By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Super Mario Maker 2: What game style do you hope/expect Nintendo adds next?

What game style do you want to see next in SMM2?

Super Mario Bros. 2 style 9 45.00%

Super Mario Land style 2 10.00%

Super Mario Land 2 style 1 5.00%

Super Mario 64 style 4 20.00%

Super Mario Sunshine style 0 0%

Super Mario Galaxy style 2 10.00%

Super Mario Odyssey style 1 5.00%

Other (explain below) 0 0%

I don't think we're getting a new style 1 5.00%

I don't want any new styles 0 0%

Total:20

So the Mario Maker Direct is over and we got tons of news. Perhaps the most interesting thing, however, was what was clearly missing.

Note the section titled "Extra Game Styles" and the fact that it is plural. Note the conspicuous blank space next to 3D World. Either Nintendo is being really stupid and accidentally implying something they don't mean and getting everyone's hopes up for nothing, or there's going to be a new game style revealed at E3 or added down the road as DLC. And it could probably be from any Mario platformer ever, too, considering we've already seen a 3D game converted to 2D, so the sky's the limit here.

Call me boring though, but Super Mario Bros. 2 is what I hope for most, just because all the enemies are different and have become iconic, the mechanics are different, and it just feels missing what with Bros. 1 and 3 already available. But I'd love to see Super Mario Land 2 as well, so long as they make it color officially for the first time ever. Odyssey would be super hype but I'm not getting my hopes up. Galaxy seems like a realistic option to expect from the remaining 3D games, as it would likely translate best. I'm up for anything though, it'd be hard to disappoint me here!

What about you? What game style are you hoping that spot gets filled with? What style do you expect Nintendo to add? Or do you think Nintendo is just being Nintendo and it means nothing?

Around the Network

- Super Mario Land 2
- Super Mario Bros. 2
- Super Mario All-Stars (Lost Levels/Super Mario Bros. style

The odds of us ever getting a true Super Mario bros. 2 sequel seem to get lower and lower each year. And that's probably for good reason. Doki Doki Panic has lent plenty of its assets/movesets to the Mario universe and the games are richer for it, but there's no denying that it wasn't a true Mario game. This gives us the perfect opportunity to revisit that world without the commitment of an entire game, or the very real threat that attempting a sequel could upend the tea set, as it were, of the Mario universe once again.

I think the assets are ready to go and their exclusion from the video was intentional to A) get us clamoring on about the possibilities, and B) give Nintendo a real whammy to unleash during E3, and just weeks before the game releases.

And who knows, maybe releasing these toolsets upon the Mario fandom will give the developers at Nintendo excellent fodder if they do decide to return to Subcon

super_etecoon said:
The odds of us ever getting a true Super Mario bros. 2 sequel seem to get lower and lower each year. And that's probably for good reason. Doki Doki Panic has lent plenty of its assets/movesets to the Mario universe and the games are richer for it, but there's no denying that it wasn't a true Mario game. This gives us the perfect opportunity to revisit that world without the commitment of an entire game, or the very real threat that attempting a sequel could upend the tea set, as it were, of the Mario universe once again.

I think the assets are ready to go and their exclusion from the video was intentional to A) get us clamoring on about the possibilities, and B) give Nintendo a real whammy to unleash during E3, and just weeks before the game releases.

And who knows, maybe releasing these toolsets upon the Mario fandom will give the developers at Nintendo excellent fodder if they do decide to return to Subcon

I know it feels very different from the other Mario games, but with all the mechanics Mario borrowed from Doki Doki Panic, it really feels like the series belong together now, and since it doesn't have to translate to the first 4 styles, they can just let SMB2 be its quirky self. If the assets are ready though, it'll be a very interesting E3. But if they're not, that doesn't mean they won't reveal the DLC at E3 with what they have so far.

I'm surprised anybody is still hanging on for a SMB2 sequel though. I definitely want to see Wart again, but they've put so many of SMB2's mechanics into other games that I never really saw the need for a direct sequel in the spirit of the first's mechanics. Now going back to Subcon, on the other hand, would be pretty neat. But if Nintendo is going to make a new 2D Mario game that isn't NSMB, which I hope they do, I'd rather they create a whole new style, one that could feature in SMM3 down the road, and integrate with the other 4 styles.

Super Mario Galaxy for the music alone

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
Super Mario Galaxy for the music alone

I didn't even think of that angle, but definitely. Can you imagine if when you were about to run out of time on a stage, the Speedy Comet music started playing?

People would make speed run stages in Galaxy style just to get that music to play. It's just about the best "hurry the fuck up" music in all of gaming.

I really hope it is Super Mario 64, but the chances are very low...Not because of technical reasons, we have Minecraft today which works fine, but because Nintendo knows well how to make a maximum amount of money with the minimum effort. The most profitable game is MK8D where they have almost done nothing.

Why invest into a more complicated Super Mario 64 mainstream builder when they can still sell the game at 10M+ with ease with a few superficial dlc.

Amnesia said:

I really hope it is Super Mario 64, but the chances are very low...Not because of technical reasons, we have Minecraft today which works fine, but because Nintendo knows well how to make a maximum amount of money with the minimum effort. The most profitable game is MK8D where they have almost done nothing.

Why invest into a more complicated Super Mario 64 mainstream builder when they can still sell the game at 10M+ with ease with a few superficial dlc.

The have a tendency to do that, but I wouldn't call SMM2 low effort. They added way more than I thought they would.

SM64 graphical style and music would be fantastic, if not for nostalgia, at least to bridge the gap between the classic 2D styles and the polished 2.5D of NSMB.

Plus I think it'd be interesting to have the trio of SM64 caps included for "unique to this style" play. I think it'd be really fun to revisit, even if only in 2D sidescroller mode, the Metal Cap, Vanish Cap, and Wing Cap.

More likely, SMB2 would be used, and while that WOULD be fun for sure, I think SM64 has ultimately more unique additions to include and more to bring to the table. But that's just me.

SW-5120-1900-6153

I want a sound effect that yells, "GO!" Only because I make kaizo levels that require the player to either immediately start moving at the start or somewhere in the level. I make levels that are essentially systematic. Every jump and land are consequential. If the players timing is off, the level is virtually impossible to beat

Insert Coin. Press START. You Died. Continue?