By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - New AMD GPUs to launch July 7th.

Not being a power whore, but more one looking for the best I can get staying silent and low-power consumption, actually I'm more disappointed that I'll still have to wait probably more than one year to see a Zen 3 + Arcturus APU.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network
Pemalite said:

There are cracks for Steam games available which makes your entire argument pretty much redundant.

It doesn't when game publishers are moving away from Steam anyways so PC gamers are still pretty much left in the same dilemma as those cloud gaming subscribers in the end ... 

It is becoming increasingly impossible to do preservation on PC because everything other than GoG or even Steam are gaining traction ... 

If you're a PC gamer, you're forced to use either Activision, EA, or Ubisoft's own authentication system even if you purchased those games from Steam so it's no biggie if you lose control of hardware as well because the compelling case to keep it doesn't exist anymore ... 

Trumpstyle said:
Random_Matt said:
Having decided to look into the cards the more I have decided they are a little shit. The power draw is the interesting one, if the XT is drawing 225W at 40 CU, what is it going to be at lets say 50 or 60? A higher spec card could hit over 300W, and at a lower power draw would probably match it with a 1660 TI.

Another thing is these boost clocks or was it opportunistic clocks, are these numbers shown against a 2070 accurate for out the box retail cards? Let us not forget the fudged numbers AMD produced for Fury which ended up being a load of bullshit.

50-60 CU's? hehe, rumor has it the high end Navi will have 80CU with HBM memory and it will use tsmc 7nm+, will have ray tracing hardware too. HBM and 7nm+ should save some power and AMD can just lower the clock slightly if needed.

Also I don't think AMD will call the card Navi, look at their roadmap, it says Navi 2019 and next-gen 2020 with 7nm+. A different name is certained.

Depends. If AMD emmploys RNDA2 on Navi 20, then possibly it will have the tracing of rays.
The rumors I have seen have pegged it at 60 CU's though... But early days yet... And grains of salt need to be taken with all rumors.

In saying that, I am keen as ducks nuts for AMD Arcturus.

fatslob-:O said:
Pemalite said:

There are cracks for Steam games available which makes your entire argument pretty much redundant.

It doesn't when game publishers are moving away from Steam anyways so PC gamers are still pretty much left in the same dilemma as those cloud gaming subscribers in the end ... 

It is becoming increasingly impossible to do preservation on PC because everything other than GoG or even Steam are gaining traction ... 

If you're a PC gamer, you're forced to use either Activision, EA, or Ubisoft's own authentication system even if you purchased those games from Steam so it's no biggie if you lose control of hardware as well because the compelling case to keep it doesn't exist anymore ... 

Steam is the defacto platform on the PC.

Cracks exist for EA/Origin/Blizzard/Ubisoft's games on their respective stores... So your argument is still pretty much redundant.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:

Steam is the defacto platform on the PC.

Cracks exist for EA/Origin/Blizzard/Ubisoft's games on their respective stores... So your argument is still pretty much redundant.

As far as 'cracks' existing on other digital retailers what exactly are you implying ? Is it piracy or some other workarounds ? I've never heard of anyone been able to game the online authentication system ... 

If you're not comfortable sharing the details publicly then feel free to PM me and maybe we can discuss it in privacy since we're derailing the thread a little bit ... 

Pemalite said:
Trumpstyle said:

50-60 CU's? hehe, rumor has it the high end Navi will have 80CU with HBM memory and it will use tsmc 7nm+, will have ray tracing hardware too. HBM and 7nm+ should save some power and AMD can just lower the clock slightly if needed.

Also I don't think AMD will call the card Navi, look at their roadmap, it says Navi 2019 and next-gen 2020 with 7nm+. A different name is certained.

Depends. If AMD emmploys RNDA2 on Navi 20, then possibly it will have the tracing of rays.
The rumors I have seen have pegged it at 60 CU's though... But early days yet... And grains of salt need to be taken with all rumors.

Do we even know if Navi can do 3 shader engines? I don't think GCN ever could as there is no gcn gpus with 3 shader engines. And I think that in Navi that each shader engine is limited to 20CU's. You can probably do less than 20CU's per shader engine so a small gpu/apu with 12/14/16 CU should be possible.

Then it also seems when you do cut-down versions of gpus you need to disable 2CU in each shader engine so in Navi 10 you must disable 4CU's at the time so 36/32/28 CU's is only possible in cut-down versions. This is my guess.

Last edited by Trumpstyle - on 16 June 2019

6x master league achiever in starcraft2

Beaten Sigrun on God of war mode

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

1-0 against Grubby in Wc3 frozen throne ladder!!

Around the Network
Trumpstyle said:
Pemalite said:

Do we even know if Navi can do 3 shader engines? I don't think GCN ever could as there is no gcn gpus with 3 shader engines. And I think that in Navi that each shader engine is limited to 20CU's. You can probably do less than 20CU's per shader engine so a small gpu/apu with 12/14/16 CU should be possible.

Then it also seems when you do cut-down versions of gpus you need to disable 2CU in each shader engine so in Navi 10 you must disable 4CU's at the time so 36/32/28 CU's is only possible in cut-down versions. This is my guess.

I don't see why not.
Still early days yet to be playing hypothetical's with the smaller details though.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

I still dont have much hope. They look ok, but they are still more power hungry than Nvidia cards and arent much better from a performance/ Dollar view. I want AMD to be competitive, but they arent there yet. Ryzen 3 looks great, but unless they drop the price significantly on the RX 5000 series cards, they are gonna be hurting.

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!! 

duplicate

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!! 

Pemalite said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

https://www.polygon.com/e3/2019/6/10/18660471/amd-rx-5700-xt-release-date-price-specs-e3

Anybody else hopeful that AMD can finally put out a good card that is more powerful than the 590? Vega cards all seem to be power hungry with bad drivers, and overheating issues. Or at least that's what I've been reading on Amazon and Newegg. 

I will quote my other post:

"So doing some digging. Looks like RDNA is a "Hybrid" design that bridges GCN to RDNA... Just like VLIW4, but more extreme.
Lots of changes under the hood, but it's still very easy for developers to leverage it if they have worked with GCN for a long time.

The doubling of the ROPS is a big boost... And one bottleneck of GCN gone. - Reducing wavefront size and increasing SIMD size so they match is another big Pro' as well and another GCN bottleneck gone.
Uplift in bandwidth and chip-wide delta colour compression and much improved caches resolves another GCN bottleneck.

It's going to result in a substantial uptick in performance per teraflop either way... I would not be surprised to see a 50% performance uplift over the RX 590."

Things like Primitive Shaders are now working as well, finally.

As for Vega... Vega was actually extremely efficient, at lower clocks and voltages, AMD though wasn't able to compete though and decided to throw out efficiency in order to garner as much performance as possible and drive the clockrates up.

Just remember though, Navi is Polaris's replacement, not Vega. Vega 7 will still be AMD's high-end part going forward.

And if we can... Try and stick to better sources than Polygon, like Anandtech.

And here we are again Pema... Talking about the Fury X 4 years later! My how the time flies! The world really has come full circle hasnt it?

1337 Gamer said:
I still dont have much hope. They look ok, but they are still more power hungry than Nvidia cards and arent much better from a performance/ Dollar view. I want AMD to be competitive, but they arent there yet. Ryzen 3 looks great, but unless they drop the price significantly on the RX 5000 series cards, they are gonna be hurting.

Reviews are out, and the cards are okay. I guess. A 2060 has 160 TDP, while a 5700 has 180 TDP. Not that huge of a difference. Temps and performance seem to be about the same give or take a few degrees/FPS. 5700 has 2GB more of RAM so there's that. But it lacks Ray Tracing which is kind of going to be a big deal eventually. 

What kills it for me right now though is the lack of Fans in any of the 5700 models. Blowers are dumb and noisy. Hopefully some company puts together a fan based model for around $300. The official launch editions of new GPUs are always more expensive than the ones that come later. So with any luck 5700 models with a fan will be $50 less than Nvidia's competition. 

P.S. The new Ryzen CPUs are just flat out better than Intel's CPUs. IMO 2700, or 2700X were great bang for your buck CPUs. New Ryzens are even better bang for your buck, and the 3900X beats Intel's best CPU in most everything. 

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 07 July 2019