By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will PS5 ever catch up to the Switch in lifetime sales?

Will PS5 ever catch up to Switch in sales?

Yes, by 2021 4 10.00%

Yes, by 2022 1 2.50%

Yes, by 2023 2 5.00%

Yes by 2024 6 15.00%

Yes by 2025 4 10.00%

Yes by 2026 5 12.50%

Yes by 2027 0 0%

Yes by 2028 5 12.50%

No 13 32.50%

Total:40

My prediction: Ps5 will sell less than Switch but more than the Switch2. Both Ps5 and Switch 2 combined will have less sold than Switch/PS4.

Ps1 and PS3 sold way less than ps2. GameCube and Wii U sold way less than Wii. It's and every other gen thing. Next gen will be disappointment if history is right.

Around the Network

It's difficult to say now, but it's more likely to do than not.

Cerebralbore101 said:

Sooooo, Nintendo Switch has been selling like hotcakes in the past two years. PS5 isn't due out until holidays 2020. With Poke'mon, and Animal Crossing set to release this year, Switch sales are about to explode. By the time PS5 comes out the Switch may very well have 60 million units sold worldwide. And sales for Switch just might keep going, and going up until 2024. So my question is this...

Do you think the PS5 will eventually catch up to the Switch in sales? And if so, how long do you think this will take? 

Switch sales are hardly outselling PS4 and it's more likely that Switch is peaking round this year. The following years, Switch will start getting slower. Pokemon may be the end of its peak. Nintendo still rules Japan, but there's not many Nintendo consumers out there to make Switch sell more than 3DS.

VideoGameAccountant said:
The correct answer is we don't know.

That said, it's typical the market leader tends to do significantly worse the following generation. Was true of the PS2 to PS3, Wii and 360 to XBox One and Wii U. You can speculate the reason why but I believe it's because the loser have a better idea of what went wrong where the winners tend to rest on their laurels and make stupid decisions. Sony has had quite a few blunders with cross-play, censorship, their Nintendo Direct thing, and the fact these games are announced years in advance. My expectation is they'll do worse but you really can't tell much without seeing the console and the games.

Even though there's truth to what you say, I don't think any of those things you mentioned would stop Sony to be very successful. Cross-play is more a media bitching than anything else and Sony can fix that if they're not doing it right now. Censorship is a non issue. The few games they censored a bit aren't relevant at all. Their direct thing is just a streaming for enthusiasts and it doesn't change how powerful a release of COD, GTA or FIFA is for Playstation. They could keep doing their direct thing or get rid of it and their demand wouldn't change at all.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

It's impossible to say with much certainty one way or the other but Sony has a very consistent track record. Unlike anyone else Sony is the only company to have never had a home console failure in terms of sales, so even without knowing anything you can put a fair bit of confidence in their next system based on history, as the ps5 will be a home console after all. Sony has the best track record.

Switch is performing well above the average Nintendo System however, it's already a proven success. PS5 isn't proven, even if history would tell us it probably will be.

PS1: 104.25m, PS2:157.68m, PS3: 87.41m, PS4: (120m?), AVG:117.35m. That's a very strong precedent.

I'd give a 60:40 chance in favour of the PS5 beating the Switch. They're coming from a very strong position to launch their next console so as long as they don't say $599 USD it should do very well.

Switch - ~100m

PS5 - 75m-150m.

Wrong gen son.

What even is this thread? We know very, very little of PS5, including crucial things like release date, price, launch lineup, etc.

There is no way anyone could make any sort of argument, for or against this question, in good faith.

It's possible that Sony's hubris causes the PS5 to garner ill will to gamers and its their worst selling console. It's possible that it's a mega success and outsells the PS2. There's no way to argue in any sort of fashion with any sort of foundation that isn't pure (worthless) conjecture.

Around the Network
johnsobas said:
we don't even know much of anything about the PS5 but I would say the probability is high the PS5 will pass the switch. It would take mistakes like they did with the PS3 for them not to. Sony will probably take the safe route and it's hard for them to lose if they do that but switch won't be too far behind.

I think this too.

I don't think PS5 will sell as well as PS4, so no i don't think PS5 will catch Switch which i think will end up selling like 100-110 million

This thread is like someone asking me who is going to win the Superbowl in 2023. There is so much we do not know. We can only take hints on what Sony is doing right now to see where they are headed. We also do not know what Nintendo have in store ether.

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

Impossible to answer this without having at least some idea of what their lifetimes will be.

Let me take out my crystal ball!