By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - xCloud reportedly bests Stadia in early latency tests at E3, 4 ms vs 21ms of added latency

MS will win the cloud gaming wars.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
John2290 said:
67 is prettt bad esspecially if it fluctuates but holy hell 166 is terrible.

That's 67 total ms for xCloud, not 67 additional ms. So it's only like 4ms more than playing Halo 5 locally on an Xbox One. And the nearest server in the test was 400 miles away. That's pretty impressive, and good news for me since Microsoft's nearest Azure center is about 300 miles from me. 

Sure it wasn't a PC behind the curtain running the 'cloud' :) I would take these results with a grain of salt. It's not that hard to get a dedicated line for demonstrations like this.

The distance isn't the problem, a round trip through fiber over 400 miles only adds 6.14 ms. Yet if your stuck with your pedestrian connection, a lot of hops and traffic jams will quickly add to that number. So perhaps Google's 166 is a better indication of real world results.

shikamaru317 said:

So, the article is a bit misleading. It's comparing total latency vs total latency rather than additional latency vs additional latency, with 2 different games, one of which is a considerably more laggy game than the other. Here is the actual comparison:

xCloud- 4ms of additional latency compared to playing Halo 5 locally on Xbox One
Stadia- 21ms of additional latency compared to playing AC Odyssey locally on Xbox One

XCloud beats the speed of light!

Microsoft is in the driver's seat, but Google pushing them is good. I think Gamer Pass + xCloud has a great chance of becoming the Netflix equivalent of game streaming.

Yikes thats actually impressive

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network

Won't use game streaming on the forseable future but this is good news for people wanting to play xbox games without the HW.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I assume these aren't XB1X's in the building acting like an Azure server like MS said would be possible?

What are the odds the connection being used is Google Fiber? lol

EricHiggin said:
I assume these aren't XB1X's in the building acting like an Azure server like MS said would be possible?

The connections in such big events are the best one can pay. But for latency internet speed doesn't matter, but the distance between you and the datacenter + the route the data takes on its trajectory.

And they are claiming the closest data center which was serving the stream at E3 was 400 miles away. If true, then game streaming tech has gotten a huge leap.

CuCabeludo said:
EricHiggin said:

The connections in such big events are the best one can pay. But for latency internet speed doesn't matter, but the distance between you and the datacenter + the route the data takes on its trajectory.

And they are claiming the closest data center which was serving the stream at E3 was 400 miles away. If true, then game streaming tech has gotten a huge leap.

Claims are what I was questioning. There have been plenty of claims over the years about what's actually running on the console and what's not, and often enough it's not true. Based on the gap, it just seems too good to be true that's all. If it is legit then it's not bad in this case and Google has a lot of work to do.

In terms of Google Fiber it was just a joke. Google Fiber being used against Google to prove Google Stadia is inferior.

I live about 300 miles away from an Azure server data center. If this is true, I will be able to save a lot of money on gaming in the future especially with xbox game pass.