Konami 1 2.56%

Square 1 2.56%

Namco 0 0%

Capcom 0 0%

Valve 2 5.13%

Crystal Dynamics 0 0%

Total:39

E3 1998

Source: https://www.ign.com/wikis/e3/E3_1998, also various other wikis.

Please vote on which company had the best showings of games. We are NOT limited to just 1st party games like we pretty much were for 1996. Going forward I hope to have a healthy list of third-party! I will NOT be including exclusive games under the company whose device they released on going forward, as the point of all this is to see which company has had the best E3 each year, regardless of if they own the hardware or not.

To clarify with a hypothetical example: As long as the studio is independent (such as Platinum), then their games will count towards their own presentation and not the hardware company. Rare is a weird situation, as I believe (based on what I’ve read), Nintendo only ever owned 49% of their stock, making them a second party studio, until Microsoft bought them, during this era. Because of this, they will remain separate for now.

Also, just like with the 1995 vote, I can only include 10 options. I will, however, put the ones that didn't make the cut below here just so you know and you can comment your vote for them if you'd like. Below is a list of notable games announced/shown. If I’ve missed something, or I have put something in the wrong area, it is UNINTENTIONAL. Please forgive me and I will make the changes as soon as possible.

SEGA: The Dreamcast was unveiled. Games shown: Panzer Dragoon Saga, Vampire Savior: The Lord of Vampire.

Nintendo: Announced 64DD (zip disk-like disk drive enabling N64 to play larger games) would not be coming in 1998. Games shown/unveiled: Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Pokemon Red and Blue shown on GameBoy color. F-Zero X shown.

Rare: Twelve Tales: Conker 64

Valve - Half-Life shown in near-final version

Crystal Dynamics – Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, and Akuji the Heartless.

Hasbro Interactive – Centipede (PC and Playstation game)

Red Orb Entertainment – Prince of Persia 3D

Sony – Crash Bandicoot Warped/3, Gran Turismo,

Konami – Metal Gear Solid, Konami

Square – Final Fantasy 8

Namco – Tekken 3

Capcom – Vampire Savior: The Lord of Vampire

Around the Network

Shouldn't this be more console-war oriented instead of studio specific?
Cause from the look of it, by the amount of great games announced, ps1 won.
Studio-wise however, Nintendo. Ocarina of time reasons.

Nintendo, duh Ocarina of Time.

Sony, all the great games releasing on it.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Jpcc86 said:
Shouldn't this be more console-war oriented instead of studio specific?
Cause from the look of it, by the amount of great games announced, ps1 won.
Studio-wise however, Nintendo. Ocarina of time reasons.

As mentioned in previous threads, this is based on studios. I'm more curious when it comes to independent development studios and corporations, who will win. For instance, in the last thread, Rare won as a 2nd party studio. The one before that Nintendo, and the one before that Sony, but other studios have a shot this way. I've voted 3rd/2nd party I think twice now.

Around the Network

I wish I had witnessed Ocarina of Time's reveal, I bet it was mindblowing but I was only 6 years old back then.

Keybladewielder said:

I wish I had witnessed Ocarina of Time's reveal, I bet it was mindblowing but I was only 6 years old back then.

Me too, but then again we are still witnessing those type of epic moments that kids today will grow up wishing they had seen as adults. Like Smash Ultimate being announced at the end of the Splatoon 2 trailer out of nowhere by seeing the symbol in the orange hair squid's eye. Or Nintendo stunning everyone with Banjo AND THEN also dropping Botw2 (it's hilarious watching the reaction videos seeing multiple say Nintendo can't top Banjo only to be stunned by a new Zelda story, only to find out it's a sequel rather than dlc). I think John Wick, I mean Keanu Reeves, being shown in Cyperpunk will be one of those legendary moments that ages really well over time as well. 

I voted for Sega because the Dreamcast was sweet as fuck.

Snesboy said:
I voted for Sega because the Dreamcast was sweet as fuck.

It was hella sweet as fuck.

👍🏻

Nintendo. Ocarina of Time was the big hype that year, and it was probably the strongest year for the N64 in general.