By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What are your thoughts on CTR Nitro Fueled?

Tagged games:

konnichiwa said:

Phew easy part is done:

I'd make sure you backup your save on PS+, there's a bug that can corrupt your save file and you lose pretty much everything. Seems to be only on the PS4 version atm. I'm waiting for a patch before I play anymore just incase.

Around the Network
Barozi said:
I don't own it (yet) but I'm shocked how badly the game is optimized for the more powerful platforms.

Even the base X1 can run the game in 1080p at locked 30FPS (even in 4 player splitscreen mode). That's quite impressive honestly but how on earth is there no 60FPS mode on other platforms? Even the base PS4 should be able to run it with 60FPS at 1080p resolution. At the very very least on PS4 Pro and Xbox One X but no. Instead we only get a measly 1440p even though the game should run easily at 4k (one X1X at least).
That's a pretty bad job and I hope they will release a patch for this in the future.

I doubt it'll get updated, NSane trilogy wasn't any better at utilizing hardware to the full, 30fps@1440p on PS4 Pro. Digital foundry said even the standard consoles should be able to run the NSane trilogy at 60fps.

Despite CTR being 30fps it feels good to play though, and I'm quite picky when it comes to framerates

Barkley said:
konnichiwa said:

Phew easy part is done:

I'd make sure you backup your save on PS+, there's a bug that can corrupt your save file and you lose pretty much everything. Seems to be only on the PS4 version atm. I'm waiting for a patch before I play anymore just incase.

Yeah I did it after I unlocked him :).  

This might be my favorite kart racer. Always thought people were overreacting with this one. Like PS fans who just said it was better than Mario Kart because...well its on a PS platform. MK8DX might be tied with this, but man CTR is really good.

Barozi said:
I don't own it (yet) but I'm shocked how badly the game is optimized for the more powerful platforms.

Even the base X1 can run the game in 1080p at locked 30FPS (even in 4 player splitscreen mode). That's quite impressive honestly but how on earth is there no 60FPS mode on other platforms? Even the base PS4 should be able to run it with 60FPS at 1080p resolution. At the very very least on PS4 Pro and Xbox One X but no. Instead we only get a measly 1440p even though the game should run easily at 4k (one X1X at least).
That's a pretty bad job and I hope they will release a patch for this in the future.

That's the problem with the pro/X consoles. There's no incentive for developers to support them well. It's just added time and development cost with zero expectations for the work to lead to increase in sales or review scores. It's just not worth it to most of them.

Around the Network

KLXVER said:
This might be my favorite kart racer. Always thought people were overreacting with this one. Like PS fans who just said it was better than Mario Kart because...well its on a PS platform. MK8DX might be tied with this, but man CTR is really good.

Hey, I was (and still am) a  die hard Nintendo fan but after playing CTR on PS1 back in the day, it was pretty obvious that MK64 and Diddy Kong Racing weren't exactly on the same level. CTR was obviously a rip-off but I didn't care. It was insanely fun, especially with 4 players.

I'm really enjoying Nitro Fueled but somewhere along the way, I think the Mario Kart series regained the crown. MK DS, maybe? But there's still a lot that CTR does better than Mario Kart ever did and, with this new coat of paint, I can see a lot of people being fans of Crash over Mario.

potato_hamster said:
Barozi said:

That's the problem with the pro/X consoles. There's no incentive for developers to support them well. It's just added time and development cost with zero expectations for the work to lead to increase in sales or review scores. It's just not worth it to most of them.

Well I don't really agree with that as most games use their power quite well. Especially the Xbox One X as some of the recent releases showed abysmal results on the base Xbox One.
I think the problem is that the game doesn't have a PC version atm so that's probably why they didn't bother to optimize them. But even without any optimization it should be able to run much better than it currently does.

Barozi said:
potato_hamster said:

Well I don't really agree with that as most games use their power quite well. Especially the Xbox One X as some of the recent releases showed abysmal results on the base Xbox One.
I think the problem is that the game doesn't have a PC version atm so that's probably why they didn't bother to optimize them. But even without any optimization it should be able to run much better than it currently does.

Sure there's some Sony first party games that do a decent job of taking advantage of the Pro, and Microsoft first party games that take advantage of the X, but third parties do not give a shit. With rare exception (if any) none of them have taken advantage of the hardware well.

potato_hamster said:
Barozi said:

Sure there's some Sony first party games that do a decent job of taking advantage of the Pro, and Microsoft first party games that take advantage of the X, but third parties do not give a shit. With rare exception (if any) none of them have taken advantage of the hardware well.

Again I don't agree. The problem is that these consoles aren't powerful enough to add more significant graphical upgrades AND increase framerate or resolution. Everything is coming straight from the PC versions, so it's not like they didn't bother to create and add better effects to the console games. They exist but the consoles aren't powerful enough to make use of them, so they have to use simplified effects.
Also many games use dynamic resolution nowadays. If they can't hit their target it's pretty much proof that they are maxed out by the current settings.
Others have up to three different settings to chose from.
High framerate (usually 1080p 60FPS), high resolution (usually 4k 30FPS) and quality mode (sub 4k 30FPS with higher graphics settings).

Um so yeah, this is wayyyy harder than Mario Kart. Enjoyable nonetheless