By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - New AMD GPUs to launch July 7th.

Chazore said:
haxxiy said:

RTG continues to need a full node advantage to hope to match Nvidia after Maxwell in efficiency. But now they are lagging even further behind than Polaris etc. with the competition's ray-tracing cores. Catastrophic.

What gets me, is how it's supposedly absent for desktop cards, but it's going to be there for next gen systems, I mean how do you fuck up that hard?.

All Nvidia has to do now is just release a more efficient high and middle end card or 3, that all dabble in RT, and do it more efficiently, while AMD sits there with no desktop card capable of doing it, yet consoles apparently will. This has to be some sort of stupid fuck up. 

Next gen consoles aren't happening until late 2020... By then AMD will have RDNA fully sorted with Ray Tracing support.

Barkley said:

Full list of games that officially support ray tracing:

• Assetto Corsa Competizione
  • Atomic Heart
  • Battlefield 5
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
  • Control
  • Enlisted
  • MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries
  • Metro Exodus
  • Quake II
  • Shadow of the Tomb Raider
  • Stay in the Light
  • Justice
  • JX3
  • Project DH
  • Wolfenstein: Youngblood

The support just isn't there yet. No Ray Tracing support isn't a deal breaker for me.

Allot of modders have been going back and modding old games to support Ray Tracing, so that is by far not a definitive list of Ray Traced games on PC.

fatslob-:O said:
Pemalite said:

Not what Anandtech is saying though.

I was mostly posting in relation to GCN rather than RDNA so I don't know how much of this is true for the latter ... 

With RDNA, we're getting both a SIMD64 and a SIMD32 mode ... 

Interesting. If that is the case it would still take two cycles on RDNA... Still better than GCN though.
I would expect SIMD32 to be the most common mode as it just fits perfectly with the architecture.

shikamaru317 said:

The pricing is terrible. All pre-release rumors over the last couple of years pegged Navi as a replacement for Polaris, not as a replacement for Vega. The whole point of these cards according to leaks was that they would offer Vega tier performance at Polaris tier prices (less than $300). Now we find out they are ridiculously overpriced. What a major hype killer for a mid-range gamer like myself. Who knows how long we will have to wait on a $250 Navi card now, and even if we get one the performance won't be a huge increase over the current 580. 

The RX 480 8GB when it launched was $239 with the 4GB model coming at $199. So the average selling price has jumped a little... But keep in mind that GDDR6 is a relatively new DRAM technology as well as 7nm and thus the Navi GPU's should fetch a premium for the short term.

The RX 590 dropped at $279, which isn't that much below a Navi GPU.

AMD needs the higher average selling prices to drive home profits now, if they aren't super competitive with nVidia though, expect a plethora of price cuts.

EricHiggin said:

The 5700 keeps that look. A little boring to me. The XT is just different enough to make it interesting but doesn't stray to far from the typical square look. It's like the OG PS4. It's just a two tiered box, but the fact that it's on an angle gives it some flair without going overboard. The 2000 series Nvidia cards do look pretty decent.

The AIB's will likely have some better cooling and very well may go with axial fans instead of the blower. Depends on the efficiency and the overclocking capabilities and whether it's worth it or not. They are mid tier cards like Polaris was so.

The regular 5700 looks far better in my opinion, I like the clean, understated look.
Plus my OCD doesn't really like high frequency patterning. (Aka the lines) on the XT model.

On the bright side, none are pushing RGB.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
shikamaru317 said:

The pricing is terrible. All pre-release rumors over the last couple of years pegged Navi as a replacement for Polaris, not as a replacement for Vega. The whole point of these cards according to leaks was that they would offer Vega tier performance at Polaris tier prices (less than $300). Now we find out they are ridiculously overpriced. What a major hype killer for a mid-range gamer like myself. Who knows how long we will have to wait on a $250 Navi card now, and even if we get one the performance won't be a huge increase over the current 580. 

The RX 480 8GB when it launched was $239 with the 4GB model coming at $199. So the average selling price has jumped a little... But keep in mind that GDDR6 is a relatively new DRAM technology as well as 7nm and thus the Navi GPU's should fetch a premium for the short term.

The RX 590 dropped at $279, which isn't that much below a Navi GPU.

AMD needs the higher average selling prices to drive home profits now, if they aren't super competitive with nVidia though, expect a plethora of price cuts.

EricHiggin said:

The 5700 keeps that look. A little boring to me. The XT is just different enough to make it interesting but doesn't stray to far from the typical square look. It's like the OG PS4. It's just a two tiered box, but the fact that it's on an angle gives it some flair without going overboard. The 2000 series Nvidia cards do look pretty decent.

The AIB's will likely have some better cooling and very well may go with axial fans instead of the blower. Depends on the efficiency and the overclocking capabilities and whether it's worth it or not. They are mid tier cards like Polaris was so.

The regular 5700 looks far better in my opinion, I like the clean, understated look.
Plus my OCD doesn't really like high frequency patterning. (Aka the lines) on the XT model.

On the bright side, none are pushing RGB.

AMD - Here's Polaris, a decent cheap GPU that's totally worth the money. 

Gamers - That's great, because Nvidia just dropped their prices and rushed out there mid to low end cards. Off to buy a new GeForce card...

AMD - Here's Navi, it's decent and kind of expensive, but still worth the money. Go ahead and keep keep buying GeForce, we dare you...

Gamers - That's great, because Nvidia is dropping their prices. Off to buy a new GeForce card...

Years later...

Gamers - Why does the 4000 series suck so bad and cost twice as much, and why isn't there any Radeon competition?

AMD - Hate to say we told ya so.

RGB would be bad. Very very bad. Especially with Nvidia being team green and the blue team entering the space soon. You can bet there would be gamers who would set the card to just green if they could to make it look like they had a Geforce in there. Wouldn't you just love that if you were on the red team? lol

shikamaru317 said:

The prices look terrible because they went to the shits after the mining boom. Vega was more expensive at launch.

The other reason is because NVidia inflated their prices so much that even with a higher price, they are objectively still cheap compared to an RTX of similar performance. An RTX 2070 for instance starts at 499€ and goes up to 649€ in Germany.

Also, those are release prices, I'm fairly sure they will drop down fast if NVidia intends to compete with AMD

If I'm understanding Navi correctly you can only do 20/40/60/80 Compute units Gpus. Each shader engine in Navi has 20 CU's that is why you can only do 20/40/60 gpus.

Navi 10 has 2 shader engines giving 40 Compute units and you can only disable 2/4/6/8 CU in cut-down versions. So Navi Rx 5700 xt has 40CU's and Rx 5700 36CU's, you can't disable for example 3 CU's or 7 CU's.

So the low-end navi (Navi11) will have 20 CU's. And this likely means both PS5 and Xbox anaconda will have 40 CU's but 4 disabled for total 36CU's.

Last edited by Trumpstyle - on 12 June 2019

6x master league achiever in starcraft2

Beaten Sigrun on God of war mode

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

1-0 against Grubby in Wc3 frozen throne ladder!!

Trumpstyle said:

If I'm understanding Navi correctly you can only do 20/40/60/80 Compute units Gpus. Each shader engine in Navi has 20 CU's that is why you can only do 20/40/60 gpus.

Navi 10 has 2 shader engines giving 40 Compute units and you can only disable 2/4/6/8 CU in cut-down versions. So Navi Rx 5700 xt has 40CU's and Rx 5700 36CU's, you can't disable for example 3 CU's or 7 CU's.

So the low-end navi (Navi11) will have 20 CU's. And this likely means both PS5 and Xbox anaconda will have 40 CU's but 4 disabled for total 36CU's.

I'm thinking the same thing. I doubt Sony and MS will be willing to advertise 8 TF consoles against a 10.7 TF Stadia even if the former is more efficient, so I don't think we'll get specs readily available this time around, much like Nintendo does.

Unless they take half-precision or ray-tracing vectors numbers for their advertising, which is always a possibility.

Around the Network

So AMD is once again not aiming for the absolute top end, vs nvidia.
This RX 5700 XT is only abit faster than a Geforce 2070.

JRPGfan said:
So AMD is once again not aiming for the absolute top end, vs nvidia.
This RX 5700 XT is only abit faster than a Geforce 2070.

There is a Rumor that nVidia is revising it's entire product stack with faster GDDR6 as well? Should make things a bit more interesting.
https://hothardware.com/news/nvidia-geforce-rtx-turing-refresh-rumored-higher-gpu-ddr6-clocks

Despite Turing being on an older process, AMD still isn't able to garner a decisive win even with a new Architecture, which isn't good for gamers or the industry.

Cerebralbore101 said:
Random_Matt said:

? Seems well prices to me. A 580 hardly cuts it a 1440P/144Hz. 

A 2070 is a over priced card, you have features unusable at playable frame rates. The XT has better performance at a lower price without some RT which is quite frankly unusable.

580/590 can't do Witcher 3 at 1440p 60 FPS. At least not unless you turn all the graphics settings down to their lowest level. 

Couldn't it do it on a mix of High/Medium?
The RX 580 is pulling 40fps at 1440P with Ultra settings... No hairworx. - Surely High/Medium would step it to 60fps?

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11278/amd-radeon-rx-580-rx-570-review/10

Random_Matt said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

580/590 can't do Witcher 3 at 1440p 60 FPS. At least not unless you turn all the graphics settings down to their lowest level. 

Why you quoting me? I would not subject myself to a low end card.

Not low-end just yet. But definitely lower-mid range when thrown against Turing GTX. Mid-range when thrown against Pascal.

It's a good card for 1080P/1440P gaming though, but starting to show it's limitations in modern titles... Polaris just needed more oomph to last the distance.

Oh ffs AMD:

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/amd-will-support-ray-tracing-on-its-next-generation-navi-gpus-promises-full-ray-tracing-via-the-cloud/

Bugger off with that Cloud BS

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Chazore said:

Oh ffs AMD:

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/amd-will-support-ray-tracing-on-its-next-generation-navi-gpus-promises-full-ray-tracing-via-the-cloud/

Bugger off with that Cloud BS

*snip*

What's the issue with their slide ? It's mostly true since it'll be more tempting for cloud gaming developers to use multi-GPU with hardware acceleration ...

They never implied that they'd leave out hardware acceleration anyways so it's not as if they can't take both directions at the same time ... 

Just wait for Navis successor next year. It will have Ray Tracing.