By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will PS5 ever catch up to the Switch in lifetime sales?

Will PS5 ever catch up to Switch in sales?

Yes, by 2021 4 10.00%

Yes, by 2022 1 2.50%

Yes, by 2023 2 5.00%

Yes by 2024 6 15.00%

Yes by 2025 4 10.00%

Yes by 2026 5 12.50%

Yes by 2027 0 0%

Yes by 2028 5 12.50%

No 13 32.50%

Total:40

I voted yes, by 2021, only because "on launch day" wasn't an option.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network

PS5 will have GTAVI, FFXVI, COD17/18/19 etc, FIFA21/22/23 etc, BF6, Kojima stuff, Elder Scrolls 6, Marvel, Monster Hunter, Ubisoft stuff... it will catch up in no time.

I'll go out on a limb and say it will. With how popular PS4 is and with Switch not being able to get third parties(that xb2/ps5) will, switch sales will prob stagnate. So I feel PS5 if going off PS4 success,will catch up quicker than anticipated

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

The poll in this thread should totally be a bet. Taking a poll option with no risk associated is no fun.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Sony is heading for a hard crash, they are censoring their developers to the point where they are simply leaving for the switch, unless Sony course corrects very soon I don't see how the PS5 will ever reach the switch. PS4 did very well and their install base is insulating them for the moment but they won't have that advantage with ps5.

Last edited by CGI-Quality - on 18 May 2019

Around the Network

the switch is more handheld i mean the ps5 in comparison to switch its a generational leap nintendo will be left behind again. theres zero next gen console to look forward to for nintendio imo

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

PwerlvlAmy said:
I'll go out on a limb and say it will. With how popular PS4 is and with Switch not being able to get third parties(that xb2/ps5) will, switch sales will prob stagnate. So I feel PS5 if going off PS4 success,will catch up quicker than anticipated

I am thinking with all the moves Microsoft has made they might be able to convince some people that would buy a PS5 might end up buying a xbox instead.

As for Switch stagnating it's definitely a possibility, i think it depends on how well Nintendo will be able to provide 1st and 2nd party software cause like you say 3rd party might be a lost cause.

BraLoD said:
PS5 sales will be going to be into PS2 levels.
That should ask your question.

I really don't see how that will happen, Sony has really gone down hill in recent years and their censorship policy is driving Japanese developers right to the switch. They'll have to completely change directions if they are going to make ps2 numbers on ps5, they are only getting away with it now because it's late gen and ps4 has a huge install base.  

Last edited by CGI-Quality - on 18 May 2019

It all gonna depend on ps5 pricing and the price difference between the next xbox and ps5.

Not sure on this one they may end up with comparable sales but it' can't be said on what outsells what at this point for example Switch won't be caught in Japan unless PS5 is a hybrid as well and if the former does as well or better than the 3DS there that's a possible 15m advantage even if PS5 does as well as PS4 did in the region. This would leave the sales battle mainly in the west NS is showing signs of being a possible 100m seller and has an entire market to itself due to the hybrid form factor PS5 has to also deal with the Xbox brand so the are several factors in play it's not just about Sony getting things right with the PS5.