By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Super Mario Maker 2: What game style do you hope/expect Nintendo adds next?

What game style do you want to see next in SMM2?

Super Mario Bros. 2 style 9 45.00%

Super Mario Land style 2 10.00%

Super Mario Land 2 style 1 5.00%

Super Mario 64 style 4 20.00%

Super Mario Sunshine style 0 0%

Super Mario Galaxy style 2 10.00%

Super Mario Odyssey style 1 5.00%

Other (explain below) 0 0%

I don't think we're getting a new style 1 5.00%

I don't want any new styles 0 0%

Total:20
Amnesia said:
super_etecoon said:

Yeah, my brain was in the twilight zone.  I thought when I read your first comment you were speaking against the idea of including Mario 64.  Now that I see what you're really saying, it is kind of intriguing.  You want to see an actual 3D game engine Maker?  You want to make little Mario 64 sanbox levels?  I'm thinking that this would need to be its own game, not because it wouldn't be possible with Maker, but because it would be its own idea and worthy of an independent release and it would sell like hotcakes.

Super Mario Maker 3 !!

Super Mario Maker 3...D!

Around the Network
S.Peelman said:
I could see Galaxy work, because like 3D World it had linear levels. Not sure about the planet mechanic though. The basis of 64, Sunshine and Odyssey is almost open world, which isn’t going to work in a 2D game. Obviously they could just make a mere graphical style based on those, but I think that would be a waste because you’d miss the core gameplay of the originals. I hope those will be saved to serve as a basis for a Super Mario Maker 3D, though I’m afraid that’s a pipe dream because they feel it’d get too complicated for players.

Realistically I think SMB2 or Super Mario Land are the most likely candidates to be the last missing style.

For Galaxy, the planet mechanic would be the toughest to translate. I could see it working like that one 2D stage in Odyssey with the planet gravity mechanics, but that wouldn't be enough as you would need launch stars. Perhaps a creator could create gravity fields and set their direction as up, down, left, right, or towards a center, and then place platforms in the gravity field. A variety of switch items could change the direction of any field that didn't go towards a center. Launch stars could disable the gravity mechanic when Mario enters them and have Mario travel along a line drawn by the creator that could go to another gravity field or the middle of space, as the creator saw fit. "Outer space", that is any space outside the gravity fields already created, would have to also have a set direction for gravity, probably down by default.

super_etecoon said:
Amnesia said:
But WHY everyone want it to stay on 2D...2,5D is a bullshit marketing label. Everything they have presented are playable on a damn 2D PLAN, so far there is no 3D mode, and it is completly technically possible to propose a Mario 64 3D builder easy to use for casual players.

I think they are more referring to the style as opposed to the dimension.  It would be blocky, perhaps featuring panels that you could jump through, and honestly I'm not too sure what else they are hoping for.  Mario 64 has been outdone by many, many 3D Mario games and is like the awkward teenager version of subsequent games.  Nostalgia is weighing very heavily on that desire, I think.  But I am open to those who desire this style to be implemented to elaborate on what about the 64 style they would like to see.

In their defense, I think there's a good bit the 64 version could add. And I would argue nostalgia is all that justifies the original Super Mario Bros. style as well. Mario 3, World, and NSMB all outdo the original. Yet I still think it's fun to have it there. It does have different mechanics. Mostly in the form of simpler mechanics. SM64 would add mechanics, like the dives and long jumps, as well as punching and kicking. I believe it has a backflip somersault you can do by crouching and jumping, and a sideflip you can do by rapidly turning around and jumping during the turnaround. Then there's the caps, and the fact that endpoints wouldn't be a flagpole, but rather touching a star that could be at any point in the level. Galaxy would add all this and more, but that's the thing about these styles, they often serve to be just another layer of complexity to the mechanics with little unique just to them. 64 would have just as much unique to it as World or 3 would. I could see them adding both 64 and Galaxy, or perhaps creating two sets of interchangeable styles, with Bros., 3, World, NSMB being one set and 64, Sunshine, Galaxy, and Odyssey being another. One set with flagpole type endpoints, another set with touch the star type endpoints.

HylianSwordsman said:
super_etecoon said:

I think they are more referring to the style as opposed to the dimension.  It would be blocky, perhaps featuring panels that you could jump through, and honestly I'm not too sure what else they are hoping for.  Mario 64 has been outdone by many, many 3D Mario games and is like the awkward teenager version of subsequent games.  Nostalgia is weighing very heavily on that desire, I think.  But I am open to those who desire this style to be implemented to elaborate on what about the 64 style they would like to see.

In their defense, I think there's a good bit the 64 version could add. And I would argue nostalgia is all that justifies the original Super Mario Bros. style as well. Mario 3, World, and NSMB all outdo the original. Yet I still think it's fun to have it there. It does have different mechanics. Mostly in the form of simpler mechanics. SM64 would add mechanics, like the dives and long jumps, as well as punching and kicking. I believe it has a backflip somersault you can do by crouching and jumping, and a sideflip you can do by rapidly turning around and jumping during the turnaround. Then there's the caps, and the fact that endpoints wouldn't be a flagpole, but rather touching a star that could be at any point in the level. Galaxy would add all this and more, but that's the thing about these styles, they often serve to be just another layer of complexity to the mechanics with little unique just to them. 64 would have just as much unique to it as World or 3 would. I could see them adding both 64 and Galaxy, or perhaps creating two sets of interchangeable styles, with Bros., 3, World, NSMB being one set and 64, Sunshine, Galaxy, and Odyssey being another. One set with flagpole type endpoints, another set with touch the star type endpoints.

Cool! Those all sound like really cool additions and would be a ton of fun.  The end point being anywhere in the level, and for any objective, would be pretty fun.  I could really see us getting all of these styles...in 2D.

super_etecoon said:
HylianSwordsman said:

Cool! Those all sound like really cool additions and would be a ton of fun.  The end point being anywhere in the level, and for any objective, would be pretty fun.  I could really see us getting all of these styles...in 2D.

Indeed, I highly doubt Super Mario Maker 3D will ever be a thing. Not for a long, long time anyway. Maybe if Dreams really takes off for Sony, Nintendo will try their hand at something similar.