By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Witcher 3 revealed for the Switch!

HoangNhatAnh said:
Vodacixi said:

Well, you remember wrong then. Most people were surprised to even see the game running on the Switch. And as such, almost everyone expected 30fps. Those who expected 60fps were almost non existent.

Zelda only drop frames on big cities. On portable mode, it doesn't even drop on those. That's not struggling. End of the story.

I want to ask you: even base ps4/xbox 1 struggled sometimes to maintain 30fps in some areas when running The Witcher 3, what fps Switch ver will have here when it encounter those areas? 

Easy: 30fps with some drops here and there to high 20s and to the low 20s. With a 720p on docked and a dynamic resolution on portable mode that ranges between 640p and 480p and all the obvious downgrade it will have, that's what we'll probably get...

Around the Network
HoangNhatAnh said:
Vodacixi said:

On the first video... you think that ocasional 1 frame dips are enough to say the game struggles? Ok, I see there's no point in trying to reason with you.

Oh, btw... about the second video, which is the one where the game actually shows heavy slowdowns. First, as I said, it only happens on the big towns (and the kokiri forest). And second... if you could actually put one and one together, you would have noticed that the second video is from version 1.1.1 while the forst one is from version 1.2. And... surprise, surprise: Kakariko Village is shown in both videos and while in 1.1.1 it shows heave drops, in 1.2 it shows NONE. And that's version 1.2. Now we are at 1.6, which is nearly perfect in both handheld and docked.

Next time put a little effort into your evidences. I have nothing more to say to you.

Don't ignore me. You can't answer my question or something? "even base ps4/xbox 1 struggled sometimes to maintain 30fps in some areas when running The Witcher 3, what fps Switch ver will have here when it encounter those areas? "

I don't ignore you. Don't you think that you're so important.

Vodacixi said:
linkink said:

I don't remember wrong, but it doesn't really matter.

There is hardly anything going on here, and i see frame rate dips.

another video showing stressing areas with massive frame rate dips. 

On the first video... you think that ocasional 1 frame dips are enough to say the game struggles? Ok, I see there's no point in trying to reason with you.

Oh, btw... about the second video, which is the one where the game actually shows heavy slowdowns. First, as I said, it only happens on the big towns (and the kokiri forest). And second... if you could actually put one and one together, you would have noticed that the second video is from version 1.1.1 while the forst one is from version 1.2. And... surprise, surprise: Kakariko Village is shown in both videos and while in 1.1.1 it shows heave drops, in 1.2 it shows NONE. And that's version 1.2. Now we are at 1.6, which is nearly perfect in both handheld and docked.

Next time put a little effort into your evidences. I have nothing more to say to you.

Yes its struggling it drops frames with basically nothing going on. Not struggling means it's nearly locked. obviously zelda BOTW is not anywhere near that. Not saying the game is not mostly 30fps. Drops are common though which means it's struggling to maintain that 30fps.  

Also the first video shows 5 seconds of Kakariko village not exactly a valid comparison.

Last edited by linkink - on 30 May 2019

Vodacixi said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

I want to ask you: even base ps4/xbox 1 struggled sometimes to maintain 30fps in some areas when running The Witcher 3, what fps Switch ver will have here when it encounter those areas? 

Easy: 30fps with some drops here and there to high 20s and to the low 20s. With a 720p on docked and a dynamic resolution on portable mode that ranges between 640p and 480p and all the obvious downgrade it will have, that's what we'll probably get...

Vodacixi said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

Don't ignore me. You can't answer my question or something? "even base ps4/xbox 1 struggled sometimes to maintain 30fps in some areas when running The Witcher 3, what fps Switch ver will have here when it encounter those areas? "

Hahaha, important or not, you're funny with your answer. Even base Xbox 1/ps4 only have 30fps with some drops to mid 20s in some areas. Now Switch which is at least 5 times weaker than base Xbox 1/ps4 can do the same? Nice logic here. Hope you didn't forget FFXV Pocket Edition case. Inb4 The Witcher 3 Pocket Edition...

HoangNhatAnh said:
Vodacixi said:

Vodacixi said:

Hahaha, important or not, you're funny with your answer. Even base Xbox 1/ps4 only have 30fps with some drops to mid 20s in some areas. Now Switch which is at least 5 times weaker than base Xbox 1/ps4 can do the same? Nice logic here. Hope you didn't forget FFXV Pocket Edition case. Inb4 The Witcher 3 Pocket Edition...

Emm... do you realize that PS4 version is 1080p and XOne is 900p... and that both have medium/high PC settings right? An hypthetical Switch version would not only cut resolution to 720p, but it would also have downgraded visuals that would go even lower than the low PC settings. And just before you say that if the go below low PC settings it will look like shit, DOOM also uses visuals below low PC settings and it still looks fine.

With those changes, I don't see why it couldn't run a 30fps with some heavy drops on busy moments.

Around the Network

the games file size is close to 100GB on the PS4 it would take an incredible amount of work to make that any way feasible on the Switch.... I guess Doom was in the 80GB region and that came down to 25 or so on the Switch but the id tech 6 engine is known for its fantastic scalability, the REDengine I'm not so sure about given the fairly poorly performing Witcher2 on the X360, I would definitely just take this as a rumour and not much else and if it did turn out to be true, I wouldn't be pre ordering it until I seen how it runs and how much SD card this would require.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Vodacixi said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

Emm... do you realize that PS4 version is 1080p and XOne is 900p... and that both have medium/high PC settings right? An hypthetical Switch version would not only cut resolution to 720p, but it would also have downgraded visuals that would go even lower than the low PC settings. And just before you say that if the go below low PC settings it will look like shit, DOOM also uses visuals below low PC settings and it still looks fine.

With those changes, I don't see why it couldn't run a 30fps with some heavy drops on busy moments.

You are making it sound much easier then it really is. wolfenstein 2  and doom both targeting 1080p/60fps on base ps4, both run mostly below sub HD resolution/lowest settings, and had the frame rate cut in half on Switch. Id tech 6 engine is also known for its great scalability. It really is a gigantic task. I would love to see it, but people are doubting it for good reason. Switch also has 50% weaker CPU the current gen, and open world games rely heavily on that as well. 

Last edited by linkink - on 30 May 2019

linkink said:
curl-6 said:

Yeah, I just finished replaying New Order on 360 less than two weeks ago, and it's definitely not in the same league as Doom 2016 or Wolfenstein II in terms of tech, it looks like a game from 2006, whereas the Switch ports look like current gen games, just blurrier.

I suspect a big part of this equation that's being overlooked is cost. Sure, they could have rebuilt Doom or Wolfenstein II from scratch to run at 60fps on Switch, but that would've cost a lot more than just cutting the framerate in half and tuning down the settings until it runs okay. Panic Button's approach was, most likely, simply the more profitable one.

Rebuilding a game for hardware is rare these days, most developers just don't do it, especially with how long games take to make these day.

AS for Wolfenstein II on switch, you can't look like a current gen game and be running at 500-600p so what's the point, they should focus on getting the resolution higher, and  overall the game would be much more visually pleasing on the eyes.

That was what i meant, that I can't see them bothering to essentially rebuild the game for the Switch, which is what would need to be done.

And hence "like current gen, just blurrier"; Wolf 2 and Doom on Switch retain almost all of the PS4 tier rendering techniques of the PS4/Xbone versions, just at a lower resolution and framerate. It was probably just easier and cheaper to do it that way than to extensively rework it.

Ganoncrotch said:
the games file size is close to 100GB on the PS4 it would take an incredible amount of work to make that any way feasible on the Switch....

It's actually not that bad, Witcher 3 + DLC + Updates on PS4 takes up about 75gb. But funnily enough Witcher 3 GOTY installed on PS4 takes up only around 45gb. PC installed with all content is apparently about 51gb. So I think they could get it down to anywhere from 24gb-32gb if they wanted.

Ganoncrotch said:
the games file size is close to 100GB on the PS4 it would take an incredible amount of work to make that any way feasible on the Switch.... I guess Doom was in the 80GB region and that came down to 25 or so on the Switch but the id tech 6 engine is known for its fantastic scalability, the REDengine I'm not so sure about given the fairly poorly performing Witcher2 on the X360, I would definitely just take this as a rumour and not much else and if it did turn out to be true, I wouldn't be pre ordering it until I seen how it runs and how much SD card this would require.

Actually the PC port of witcher 2 for 360 was a stable 30fps. it was pretty impressive at the time, even though its not even a great looking 360 game now.