synonymous with the skillset required for the National Dex. What you are saying above is an entirely new argument, a bit of a red herring.

It seems like what you're actually trying to say is that Gamefreak should not make other games (Town in this case) because they take resources away from knocking adding in items from an endless list of fan-requested features that could be in Pokemon games. In other words, you want Gamefreak to only ever churn out Pokemon games.

I don't have much of an opinion on that. Other than it's a bit sad that we can't see what other games they want to make. I don't even know what you mean by "Contests" and "Battle Frontier" but Multiple regions (as in numerous game worlds?) alone sounds like a very tall order. Maybe Town won't be a decent RPG in your book. 

Last edited by Jumpin - on 01 July 2019

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

It may end up not being the best in the series, while still being a good game.  Either way, I can't see going back to GBA from a graphical perspective.  

Jumpin said:
Darwinianevolution said:

While I agree that I may have overestimate the power difference between 2D and 3D design, I'm also using it because, at least in my eyes, the problems with the series began in earnest with the jump to 3D. And while correlation is not causation, I wanted to explore this line of thinking. Most of the games GF have been 2D, so it would not be difficult to assume they would have more difficulties realizing their vision on 3D rather than the tried and tested 2D. And I also wanted to know whether people would accept a complete game on 2D rather than one with missing features on 3D.

Regardless of 2D or 3D, this lack of features cannot, and should not, be just merrily accepted. This is just going to get worse and worse if we don't make a clear stance against it.

Also, no shit the resources for Town would be better used on Pokemon. Even if they didn't fix the National Dex, there's also things like Triple/Rotational battles, Mega Evolutions, Z moves... And all of the fan requested features that probably won't come such as the Battle Frontier, Contests, multiple regions... If the people in charge of Town can't do none of this things, I wouldn't trust them with Town as a decent RPG either.

I was only pointing out that the dev team for Town is not synonymous with the skillset required for the National Dex. What you are saying above is an entirely new argument, a bit of a red herring.

It seems like what you're actually trying to say is that Gamefreak should not make other games (Town in this case) because they take resources away from knocking adding in items from an endless list of fan-requested features that could be in Pokemon games. In other words, you want Gamefreak to only ever churn out Pokemon games.

I don't have much of an opinion on that. Other than it's a bit sad that we can't see what other games they want to make. I don't even know what you mean by "Contests" and "Battle Frontier" but Multiple regions (as in numerous game worlds?) alone sounds like a very tall order. Maybe Town won't be a decent RPG in your book. 

The thing is, I don't hate town. For all we know, it might be the best game ever, it might be the worst, we don't know. But in regards to the state of Pokemon development, they have been diverting resources from Sword/Shield from years now (USUM and Let's Go), and now they want another high profile game, this time a non-pokemon one. If Town turns out to be bad, it will be the proof of GF overstretching beyond their capabilities, and if it's good, people are going to invariably (and justifyingly so) ask where that dedication was on the Pokemon game. Unless Town becomes a Splatoont-like success, it's a lose/lose situation for them, which could've been avoided by either having a better organization or a bigger team.

Also, it might just be me, but the first thought that came to mind when Town was announced was that it was a trial run for things like the engine, artstyle and mechanics for the next Pokemon, which is not the case since they have different people working on each one (under the same studio, but still). I can't avoid being somewhat dissapointed in the difference of the presentation. Town looks way better than Sword Shield...

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Nothing sad about it.  Time is limited, I can't play everything, so one must choose.  The Switch has Fire Emblem, Pokemon and Luigi's Mansion 3 this year.  Add in ps4 titles and my schedule is quite full.  Far too full to pick up additional hardware I don't even own, especially when it would restrict me to playing on a 4 inch screen in stereo.  I'll stick with my 65 inch HD and 5.1 surround.  But thanks for the concern.  

Don't get me wrong, you are disappointed with Pokemon, but I simply am not.  I think it looks like a good experience.  At the very least I will wait till release, before condemning the game.  

And see, I was thinking the saddest part is somebody who has already made their mind up on games that haven't even released yet. But hey, that is me. I believe in waiting till games are released before making a judgement.