By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Battletoads looks like a cheap basic cable cartoon.

Do you like Battletoads (2019) art style?

I love it! 6 10.00%

I like it, but it could be better. 11 18.33%

It's okay. 8 13.33%

It's a little bad. 10 16.67%

It's terrible. 25 41.67%

Total:60

The game definitely isn't looking like Ori as far as animation and visual flare but instead goes the Castle Crashers route. This isn't bad as long as the gameplay is fun since my Son and I probably put in over 1000 hours into playing and replaying Castle Crashers.

Around the Network

It looks like a 90's cartoon.

I like it.

Think Rocky's modern life or something.

I LOVE ICELAND!

The art is pretty meh. Just seems like every cheaply drawn reboot from today. Should have tried to stand out. Of course, the worst part is the animation. It's so choppy and they seem to move so sluggishly. The OG Battletoads was about smooth animation and gameplay. Quantity over quality starts to hit, I suppose.

I didn't like how it looked at first either but after seeing some proper gameplay videos of it from E3 I think it looks a lot better in motion tbh, but it still takes some getting used to

it does look like they completely changed the style though, so I get why people who played the originals don't like the new one (I never played them so I dunno)

Last edited by FloatingWaffles - on 16 June 2019

That design for the Dark Queen. Goodness. That falls into the category of worst redesigns for a character. It looks like the Dark Queen's cereal commercial villain daughter. I cannot stand the art style in general. I actually inherited the original cart for the NES/SNES games from my aunt when she got rid of her old consoles like two years ago, so my experience with the series is actually relatively recent. I still don't think this is a good direction. But, that's just me.

Around the Network

My ONLY gripe is that the original Battletoads games probably pushed hardware harder than anything else at the time. They were trying to be playable cartoons, though.

This game appears to be trying to capture that spirit. It looks really fluid and fun. It may not innovate like those old games did (and hopefully the challenge is something a regular gamer can endure) but it should satisfy any fan from back then and maybe bring in some new fans.

CaptainExplosion said:
HollyGamer said:
Well isn't this games are intended to be like that? I mean that's the charm of Battle Toad.

I guess that aspect is ok. Hopefully they fix the Dark Queen's design though.

d21lewis said:
My ONLY gripe is that the original Battletoads games probably pushed hardware harder than anything else at the time. They were trying to be playable cartoons, though.

This game appears to be trying to capture that spirit. It looks really fluid and fun. It may not innovate like those old games did (and hopefully the challenge is something a regular gamer can endure) but it should satisfy any fan from back then and maybe bring in some new fans.

True. Remember how people got pissed off at the Wind Waker reveal back in 2002? Nowadays the game is regarded as a classic.

Funny enough, Wind Waker is probably the oldest 3d Zelda game that still holds up graphically.

Eh indeed, especially considering Cuphead's graphical style also exists.

Looks like a flash game. Horrendous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Looks like shit.
The gameplay looks fun tho.