By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - All Time E3 Thread

Hello, I enjoy, like many of you, voting on who I thought won each E3. I also think it would be fun to have an ongoing leaderboard thread for E3’s. To that end, I’m going to be updating this thread regularly by having votes on various E3’s from the past leading up to the present. These will be focused on software achievements by developers (or owners of said developers) outlying games shown by each company. If you’d like to vote that would be great! I will plan on changing out which E3 we are voting on every so often after enough people have voted.

I’ll be including every major presenter, not just the big three. For simplicity and speed, I will be using other resources, such as WIKI, in order to list off things that were shown/unveiled/announced. Also, since the poll limits me to 10 choices, I will have to cut out some presentations. I will try to focus on studios that announced games that were less significant, historically, or on systems that were short-lived.

This is the main hub/thread for tracking total results. For individual year's results, click the links below:

E3 1996 Thread
E3 1997 Thread
E3 1998 Thread
E3 1999 Thread
E3 2000 Thread
E3 2001 Thread
E3 2002 Thread

Last edited by Dulfite - on 28 June 2021

Around the Network

E3 All-Time Leaderboard (through 2001)

Last edited by Dulfite - on 21 June 2021

Who won E3 1995?

Acclaim Entertainment 0 0.00%

Atari Corporation 0 0.00%

Capcom 1 3.85%

Crystal Dynamics 0 0.00%

EA 0 0.00%

Nintendo 5 19.23%

SEGA 1 3.85%

Sony 17 65.38%

Square 2 7.69%

Williams Electronics 0 0.00%

Total: 26

Who won E3 1996?

Nintendo 24 54.55%

SEGA 3 6.82%

Sony 17 38.64%

Microsoft 0 0%

Total: 44

Who won E3 1997?

Square 6 20.69%

Capcom 0 0%

Nintendo 7 24.14%

Konami 1 3.45%

Rare 11 37.93%

Lucas Art 0 0%

Bethesda 0 0%

Valve 1 3.45%

SEGA 0 0%

Sony 3 10.34%

Total: 29

Who won E3 1998?

SEGA 3 7.89%

RARE 0 0%

Sony 6 15.79%

Nintendo 25 65.79%

Konami 1 2.63%

Square 1 2.63%

Namco 0 0%

Capcom 0 0%

Valve 2 5.26%

Crystal Dynamics 0 0%

Total: 38

Who won E3 1999?

SNK 0 0%

Bandai Namco Entertainment 0 0%

RARE 4 17.39%

Sony 1 4.35%

SEGA 8 34.78%

id Software 0 0%

Nintendo 6 26.09%

Square 4 17.39%

Naughty Dog 0 0%

Capcom 0 0%

Total: 23

Who won E3 2000?

RARE 2 5.41%

Konami 1 2.70%

Sony 11 29.73%

SEGA 5 13.51%

Microsoft 7 18.92%

Bethesda Softworks 1 2.70%

Blizzard 3 8.11%

Capcom 1 2.70%

Nintendo 5 13.51%

Bioware 1 2.70%

Total: 37

Who won E3 2001?

Last edited by Dulfite - on 21 June 2021

You can post now, by the way! Hope everyone enjoys this! My goal is for us to finally have an ongoing E3 leaderboard for VGchartz so we can compare all time! :)

I find it difficult to rate previous E3 shows, given we know how each game turned out. I voted Square in this instance, because Chrono turned out to be the best rpg of all-time. But back in the day, prior to playing Chrono, I may have voted differently because I wouldn't have had the knowledge on just how great of a game it was going to be.  Just an interesting thread/concept.

Around the Network

Well Nintendo obviously won if they announced Virtual Boy in 95. System was such a beast.

Atari won! Jag 4 life, beetches!

Seriously, in terms of hype, Sony won, though Nintendo was close. With one number Sony gave Sega a good kick.in the junk.

In terms of games, Squaresoft followed by Nintendo.

Looking at the list of exhibitors makes me feel old. Atari and Acclaim were prominent, Activision and Ubisoft were nowhere to be seen. Crystal Dynamics was its own company instead of an Eidos/Square Enix subsidiary. EA... still sucked.

SanAndreasX said:

Seriously, in terms of hype, Sony won, though Nintendo was close. With one number Sony gave Sega a good kick.in the junk.

Looking at the list of exhibitors makes me feel old. Atari and Acclaim were prominent, Activision and Ubisoft were nowhere to be seen. Crystal Dynamics was its own company instead of an Eidos/Square Enix subsidiary. EA... still sucked.

I believe you can make telephone calls with the Jaguar controller.  First smartphone device confirmed.  

I actually wanted one but good thing parents weren't having anything.  I believe it had about 2 good games.  Alien vs Predator and Tempest.  There might have been a decent mech game also.

Last edited by sethnintendo - on 23 June 2019

sethnintendo said:
SanAndreasX said:

I believe you can make telephone calls with the Jaguar controller.  First smartphone device confirmed.  

I actually wanted one but good thing parents weren't having anything.  I believe it had about 2 good games.  Alien vs Predator and Remotest.  There might have been a decent mech game also.

Tempest 2000 and Rayman (which started as a Jag game) were well regarded.

Me, I was like, "Atari still exists?" I never was impressed by machines like the Jag, 3DO, and CD-i. I kinda wonder if Atari was paying attention to the fact that the Jag CD looked like a toilet.

SanAndreasX said:
sethnintendo said:

I actually wanted one but good thing parents weren't having anything.  I believe it had about 2 good games.  Alien vs Predator and Remotest.  There might have been a decent mech game also.

Tempest 2000 and Rayman (which started as a Jag game) were well regarded.

Me, I was like, "Atari still exists?" I never was impressed by machines like the Jag, 3DO, and CD-i. I kinda wonder if Atari was paying attention to the fact that the Jag CD looked like a toilet.

Yea meant to type Tempest but came out all scrambled.